Etape du Dales 2010: what time does entry open?

nickwill
nickwill Posts: 2,735
Does anyone know at what time entry for the above event opens on 1st January?
I know it sells out very quickly!

Comments

• I don't know the answer to your question, sozz, but I've emailed the organiser to find out.
  • I'd be interested to know as well. Last year it was 12:00 mid-day. Sportident crashed under the weight of entries at 12:01
  • heh heh heh - reply from the organiser:

"Just had word from Sportident that entries will open at 04.00am on 1st January 2010."

heh heh heh the joy of being teetotal!

Andy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited December 2009
    Was looking forward to entering this then seen the price....£40.

Nope, thats too much as far as Im concerned.....and am I correct in saying it has only 2 feeds...one at Tan Hill and one at the Moorcock Inn?....if so Im staggered at the price?

The Richmond 5 Dale had 3 superb feeds and an utterly brilliant route, was excellenty signposted and organised and was only £15....

I dont mind contributing a wee bit more for charity (or the Dave Rayner Fund) but I find the price for this and now a couple of other sportives being more of a rip off (shame)
  • Agreed, you can ride the event for free, just means you don't get to use the feed stops. I think there are 4 - also after Fleet Moss and one at Stainforth.
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:

Nope, thats too much as far as Im concerned.....and am I correct in saying it has only 2 feeds...one at Tan Hill and one at the Moorcock Inn?....if so Im staggered at the price?

The Richmond 5 Dale had 3 superb feeds and an utterly brilliant route, was excellenty signposted and organised and was only £15....

I dont mind contributing a wee bit more for charity (or the Dave Rayner Fund) but I find the price for this and now a couple of other sportives being more of a rip off (shame)

Richy, it's a lot of money, but honestly mate welll worth, will say this to you if you don't think it's worth it when you've done it, i'll cover the cost of the Circuit of the Cotswolds, I personally think that this isn't as far off being as hard as the Fred, not the savage climbs, but bloodyhell you climb and keep climbing!
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • if only they'd change the name... it's an affront to anyone with a modicum of knowledge of the french language.
  • nickwill
    if only they'd change the name... it's an affront to anyone with a modicum of knowledge of the french language.
    Agreed! My wife is half French, and one of my sons is intending to read French at University. I get lots of abuse every time I mention the name!
    I'll still be up at 4 am trying to get an entry.
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    I'm in - now for some sleep and a lie in!
  • time for bed here too. Now all I have to do is train hard enough to make the entry fee worthwhile.

Hopefully no 11 hour epic this year......
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

Richy, it's a lot of money, but honestly mate welll worth, will say this to you if you don't think it's worth it when you've done it, i'll cover the cost of the Circuit of the Cotswolds, I personally think that this isn't as far off being as hard as the Fred, not the savage climbs, but bloodyhell you climb and keep climbing!

I'm wondering if this might be a better ride for me than the FWC - I think I'd end up walking some of the Fred. Although EDD is going to be really hard, maybe I stand a better chance of riding all of this one and therefore, perhaps that is better training for L'etape. What you think?
    knowing that I can enter today and guarantee my place is a definitely bonus.
  • popette
    or maybe I'm just too scared to do the Fred :oops:
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    edited January 2010
    The Fred is just madness, I strongly recommend the EdD - yes it's hard but not crazy-hard. You won't need to push up any of the hills, tough though some of them are.
  • popette
    Entered EdD! It makes more sense.
    Well, see you there then :-)
  • nickwill
    My entry's in as well!
    I've ridden the whole route on a range of sportives, so it will be interesting to put all the hills together in a different order.
    I'm quite relieved not to be waiting with bated breath for the Fred Whitton lottery.
  • cacbyname
    cacbyname Posts: 285
    Still over 300 entries available - hope those that entered at 4am would have been awake anyway :lol:
    Is the popularity of this diminishing? I remember it selling out on the first day when I last entered a couple of years ago. In two minds whether or not to do it this year as my club does a 200km hilly audax the day before. But if I don't enter, then it will be just the Polka Dot for me this year.
  • cacbyname wrote:
    Still over 300 entries available - hope those that entered at 4am would have been awake anyway :lol:
    Is the popularity of this diminishing? I remember it selling out on the first day when I last entered a couple of years ago. In two minds whether or not to do it this year as my club does a 200km hilly audax the day before. But if I don't enter, then it will be just the Polka Dot for me this year.

