London Calling

Helter
Helter Posts: 137
edited August 2016 in MTB rides
Hi all,

I'm looking for people to ride with in and around the London area so does anyone mind if I tag along on their next ride? Even if you're not near but you know of some good trails, suggestions would be more than welcome.

Got my bike in the summer, doing a fair bit of road riding, however i'm a novice when it comes to trails so am looking to build up my experience to tackle some of the more exciting stuff. Have only got a front suspension bike though so won't be throwing myself of any jumps just yet.

Cheers
Charge Duster (RIP)
Ragley mmmBop

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Front suspension is all you need for jumps! Unless you are going insanely huge off cliffs etc!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • I've just rode first time with those guys that do it every weekend off road about 20-30miles! Superb stuff

http://www.d2-workshop.co.uk/vcgh_phase1/forum/4

thanks

am in lewisham you?
  • Helter
    Nice one Nonna, will give them a go then :D

Cheers Rich, i've already registered with them and there's a ride in Swinley Forest on 17th, which if I don't break my leg snowboarding this week i'll be heading down to. Where did you go with them?

I'm over in Ealing, west London
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • Black
    Black Posts: 172
    Take a trip up Epping Forest or take a look at
    eppinghardcru.co.uk
  • Hi ,
    I regularly go riding in surrey hills if you are of for a ride some day. and also from ealing.

a hard tail is enough to ride most of surrey hills
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Helter, there's enough people every day in Swinley that you can usually just get chatting in the car park and hook up with people who know their way around. I'd say half the time I go I get someone asking for a hand so I either ride with them or take them to some interesting stuff and head off on my way.

If the snow sticks I'll also be there at the weekend as I quite fancy getting some snow miles under my belt.
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Helter wrote:
    Nice one Nonna, will give them a go then :D

Cheers Rich, i've already registered with them and there's a ride in Swinley Forest on 17th, which if I don't break my leg snowboarding this week i'll be heading down to. Where did you go with them?

Helter, I think you're looking at the 2009 rides list (soon to be removed) as the 17th is a Sunday, and the Swinley rides will be on a Saturday morning. If you're registered on our forum then keep on eye on it as the rides will be posted on there he week before. Just thought I'd mention it as I wouldn't want you turning up at Swinley expecting us to be there!

Greg.
  • Helter
    Hi all,
    Have just come back from snowboarding and been looking forward to getting my trail legs. There's a ride starting from Godalming this Sunday at 9am & as it'll be my first proper ride I thought Swinley's the better option for now before tackling Surrey Hills. Problem is my bike doesn't fit in the car and I won't have time before Sunday to buy a rack for it so... is anyone near west London going to this ride that my bike and I can hitch a lift with?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • Atz
    Both my bikes fit in my car with the wheels off (at the same time even) and I drive a VW polo (seat down obviously). Should take around 1 minute to put the wheels back on and whip them off after the ride and I prefer the bikes inside the car to on the back anyway both for security and fuel efficiency.

If not, you can always get the train to Martins Heron, Bagshot, Bracknell or Camberley and ride the rest of the way.
  • Helter
    Sounds like a plan! Took the quick release skewers off the bike awhile back as was locking it up near work and train times were saying it was a a good 2hrs. Have a polo too so will whip the wheels off and load the beast in that way.

Cheers!
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • Atz
    Drop me a PM when you know exactly when you might be going. Depending on weather (I want to get "proper" snow) I'll be there some time over the weekend and can show you around a bit.

edit You're not taking the skewers OUT of the wheels I hope?
  • rosierosie
    rosierosie Posts: 14
    edited January 2010
    Hey there. Just got onto this forum looking for rides to join... I'm fairly new to London / the UK, did a bit of mountain biking back home in Australia and keen to get it going again over here. I would love to get out riding in the snow and see what that is like, sounds like fun, if anyone is willing to be a ride guide.

Helter, what's this ride you're thinking of going to? Do you reckon you could fit another bike (+ me) in your car this weekend?

Cheers, Rosie
  • J09
    J09 Posts: 122
    If your not going this weekend I might also be interested...

Have been at Swinley once, but not with snow...

I'll keep checking this topic...
  • Helter
    Hi all,

You'll find the details for the ride this Sunday at the link below:

http://www.d2-workshop.co.uk/vcgh_phase ... omment-690

It's an early start but so long as the car will make it i'll be there. Hopefully see you there!

