nutra grain bars

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
anyone suggest anyhing better then a nutragrain bar, i usually have oat biscuits but found out they have a lot of fat in them etc, not sure if the nutragrain bars are much better.

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I prefer Soreen, flapjacks or jaffa cake bars.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Jordans breakfast bars are pretty good. They're lower in fat and higher in energy than Nutrigrain, IIRC.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I experimented with home made flapjacks for a while. They didn't work too well for me.

Then I discovered fig rolls, which work a treat. I also agree that something like Jordan's cereal bars are better than Nutrigrain. It depends on how fussy you are with ingredients. For me, the more organic, the better.

You might need to experiment to find what works best for you.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    i used to use nutrigrain bars as well, but after a while i got bored with them. i have turned to rice crispie squares! they are cheap and you can make them yourself!
    fig rolls are great as well...although be careful how many you have!
  • If you buy the real fresh fig rolls not the biscuits, they are more awesome than the dried ones. You find them in the nut section in Morrisions.
  • Crapaud
    Surprised that no-one's mentioned bananas yet. Cheap and nutritious with no packaging to get rid of.

Depending which type of cycling you do, sandwiches, cut into bitesize pieces and carried in a freezer / sandwich bag, can add a bit of variety
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Crapaud wrote:
    Surprised that no-one's mentioned bananas yet. Cheap and nutritious with no packaging to get rid of.
    what?
  • Honey sandwiches are very good

Most breakfast bars will do the trick - I wouldnt worry about the fat as you will use it during your ride.
  • Crapaud
    Infamous wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    what?
    A lobbed banana skin'll decompose quite quickly, a discarded energy bar wrapper takes ages. You could put the wrapper in your pocket and bin it later, but could make a mess of the pocket (although, admittedly, not as bad as a banana skin).
  • +20 for Soreen. The stuff is addictive.