Tubeless Tyres

sgray100474
sgray100474 Posts: 117
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Can any tyre be run as a tubeless and are folding tyres generally tubeless?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    not all tyres can be run tubeless regardless of folding or wire bead
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Can any tyre be run as a tubeless?

with a suitable conversion kit.
    d are folding tyres generally tubeless?
    No.

folding are folding.

tubeless are tubeless.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So, if I try ghetto t/less I still need to use a t/less tyre or does the latex fluid work on all? Daft question I know but I really havnt a clue about tubeless. And what is UST?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Some standard tyres do work well, I've used Kenda Nevegals and Excavators and they've all sealed easily and not had any issues with the thin sidewalls. But not all tyres will work as well, some can be a bit "leaky", some are too loose to seat well without a lot of work, some are too tight, some have very fragile sidewalls to boot.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    UST is a standard for tubeless tyres that typically don't need any sealant to retain air (although I'm not sure what happens if you get a thorn etc. May be a good idea to chuck some in). They have a thick sidewall to prevent air loss and this leads to a heavier tyre (although you're losing the weight of a tube and sealant). You need a UST rim along with the UST tyres.
  • Hi just wanted to jump in on the thread ,i was thinking of converting to tubeless with one of the kits availible i have dt swiss 420 sl rims and run panaracer fire xc pro's has any one had any experiance with these tyres or can any of you recommend a kit ??
    thanks .
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think there's a specific DT kit. Have a look on the JustRidingAlong website, it explains tubeless and what you need pretty well.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • eamsey31 wrote:
    Hi just wanted to jump in on the thread ,i was thinking of converting to tubeless with one of the kits availible i have dt swiss 420 sl rims and run panaracer fire xc pro's has any one had any experiance with these tyres or can any of you recommend a kit ??
    thanks .

On my Kona I have Panaracer XC Pro's - one a standard folding the other a folding UST, both have been fine with no leaks or problems. I used a Joes no flats kit purchased from Chain Reaction, which includes the rim strips, sealant etc.

Today I've just fitted UST XC Pro's to my Santa Cruz - with lots of swearing and cursing involved, I used an inner tube on the rim and inflated the tyres overnight to stretch them a bit. One was fine to inflate with the tubless gubbins, the other was a right pain to inflate but then decided to play ball.

The only tip I would give is to use a track pump.
    I no longer own a Kona so the name is somewhat misleading.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Panaracer are notoriously bad for working well converted. Again, check JRA for a list of suitable tyres. I use Schwalbe, they're not cheap, but they're great tyres and work really well tubeless.

There is a DT tubeless kit, but it's based on the Eclipse kit with a separate valve, I'd recommend a Stan's kit, they make inflating tyres a fair bit easier IME.
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    http://www.tubelesswheels.com/tubeless.html

the site above seems to have a real straightforward approach to ghetto tubeless! sems to be less faffing about than some others!

I'm gettin some factory XT (775) wheels soon and intend to go ghetto tubeless with ordinary Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph tyres

.....anybody done this with the same combo.....if so did it work any good??
  • GHill
    The XT 775 wheels are UST :wink:
  • LoUiS1985
    i know.......can i still use a 20" innertube or should i use a proper rim strip??? the rim strips seem mega expensive compared to a tube? :?

and has anyone had any problems with nobby nics or racing ralphs?? as the sidewalls are very thin!
  • GHill
    You shouldn't need a rim strip with UST, the spokes are already sealed in.
  • ian220476
    ian220476 Posts: 164
    I run two UST rims and also 4 other wheels with the Joe's conversion kit. All work well and irrespective of the UST not requiring sealant, I always add it. No harm from belt and braces!

My friend tried non UST XC Pro's and they were terrible and wouldn't seal.

Schwalbe UST are very good although tight to get on the rim. Svhwalbe non-UST don't work very well and will leak through the side walls.

Maxxis tyres in general work very well.

Bontrager UST models are also good.

However for price and performance the Specialized range of UST (annotated '2Bliss') on their tyres are fantastic.
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone
  • LoUiS1985
    if i was going to use UST wheels and ordinary tyres, how would i go about it?

would i need a stans rim strip, or what about a 20" innertube, as in the 'ghetto' way?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The best setup in my mind is a UST rim with a tubeless ready tyre.

Then you've got the ease of sealing of proper UST without the added layer of latex to make the tyre heavier which isn't needed because you still have to add sealant to prevent punctures!
  • LoUiS1985

Then you've got the ease of sealing of proper UST without the added layer of latex to make the tyre heavier which isn't needed because you still have to add sealant to prevent punctures!

i haven't got any tubeless ready tyres and i don't really wanna spend a fortune on them! i'll give the 'ghetto' option a try and see how it goes!
  • GHill
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    if i was going to use UST wheels and ordinary tyres, how would i go about it?

Just add sealant. No rim strip.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

But the tyres weigh a ton already, I'll take a non-UST tyre and 50g latex vs a 150g+ weight penalty and no puncture sealing potential thanks!

The trouble with using non-UST tyres on a UST rim is the risk that the bead will retreat into the well in the rim, making inflation very difficult. If you can get them to inflate, then you're laughing!