Rosie - This will be my first ride so am probably not the best bike guide but am heading there to meet up with the others who know the place. PM me if this is the sort of ride you're looking for
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I Am from Greenford (Ealing) and have a bike rack, never had 3 bikes on it but could try. Mainly interested in Surrey Hillz, 've been to Swinley and hardly think I would bother again, only if it was a family ride.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • gregsd
    edited January 2010
    Just to clarify, the VCGH ride this sunday is going to be a local ride around the commons to the south of Godalming. It'll be XC type ride and won't be including the sort of stuff you get around Peaslake (winterfold/Pitch/Holmbury Hill) or Swinley. The snow and ice will make it interesting, nevertheless! I might make it along on Sunday, so may see some of you there!

Greg.
  • Cool, I'm happy just to get out for a ride no matter where it is. Am looking forward to trying out riding in the snow. Mud and ice I'm not entirely sure about, but it's all a major novelty for me. So I've arranged to ride over to Ealing to meet Helter this Sunday and origami our bikes into his Polo. Hope to see some of you this weekend.
  • Atz
    popstar wrote:
    I Am from Greenford (Ealing) and have a bike rack, never had 3 bikes on it but could try. Mainly interested in Surrey Hillz, 've been to Swinley and hardly think I would bother again, only if it was a family ride.

Swinley is all about knowing where to go like most places are. The problem is most people get the feeling that if they follow the map from the visitor centre they should be fine which doesn't always work. If you went along without people who know it well, you'll have missed most of the good stuff. It's definitely well worth riding (although it's a different kind of riding to the Downs).
  • popstar
    I sense some hidden truth in what Atz is saying. I mean after riding trails in swinley forest when you finished riding you could well end up in Coral Reef* especially as it's a stone throw from parking area! I mean after mtb ride luxuries as swimming pool and sauna with some platter of chips ... mtb made in heaven!

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • gregsd
    So, Helter and Rosierosie, how was the ride on Sunday? Hope you both enjoyed it and sorry I didn't make it along. I overslept,which is unusual for me :oops:, I'd be interested in hearing any feedback you might like to give, either on here or drop me a PM if you prefer.

Cheers and hope to see you on another ride sometime soon.

Greg.
  • Hey there Greg, the ride was awesome, I couldn't wipe the silly grin off my face. It was a huge novelty riding in the snow, pace suited me well, good group, even the weather was kind and stayed clear and still. I've posted some pics on the VCGH forum so go check those out. Looking for another ride to join next weekend so if anything comes up I'd love to hear about it! Cheers.
  • gregsd
    Hi, glad you enjoyed the ride and you're will to come back for more :lol: Nice pictures - wish I'd made it along now! Not sure what's happening next weekend as we are short of a ride leader, so I may well end-up doing it. Keep an eye on the VCGH forum as the ride will be posted during the week.

Edit - looks like Chris is doing the ride on sunday.

Greg.
  • hi people

I live in South East London and I am often in Swinley. I have found some great rides down there which I would recommend - Tanks tracks, Downhill section by the club hut, The Wall etc and would be happy to show anybody who wants to come.

I am a winter warrior but not a snow freak so when the snow turns to mud I will be there.

Interested in cycling in Surrey Hills - never tried it - so if we can swap routes - even better!!

Al
  • Helter
    The ride on Sunday was brilliant! Was the first time out and really enjoyed it. Note for next time though, breakfast, was severely lagging by the end of it so will hopefully put that right this weekend :D

Look forward to seeing some of you there
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • popstar
    Wish I could join you guys on Sundays but due to my rotating days off , I only have weekend once a month. Usually i ride during the week. Crazysmudge* your offer sounds interesting ... as myself been to Swinley forest twice on family ride which wouldn't allow me to go off fire-roads and explore some interesting stuff, shame on me.
    Usually I ride alone :? in Surrey Hills ... did explore some stuff a bit, but not all. Only know some nice general trails on Pitch and Holmbury Hills which would place a smile on newcomers face. Having said that, am open to any invitations or offers for rides + have car and a bike rack, could fit upto 3bikes on it.

Cheer up!

• Atz
    I am a winter warrior but not a snow freak so when the snow turns to mud I will be there.

You're missing a treat there. Usual trails are good fun and a bit different in the snow, particularly if you're the first over the ground since new snow.
  • I much prefer a snow ride than have to clean my bike after a mudfest! :D

Atz, did you want to ride at Swinley this Saturday? I'm up for it, but probably need to organise a ride out there - anyone else around west London keen to head out and can provide a lift?!

Helter - are you planning to do another VCGH ride on Sunday? It all sounds good. I'd head out both days if I can score a ride out with anyone....
  • bad experience with ice and clipless pedals not keen on snow after that!

Was referred to this link by other threads - really keen on finding out about Surrey Hills havent ridden there before - any good? Normally ride in Swinley or Bedgebury and further afield okay riding on my own but better with others - very keen on getting a group of riding buddies together.

Al
  • Atz
    Seems pretty likely I'll make it there on Sat AM
  • Swinley or Surrey hills?