chain skipping gear when putting pressure on pedals

trail muncher
trail muncher Posts: 73
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
hi
i have put a new chain on my bike and now every time i got to put pressure on the pedals the chain skips a gear at the rear the new chain has the same amount of links as the old one and i dont know how to fix it and tips would help thanks

Comments

• m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    You need a new cassette as well.
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    As above, chain and cassette must be changed together.

The reason being, they wear together.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rubbish....you'll usually need 1 casstte for every 4/5 chains, none the less it sounds like you need a new cassette.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well it depends - if the cassette is worn, it does need replacing - that can be after 1 chain or more.

But it could be the chainrings too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed SS, it was AJ's 'MUST' I was taking umbidge with!

As for the 'wear together' LOL...every rotation the same link will hit a different tooth in half the gears (all the odd ones!).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • it IS likley that your cassette will need replacing as well, - i found this out a couple of weeks ago after the same headache, when the new and old cassette were offered up it was hard to see any visible difference - but did the trick.
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • supersonic
    They do wear together pitch wise overall - the trick is to change the chain before the pitch gets to a state where it will not accept the new chain. This way you can get 3 chains generally to a cassette before it is totally worn.

If you use the same combo for a long time, then often both do need replacing.

However many mistake the skipping for the cassette when it is jumping over the worn chainrings - and alu chainrings can wear fast.
  • *AJ*
    Agreed SS, it was AJ's 'MUST' I was taking umbidge with!

As for the 'wear together' LOL...every rotation the same link will hit a different tooth in half the gears (all the odd ones!).

Simon

Your very argumentative on here aren't you. arrogant even.

As said above, the idea is to replace the chain before it wears to much.... taking the cassette with it.

9/10 people do not do this though (hence my must... )
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    *AJ* wrote:

Not really accurate that though is it? You can change your chain without needing to change the cassette as long as you change the chain in time, i.e. before it has worn. There are various methods of measuring wear.
    On my Dolan I've been through about 4 chains and still using the same cassette.
  • supersonic
    Full theory can be seen here, 3/4 of the way down:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
  • Ahh. Sheldon Brown, the final word in any bike maintenance debate. Merry Christmas Sheldon, where ever you're riding now?
    ~Jessica
    Astounding Adventures
    Hill Walking - Mountain Biking - Climbing - Team Building
    http://www.astoundingadventures.co.uk
    Call free: 0333 121 2125
  • supersonic
    He'll be looking down on us, that is for sure! On his wacky bikes!

RIP Sheldon.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    This is an obscure one, 99% of the time I would expect the same diagnosis as above, but two weeks ago my road bike was playing up in this way, working fine till I got to steep hills, then it slipped. On careful inspection I found one of the chain plates had broken, it was still holding together but presumably it was starting to twist apart under heavy load. So very unusual, I know, but do inspect your chain thoroughly. (It wasn't a particularly well used chain either).
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I had this recently, had 7 months on the same chain/cassette and they are both fubar'd :(

Oh well, I need a new rear wheel, so may aswell get a new cassette while I am at it :D
  • *AJ*
    dodgy wrote:
    *AJ* wrote:

Not really accurate that though is it? You can change your chain without needing to change the cassette as long as you change the chain in time, i.e. before it has worn. There are various methods of measuring wear.
    On my Dolan I've been through about 4 chains and still using the same cassette.

I will repeat once again....

As said above, the idea is to replace the chain before it wears to much.... taking the cassette with it.

9/10 people do not do this though (hence my must... )
  • thanks it the same cassette and chain that had been on for the past 18 month the chainset was replaceed by an slx one in the summer no new chain was put on then
    i guess i might go 9 speed and put slx front and rear drailler on and a new cassette
  • *AJ*
    thanks it the same cassette and chain that had been on for the past 18 month the chainset was replaceed by an slx one in the summer no new chain was put on then
    i guess i might go 9 speed and put slx front and rear drailler on and a new cassette

you said you'd put a new chain on in your first post?
  • yer sorry the new chain went on yesterday
  • *AJ*
    So therefore you'll need a new cassette mate if its skipping about it usually means that they dont fit together properly.

However im sure someone will come along and pick fault with what ive just said again. :lol:
  • yer like i said before i think i will go 9 speed and put the slx gear on as that a reasonable price
  • *AJ*
    yer like i said before i think i will go 9 speed and put the slx gear on as that a reasonable price

New chain, cassette and shifter is required.

Chain and sprockets are narrower as they use the same freehub as an 8spd so these are a must.

You can adjust an 8 speed rear mech to run 9 speed as its just a slave component which is told what to do by the shifters.