I think it's more the 40 pounds entry... anyone with a brain larger than his wallet will realise it's a ripoff
    left the forum March 2023
  • nickwill
    cacbyname wrote:

I think it's more the 40 pounds entry... anyone with a brain larger than his wallet will realise it's a ripoff

For me the big sportives are a focus of my year's cycling. They are something to look forward to and to train for. Personally I don't regard a £40 entry fee, part of which pays for the event, and the rest of which goes to very worthwhile charities, as a rip off.
    If the money was all going into someone's pocket I might think otherwise.
    I'm also doing the Dragon Ride, which I think cost me £30. This is a non charity event so costs less. Again, I'm guaranteed a great day out with first class organisation. I don't regard this as a rip off either. Compare the cost of these events with cinema, music or football tickets. I know which I consider to be better value.
  • cacbyname wrote:

Why? you pays your money you take your choice......most of us, but no doubt not you Ugo, given your parsimonious nature, think nothing of spending lots of money on our bikes and kit, why not what events we choose to ride? your statement is mealy mouthed to say the least....
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • cacbyname wrote:

Why? you pays your money you take your choice......most of us, but no doubt not you Ugo, given your parsimonious nature, think nothing of spending lots of money on our bikes and kit, why not what events we choose to ride? your statement is mealy mouthed to say the least....

Other sportives offer the same package for half the price (including substantial charity donations) os slightly more, so yes, it is a rip off, whether you like it or not.
    I was just trying to justify why it hasn't sold out in 15 minutes as it did last year... this might be the reason. You wanna do it, do it, everyone is free to spend money as he likes and as you say, a lot of it will go to charity, so you do some good.
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    popette wrote:
    Entered EdD! It makes more sense.
    Well, see you there then :-)

Yep I was still up around 5am on New Years morning....I was either drunk, stupid or both....but I've entered too. Did the Fred last year. Just another to tick off :roll:

You are correct Popette, you've probably more chance of riding all the way round with this one than you have with the Fred. There's usually too much bike traffic on the Hardknott to ride it anyway, unless you are really strong.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • I have no doubt it will still get a full field, but £40 is too much for me to stomach, so I am sorry to miss it this year.
    I just hope the others don't start charging as much.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Agree with Richyboy about Richmond 5 dales---great value at £15 :) ; £40 is over the top :o ; why are organisers now `donating to charity`?? surely that is an individuals decision and should not be foisted onto entrants of what is in truth a sporting activity entry not a charitable event?? There are other ways of getting entrants to donate, eg a minimum sponsorship achieved? Doing unpaid work for charities / voluntary oragnisations as I have done ?? A few quid to charity as part of entry OK, but not what might be £15+???
    Risk getting shot down in flames on this one though I reckon!!--- :(
  • JamesBwmb wrote:
    Agree with Richyboy about Richmond 5 dales---great value at £15 :) ; £40 is over the top :o ; why are organisers now `donating to charity`?? surely that is an individuals decision and should not be foisted onto entrants of what is in truth a sporting activity entry not a charitable event?? There are other ways of getting entrants to donate, eg a minimum sponsorship achieved? Doing unpaid work for charities / voluntary oragnisations as I have done ?? A few quid to charity as part of entry OK, but not what might be £15+???

