team sky - why the london launch

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited December 2009 in Pro race
posted on facebook for those of you that dont :-

Many people are asking why the team launch, and the public ride are in London on 4th January. Here's a quick explanation.

Firstly, pretty much all the riders, coaches and mechanics who have to come to the launch live abroad [as it's generally easier to live in continental Europe as a pro-cyclist. Even the Brits], so London logistically offers the best transport options to return to the UK with the airports and Eurostar [don't even go there on either subject given the snow lately!]. Why not host the launch in Europe? Well, it wouldn't matter where we hosted it, 90% of the team would need to travel to get there, and we feel London is the most convenient location for everyone we need to be there to travel to (particularly on direct flights to limit air travel to only what is absolutely necessary).

Secondly, due to the public ride we needed a city conditioned to mass-rides, and our biggest Skyride public events have been in London to date. We feel comfortable knowing what does, and doesn't work in and around the central city area.

Thirdly, we needed an appropriate venue for our media engagements and although many cities admittedly offer options, London offered us the most venue options for us to select from.

Fourthly, the launch is just part of a bigger team operational meeting to distribute bikes and kit etc so, again, inbound transport hubs were key.

And, finally, following the launch the team departs to a training camp in Spain [or Tour Down Under in Adelaide for others] so, again, the best transport options were around London.

Phew! So as you can see it was a combination of reasons. Each in their own right could be argued either way, but collectively they all pointed to London. This explanation may not satisfy all of you, but hopefully you appreciate the sentiment.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Aren't most of the British riders based near the Velodrome though?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Aren't most of the British riders based near the Velodrome though?

Some are but the backers/bike suppliers/media are probably london/home counties based.
    M.Rushton
  • they'll all be moving to London soon enough anyway, once the 2012 velodrome is up and running, if my sauces are correct...
    Shame as I will miss seeing them out training on my hills ;)
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    if my sauces are correct...

Heinz or HP...???
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Given TeamSky is Brailsford's baby, and his 'other' job remains as Performance Director of the GB Track Team, it is highly unlikely that there will be any wholesale move to London.

Plus, the new BC HQ is being build adjacent the existing velodrome as part of the new BMX facility, so it wouldn't make sense.

That all said, makes little real difference, as most of the riders live and train in Europe (N Italy, S France or N Spain) and spend most of the season travelling to races.

Getting excited about the Classics season now, as that's where I think Sky have a genuine chance of good results with the likes of EBH, Flecha, Gerrans, Lovqvist etc.
  • Only in the UK would a team have to justify where they are going to launch!!!

Where on earth did people think they were going to launch. It was obviously going to be London given that the company chosen to do the launch is run by Dave Bs PA and is based in London!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Where on earth did people think they were going to launch.

Well.....

If the WRU were going to Launch something they'd do it in Cardiff, because they are based in Cardiff.

If Everton were going to launch something they'd do it in Liverpool, because they are based in Liverpool.

Team Sky's UK base is Manchester isn't it?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    redddraggon, they might have an admin base in Manchester but the team is being created to publicise Sky. Not just the British TV channel but the sister operations around Europe and News Corporation further afield.

If you want free publicity, you don't force the media to trudge up to Manchester as less people will travel up, especially as the photos might be of less use. Sky's launch will involve time at Sky's studios in West London, the photo ops will have the riders depicted against the London Eye, Big Ben etc. No one in Milan will recognise a photo op in from of Salford Quays.
  • Their Service des Courses is in Belgium, it's just admin staff that work for Sky but are paid by BC who are based in Manchester. Bit of a grey area as to where the boundaries are but Sky are the sponsor and are based in London. Most teams launch where their sponsor is based rather than where their admin staff work.