Garmin edge 605/705

rich g
rich g Posts: 124
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Hi i,m about to buy either a 605 or a 705,could someone tell me the difference and which one should i buy. thanks rich

Comments

• Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    depends what you want it for, the 705 has the ability to measure cadence, heart rate, etc. the 605 doesn't, the maps that you are able to buy for them aren't brilliant, i.e. the city navigator maps that I have for my 605 don't show cycle paths only roads, which I thought was a bit of a cheek considering that they are supposed to be cycling computers.

If you don't need all the training aids and will be riding on the roads and you just want to know where you've been and how long it took, average speed etc. get the 605.

If you want something with OS mapping that will tell you average speed etc get the satmap active 10 http://www.satmap.com/ukstore/product_i ... ts_id=3800

if you want a training aid get the 705 + sensors
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I'm going for the 705 - and order it from handtec.co.uk.....£100 less than most web cycle retailers !
  • rich g
    fossyant ditto
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Handtec are £292 if you go for cadence & HRM. I paid £7 for next day delivery as I wanted mine before xmas and ordered it last monday.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rich g
    Handtec are £292 if you go for cadence & HRM. I paid £7 for next day delivery as I wanted mine before xmas and ordered it last monday.

Hi redvee i presume by your post that you have not received it yet,i ordered one yesterday and tracked it today and City Link new nothing about the order.
  • rich g wrote:

Hi redvee i presume by your post that you have not received it yet,i ordered one yesterday and tracked it today and City Link new nothing about the order.

Yesterday was a Sunday, and today is a bank holiday.

They'll probably dispatch it tomorrow and you'll get it Wednesday.
  • redvee
    rich g wrote:

Had mine a week now, ordered dinnertime last monday when quiet in work and it arrived about the same time of day that I ordered it. Was delivered to a friends shop a few doors away from where I work and I was watching the street for Citylink.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    redvee wrote:

£262.... got your 9 and 6 mixed up.....

Ordered mine earlier today.....got the DVD City Nav for Europe for £62 ish, another cadence kit (for 2nd road bike), an additional mount for the MTB (two mounts with the main unit) and a couple of 2GB cards - reasonable price £6 each.

All for £389. Bargain...Saved way over £100 on the 'usual bike stores'......
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The 705 has barometric altimeter, makes for more accurate altitude readings and you also get grade percentage information on climbs.
  • redvee
    fossyant wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Ordered mine earlier today.....got the DVD City Nav for Europe for £62 ish, another cadence kit (for 2nd road bike), an additional mount for the MTB (two mounts with the main unit) and a couple of 2GB cards - reasonable price £6 each.

Deffo £292.
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/90 ... PackID=175
  • redvee wrote:
    fossyant wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Deffo £292.
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/90 ... PackID=175

That's with maps though, and you don't need to pay for maps. God knows why you'd buy them on mSD card anyway.

£264 - Cadence and HRM

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/90 ... ed-cadence