How much impact does cold weather have on your ride ?

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
I went out today (boxing day) for a 40 miler before our guests arrive tonight. Damn it was cold :shock: I had my gore full bib tights, under armour base layer and giordana windproof jacket .......and it still felt cold. Taking into account windchill , Id been riding 40 miles in sub zero temp.

After about 30 miles , my legs felt a bit tired and heavy :shock: , and I admit that all I wanted to do was get home and into the warmth .......pronto. Average speed was a so - so 17.2 mph , but I didnt give a hoot, I just wanted to put the bike in my garage and get into the heat.

By the 30 mile mark, I guess it just stopped being fun and it became survival mode . During summer months , when it is warmer , less windy and more fun, the same trip is easily achievable a heck of a lot faster. Would you agree that the winter biking becomes more, weather condition / motivational / Psychological / elements / effect of physics on the bike and rider in zero temps ........orientated ?

I didnt enjoy todays 40 miler at all :(

Jimmy

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Normally, not much til today. Combo of bitter h/wind, sore throat, tight chest didn't help.
    Then, found myself in Dorethea slate quarry, on hardatil with semislicks, not great but good for skills! Dog walkers everywhere, St. Bernards, Great Danes, assorted mutts.

Went through some shallow ice edged puddles, then tried to get through a biggee...freezing water was over me feet!!! Exited and heard Psssssssssssssssssttttttttttt.
    Huge thorn in tyre, so changed tube but it was about 1 degree.

So, weather played big part today, but mountains/Snowdon covered in snow so the views made up for the wind, cold, puncture,

Going again Monday.I'm MAD me!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I ride better in the cold. At least until my fingers freeze.

Cold weather keeps me, well, cool!
  • I went out today, did a hilly 21, started getting cold towards the end when caught in a few wintry showers, I must admit I would not have enjoyed doubling the ride today, but did enjoy what I did and will look forward do another ride tomorrow.
    If I did the 40 in the wet and cold my motivation for tomorrow would be right down.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cold weather is fine.

It's the sheet ice that is a pain. I walked a couple of the miles today of my ride.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • JimmyK
    Splottboy wrote:
    Normally, not much til today. Combo of bitter h/wind, sore throat, tight chest didn't help.
    Then, found myself in Dorethea slate quarry, on hardatil with semislicks, not great but good for skills! Dog walkers everywhere, St. Bernards, Great Danes, assorted mutts.

Went through some shallow ice edged puddles, then tried to get through a biggee...freezing water was over me feet!!! Exited and heard Psssssssssssssssssttttttttttt.
    Huge thorn in tyre, so changed tube but it was about 1 degree.

So, weather played big part today, but mountains/Snowdon covered in snow so the views made up for the wind, cold, puncture,

Going again Monday.I'm MAD me!

sorry for laughing, but that is funny :wink:

Jimmy
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    edited December 2009
    JimmyK wrote:
    I went out today (boxing day) for a 40 miler before our guests arrive tonight. Damn it was cold :shock: I had my gore full bib tights, under armour base layer and giordana windproof jacket .......and it still felt cold. Taking into account windchill , Id been riding 40 miles in sub zero temp.

After about 30 miles , my legs felt a bit tired and heavy :shock: , and I admit that all I wanted to do was get home and into the warmth .......pronto. Average speed was a so - so 17.2 mph , but I didnt give a hoot, I just wanted to put the bike in my garage and get into the heat.

By the 30 mile mark, I guess it just stopped being fun and it became survival mode . During summer months , when it is warmer , less windy and more fun, the same trip is easily achievable a heck of a lot faster. Would you agree that the winter biking becomes more, weather condition / motivational / Psychological / elements / effect of physics on the bike and rider in zero temps ........orientated ?

I didnt enjoy todays 40 miler at all :(

Jimmy

I also went out today with the intention of doing 60 miles on my own. I was keen to get out and burn off some of the xmas grub and also try out my new Castelli gloves. Everything going well until 45 miles in and I got a puncture. It then proceded to rain so I'm at the side of road trying to fix it, getting pissed on in the process. Then rode off and about a mile later I got another. No more tubes and around 15 miles from home so had to get the misses to pick me up. She'd had a bit of a day and could have done without it but came to my rescue...thank god. Found a sharp stone had penetrated the tyre so at least I know what caused them.

Hey ho...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    How much impact does cold weather have on your ride ?

Dunno.... Never asked her! :shock: :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    you might not complete if you face plant into blue sheet ice when the crossing barriers are coming down. it didnt help when my helmet strap got stuck fast between the rails.
  • JimmyK
    the nights are getting longer guys and its 8 weeks until springtime...............it cant come soon enough :D

Jimmy
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I just take the ride more steady and dont go flying downhill in this weather.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Garz wrote:
    I just take the ride more steady and dont go flying downhill in this weather.

Similarly actually. I find I end up pushing harder in the climbs because then grip/falling is less of an issue. Then straights are taken fast and I massivly slow down for corner and any kind of sketchy descent.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    With proper clothing, you should be ok. If necessary, just add more layers.

I don't back off on fast descents as mentioned above. I just keep pedalling and manage to keep warm enough.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    I have been determined to continue riding through the winter no matter what the weather.

