Anyone else use waist packs?

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Many moons ago I bought myself a Marin waist pack that has a good sized compartment and 2 water bottle holders for riding. I never really used it much but about 6 months ago I dug it out and found myself using it on most of my rides. I tend to use it on trail centre rides or on some of my quick local rides.

I find it much more comfortable on rides than the Camelbak's I have, the weight is low down, it doesn't bounce around and I like to have my shoulders free from straps and clutter.

I've been looking at replacing it with something a little newer but nothing I have seen seems to be up to the job. The best thing about this one is that the water bottle pouches are sort of moulded making it easier to get them in and out of during the ride.

Anyone else use one on a regular basis that they can reccomend?
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I use a 'bum bag' on my road bike otherwise my back hurts. Camelbacks exclusively for mountain biking.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i used to use a berghaus one, sounds similar to the one you've got. 2 water bottle holders, one large main pouch and a smaller zipped one on the front. very comfy to wear, the only reason i stopped wearing it was because i bought a camel back. maybe worth a look? :D
  • scale20
    I was looking at a north face one in Cotswolds yesterday. There was plenty of room in it but the water bottle holders were elasicated at the top, it took me quite a few attempts to get a bottle into it stood there in the shop so trying to do it on the ride would be near impossible.

been looking at an Innov8 waist pack from wiggle. Takes a bladder so no need for bottles.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I have an inexpensive Lifeventure pack that supplements my CamelBak when I want to carry a bit extra. The two seem to fit together very well.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Yeah, got 2 or 3 of these. Work ok if bottles not too tight, but better for running.
    Have raced XC with light C-Bak for fluid, waist belt for tools, tubes etc.
  • It's about time they designed a waist pack with reservoir. It would be a lot cooler in temperature to wear and keep the liquid cooler as well. The tube could come up under your arm as well rather than going over the top so would be shorter.
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's about time they designed a waist pack with reservoir. It would be a lot cooler in temperature to wear and keep the liquid cooler as well. The tube could come up under your arm as well rather than going over the top so would be shorter.

Don't Inov-8 do one?

The only thing that bothers me about waistpacks is that it's not much fun to fall on one if you crash.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Rozza
    Rozza Posts: 75
    Have a look at the Camelbak Flashy, Merlin's got em in.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/camelbak- ... hflow.html

1.3L bladder and enough for a few spares. The tube clips over your shoulder and works pretty well.

Used one all year, diggin it the most.

Shabba.
    Wolf Ridge, mmm bop, XTC Composite, Uncle John
  • scale20
    Nice one rozza, good find. How much can you get in it?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Rozza
    Rozza Posts: 75
    Spare tube, puncture kit, multitool, chocky treats and a mini pump if the bladders not brimming.

The pink one looks amazing, I'd treat yourself to one. They had none in stock when I got mine and I was gutted!

:lol:
    Wolf Ridge, mmm bop, XTC Composite, Uncle John
  • scale20
    hmmm, pink :?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    You need to have a look at the Wing Nut backpacks.

The problem with carrying stuff round your waist is that it isn't always secure and the more you carry the more it becomes unstable. The Wing Nut packs solve that by having the carrying pouches low down, but having a webbing harness so that the load is carried on your shoulders, not your lower back.

The only thing is that whilst they are bladder compatible they don't actually come with one. They aren't cheap either.

The other route you could go down is have a look at military webbing kit - most systems like PLCE and ALICE are modular and VERY adaptable.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I bought something like this from Aldi or Lidl in one of their sales and I seriously have no idea what I was thinking.

Put it on just to show my mate how daft it looked and he nearly fell over laughing! There might be ones out there that look ok but this was just terrible.

Might wear it out on the road bike with baggies, mtb helmet and mtb shoes just to see how far I can push it before a roadie kicks me into a ditch!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Ah this takes me back. In the years BC*, when thirstosauruses walked the earth, we used bumbags all the time to carry stuff. Some of them ended up as real feats of engineering with almost the capacity of a small rucksack.

In fact, I think I still have a Mountainsmith Day bag somewhere. It's freaking enormous:

http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.a ... egory2Id=0

Ultimate Direction used to make brilliant low-mounted hydration packs, and still make hip packs that carry bottles:

http://www.ultimatedirection.com/produc ... 7&page=all

*Before Camelbak
    John Stevenson
  • that mountainsmith buzz 2 looks decent

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44281

anyone know if you can get a mini pump and spare tube in the main compartment?
  • scale20
    I like the look of that mountainsmith buzz 2.

This is the Marin one I use.

2009_12220001.jpg

I must have bought it back in the late 90's. The water bottle holders are moulded making it easy to get them in and out on the fly and in the main compartment I can carry 2 tubes, multitool, tyre levers, leatherman, small 1st aid kit some sweeties and a packlite waterproof.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • R+P+K
    R+P+K Posts: 49
    It's about time they designed a waist pack with reservoir. It would be a lot cooler in temperature to wear and keep the liquid cooler as well. The tube could come up under your arm as well rather than going over the top so would be shorter.

Camelbak do.

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreati ... shflo.aspx
    http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreati ... ntara.aspx
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Tell you what, those Mountainsmith bags look the business, and not over-expensive either. I'd still want the shoulder straps though.

A quick bit of Googling reveals that they are available in the UK from HERE.

I can see the Camelback getting put out to pasture here... :idea:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I'm looking for a Camelbak Montara but can't seem to find one anywhere, and all the sites that do have them haven't even got them in stock.

Anyone had any luck getting hold of one?
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I had the thoughts of getting peeved with my heavy big camel bak with all my gear, so i took everything out, and swapped all my gear round, like changing to a smaller pump, instead of taking all my keys, just take my front door key, take just a £10 note instead of my wallet etc etc.. swapped the camel bak to a bum bag from halfords (£18) and then bought the small reservoir camel bak

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43319

This is an excellent combination!.. lightweight and like me need more than 1 bottle on board.
    With a bum bag you can harldy feel it, maybe its where is sits, but much easier.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I have a CamelBak Mule and its a bit big and overkill for short rides around the local trails. Just ordered that CamelBak Flashflow, it looks ideal!

Good spot!

(along with some shiny XT shifters)