I entirely agree with you. It's annoying that as soon as an event reaches a certain status, somebody feels entitled to convert it into a fundrising event.
    The net result is that the "not so wealthy" cyclist as well as the student are put off and it turns into an event for well off posers and "wanna be seen" cyclists like the original Etape is, in essence.
    Boycot is the only sensible answer.
  • nickwill
    JamesBwmb wrote:

I entirely agree with you. It's annoying that as soon as an event reaches a certain status, somebody feels entitled to convert it into a fundrising event.
    The net result is that the "not so wealthy" cyclist as well as the student are put off and it turns into an event for well off posers and "wanna be seen" cyclists like the original Etape is, in essence.

The Etape Du Dales , the Fred Whitton and the Polka Dot were three of the first sportives in Britain. They were all set up originally as, and have always been fund raisers!
  • Nickwill wrote:
    JamesBwmb wrote:

The Etape Du Dales , the Fred Whitton and the Polka Dot were three of the first sportives in Britain. They were all set up originally as, and have always been fund raisers!

No, there is a difference... they were cycling events with a charitable scope and the Polka dot still is, as far as I'm aware (I did it in 2008 for 15 pounds I seem to recall). The other two went the route of charging over the odds infected with the charity bug... cyclists can spend thousands for their bikes, so they can spend 40-50 pounds for an event... that's the rationale.
    Personally I don't spend thousands on my bikes and I don't accept spending 40 pounds for a sportive. I think cyclist = wealthy is a gross generalisation
  • nickwill
    Nickwill wrote:
    JamesBwmb wrote:

No, there is a difference... they were cycling events with a charitable scope and the Polka dot still is, as far as I'm aware (I did it in 2008 for 15 pounds I seem to recall). The other two went the route of charging over the odds infected with the charity bug... cyclists can spend thousands for their bikes, so they can spend 40-50 pounds for an event... that's the rationale.
    Personally I don't spend thousands on my bikes and I don't accept spending 40 pounds for a sportive. I think cyclist = wealthy is a gross generalisation

But nobody makes you do these events. It's your choice. As has been said the Richmond 5 Dales is a fantastic event and wonderful value. The fact remains that for some of us there is sometimes a great deal of satisfaction in riding a large scale event with lots of other cyclists, like the Etape du Dales or the Fred Whitton. If the cost was somehow hidden and we were charged without realising the cost in advance, then that would be a rip off. As it is, as adults, we are free to make our own choices. If I ride the Etape du Dales and by doing so help a young cyclist follow his dream via the Dave Rayner fund, then I am more than happy to do so. If I didn't want to do that, I would choose to ride another of the many cheaper or non charityevents on the calendar.
    It's up to the organisers to decide what they want to charge for an event, and up to the cyclists to decide what they are prepared to pay. No compulsion, no dishonesty, no rip off! It's what is known as a free society.
  • Nickwill wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:
    JamesBwmb wrote:

But nobody makes you do these events. It's your choice. As has been said the Richmond 5 Dales is a fantastic event and wonderful value. The fact remains that for some of us there is sometimes a great deal of satisfaction in riding a large scale event with lots of other cyclists, like the Etape du Dales or the Fred Whitton. If the cost was somehow hidden and we were charged without realising the cost in advance, then that would be a rip off. As it is, as adults, we are free to make our own choices. If I ride the Etape du Dales and by doing so help a young cyclist follow his dream via the Dave Rayner fund, then I am more than happy to do so. If I didn't want to do that, I would choose to ride another of the many cheaper or non charityevents on the calendar.
    It's up to the organisers to decide what they want to charge for an event, and up to the cyclists to decide what they are prepared to pay. No compulsion, no dishonesty, no rip off! It's what is known as a free society.
    ##

No, it's not a free society... it is one where only the wealthy has the choice to do or not to do. The fact that you can choose when you go to the supermarket is great if you can afford to choose, and if they take off the caged chicken from the shelves, this won't make it into a fairer society for those who cannot afford the free range one, remember.
    Anyway, this discussion is getting far too deep not too sound ludicrous referring to a stupid organised ride somewhere in the moors.
    I pass.