drilling rims for Schraeder valves?

sam_anon
sam_anon Posts: 153
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had enough of my current innertubes so want to change to Schraeder valves.

Has anyone on here drilled their rims to fit them?

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I've done it quite a few times, 8.5mm drill bit & a round file is all you need.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    What is wrong with the presta tubes you have been using?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    On a few rides now they're just gone down, so I end up looking for a puncture that isn't there! :(
  • yeah had the same problem with mine so drilled the rim out and bought michelin dh tubes @ £12 each there pricey but i havnt had a flat in 6 months :D
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i much prefer shrader, thay are more reliable IMO, and they are easyer to pump up fast IMO, and they work at petrol garage pumps.... and they are stronger, and they........
    I like bikes and stuff
  • i much prefer shrader, thay are more reliable IMO, and they are easyer to pump up fast IMO, and they work at petrol garage pumps.... and they are stronger, and they........
    Yep...presta offer no benefits over shrader.
    Presta is fiddly and a pain in the arse to pump up.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited December 2009
    I prefer schrader too but this doesn't really sound like a problem being caused by valves to me...
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Yep...presta offer no benefits over shrader

Presta will go through a schrader hole. Schrader won't go through a presta hole. But I think that may be the only advantage :lol: Oh and in theory the smaller holes should make a stronger rim but in practice that doesn't seem to happen, or the difference is negligible.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Reason presta valves came about is that they are supposedly quicker to pump up as you don't have to overcome the spring as on shrader. Oh, and are more aerodynamic.

You can buy adaptors valve caps.

Drilling may void warranty.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    supersonic wrote:
    Reason presta valves came about is that they are supposedly quicker to pump up as you don't have to overcome the spring as on shrader. Oh, and are more aerodynamic.

You can buy adaptors valve caps.

Drilling may void warranty.
    in practice i find the oposite is true, they are so small and fiddly, and you have to be so much more carfull when using a mini pump that they take forever!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Soooo....

Presta - made for girly XC types that are used to everything being a bit smaller.

Schrader - built for men, by men.

:lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Schrader isn't quite so good with muck either, mud or wee stones can cludge up the valve. If you idiotically ride around with no valve caps. So don't do that :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Schrader isn't quite so good with muck either, mud or wee stones can cludge up the valve. If you idiotically ride around with no valve caps. So don't do that :lol:
    Wee stones? as in kidney stones?

What you doing pissing on your innertube valves?! :shock:
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    yep shrader valves are way better but ive had no real problem with presta valves so wont change them.
    i just cant get my head around why the presta was introduced, it should of been thrown in the bin with all the other usless fixes for things that are not broke.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and narrow valve/spoke areas. and they inflate faster at lower pressures.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Soooo....

Presta - made for girly XC types that are used to everything being a bit smaller.

Schrader - built for men, by men. Just like all those nightclubs in Brighton....but hey, if that's what floats you boat Benj

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."