garmin edge 705 or garmin edge 605??

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
hi everyone

ive decided to take the plunge and get one of these babies. i have the edge 205 and its been a great companion, but as i try and up my training this coming year i felt i could do with a cadence and heart rate monitor, and better gps.

anyway, im a bit confused between the 605 and the 705. the latter is extra ££ but does anyone know what the difference between them is? is it worth paying the extra money?

thanks and happy xmas!

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Think you need the 705 if you want HR.
    More problems but still living....
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    thanks for the reply. just been on garmin site and i think you are right.looks like the 605 lacks cadence and hrm.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Go to handtec for the 705, they are selling the HRM & cadence with micro sd mapping for £292.45. I paid the extra £7 for next day delivery and have spent the evening putting it on the bike and playing with the settings.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • 705. Get it.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    another vote for the 705 from Handtec. Arrived next day and no issues at all.

Its a good piece of kit, but does have a learning curve, as it has soooo many functions. I got it primarily for the mapping functions but since it came in Nov I havent done any longer rides outside of routes I know, but next year will see me doing lots more long distance rides in unfamiliar places so I have no doubt it will prove its worth. The basic functions work very well and you can customise it to such a level that you can really make it show what you want.

Dont buy the crazy overpriced maps though as there are plenty of sources for free maps all over the web from lots of reputable opensource mapping sources. Just download, copy to the 705 and you're done.

Highly recommended if you like your gadgets with you on a ride :D
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Also the 605 does not have altitude you have to download it when connected to the computer
  • 705 best thing I ever bought for a bike.
    200 quid on eBay over a year ago, it was new....total bargin
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    giner1961 wrote:
    Also the 605 does not have altitude you have to download it when connected to the computer

:?: :?: :?:
    More problems but still living....
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    I have the 705 and have had to send it back twice. Both times due to the usb port breaking due to getting wet. The little rubber padding is not really enough to protect it if its either poring down or you are chucking a lot of spray up. You can diagnose this problem by the fact that you are riding along and your edge claims its lost external power, thats your usb connector shorting out.

Both times garmin have been excellent, though you might need to chase them as they can take a while to respond to your query. I hardly use the sat nav feature, which is not that great. The training software is ok, if you just want to see a graph of your heart rate, speed etc, but you have to pay for a map for it.

The altimeter works of pressure so you will find your start/end altitude on a loop circuit will never be the same. I wouldn't fly a plane using it but then thats not what its made for.

The heart rate monitor and cadence sensors work fine. Im too poor to afford a power sensor so cant comment on that.

I would give it 4 out of 5 due to the lack of waterproofing around the usb socket, the top however is fine and is sweat proof too.

Hope that helps