The single largest factor for me is timing.
    Like most people with families the window of opportunity is small and can be buggered by the weather very easily. But I have become pretty resilient the last month or so and have actually come to love the cold weather. I get a nice smug feeling after putting in the effort when I know many others haven't.

Having said that, I went out this morning for a 25 miler and it was very windy and quite nippy. Spent the first 10-12 miles riding into a killer headwind which sapped the strength from my legs. Combine that with 2-3 days of excess food and drinking prior to todayand it was a bloody hard ride.

Will be out again tomorrow though :wink:
    I ride therefore I am
  • Ditto (well to a point) having said that I used the On-One during the 5 day freeze before Christmas, was kinda cool in the snow and ice on the roads.

However I sometimes wish I had not sold my old CDale F1000 with slicks it was perfect in this kind of weather
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    Bhima wrote:
    I don't back off on fast descents as mentioned above.

You're either a cycling god or just very brave. Either way if that's how you ride then it's only a matter of time... :roll:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    JimmyK wrote:
    the nights are getting longer guys and its 8 weeks until springtime...............it cant come soon enough :D

Jimmy

Well, we've passed the shortest day of the year, so the nights are getting SHORTER and the DAYS are getting longer from now on!

(I take back what I said about going faster in the cold - went out today and rode like a sack of crap due to the cold weather. Jut couldn't get warm enough to get going!)
  • JimmyK
    Pokerface wrote:
    JimmyK wrote:

Jimmy

Well, we've passed the shortest day of the year, so the nights are getting SHORTER and the DAYS are getting longer from now on!

(I take back what I said about going faster in the cold - went out today and rode like a sack of crap due to the cold weather. Jut couldn't get warm enough to get going!)

aye, thats worra meant :oops:

im planning on going out on tues, but the weather forecast flat out sucks :( the wife is whining in my ear about me going planning on going out :x

Jimmy
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    JimmyK wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    JimmyK wrote:

Jimmy

aye, thats worra meant :oops:

im planning on going out on tues, but the weather forecast flat out sucks :( the wife is whining in my ear about me going planning on going out :x

Jimmy

Join the club. My cul-de-sac has so much ice that the Belfast Giants are training on it! The main roads are clear but I prefer the country back roads and just don't want to chance it when the temperatures are barely above freezing. My garage was so cold the other day that I started a turbo session with a hat and Gore jacket on and finished it an hour later having only removed the hat!! The really frustrating thing is that the sun is literally splitting the trees here and yet it just isn't warm enough to burn off the frost and ice.
  • Not so bad here in London, but still gets a bit nippy after a couple of hours. Definitely struggling to get those base miles in at the moment - was aiming for 60 miles today, but bailed after 50 when my toes told me to go home!

When you take a step back, it is a bit wierd that we do long slow rides at the coldest time of the year...
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I haven't been out for two weeks now. My road and the next one is covered in a sheet of hard pack ice. The main roads look clear but I suspect they are very icy. Have been having to wear either leg warmers or knee warmers plus a jersey when on the turbo in the garage to try to keep warm. Can also see my breath as I ride!!
  • JimmyK
    im considering paying a visit to dave kanes tomorrow to get a jar of assos chamois cream, i thought my butt could live without it, but now i am not so sure. i too find it a bit uncomfortable around "t`arse" section after a lot of miles :oops: do all of you use chamois cream......what is the consensus ?

Jimmy
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    edited December 2009
    JimmyK wrote:
    im considering paying a visit to dave kanes tomorrow to get a jar of assos chamois cream, i thought my butt could live without it, but now i am not so sure. i too find it a bit uncomfortable around "t`ars*" section after a lot of miles :oops: do all of you use chamois cream......what is the consensus ?

Jimmy

I've got some Assos cream but only used it the once. Are you sure you need it, or have to looked at your seat position lately?

Is your saddle too high, or maybe you need some new shorts?
  • Sudocreme does the job and it's loads cheaper than the Assos stuff.
  • JimmyK
    TornadoTom wrote:
    Sudocreme does the job and it's loads cheaper than the Assos stuff.

thats not bad thinking tom, would sudo ease the chafing in the t@rse region ?
  • JimmyK wrote:
    TornadoTom wrote:

I use sudocreme - it limits chafing and is antibacterial too
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    It`s not so much the cold (which I`ve `beaten` with Giordana windfront tights, Asso 851 + baselayer + pertex top, double gloves and overshoes) but the frightful road conditions---a week of ice on all country lanes :( , now more snow today! (mid Wales)
    Have done a few 15 mile rides on main roads and that`s about it. Have managed about 40 miles total in last 2 weeks whilst in wet windy weather November was doing 150 miles each week :) .
    MTBing is a no-no too with frozen ground and patchy ice, now all under a couple of inches of snow.............
  • JimmyK
    TornadoTom wrote:
    JimmyK wrote:
    TornadoTom wrote:

I use sudocreme - it limits chafing and is antibacterial too

got a big tub of sudo at the chemist today, £5.18, same sized tub of assos woulda been £10.00 , nice call Tom.

Jimmy