Changing to larger rotors on Avid Juicy 3 - Questions!

Broonster
Broonster Posts: 440
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

Looking for some help before I embark on upgrading to larger rotors on my Avid Juicy 3 brakes. I have a 185mm rotor on the front and a 160mm on the rear. I'm buying a new 203mm rotor, which I'll fit onto the front, and will put the 185mm on the rear.

Would someone mind just double checking I have the correct parts before I order please?! :oops:

This 203mm rotor:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31677
Will this come with fixing bolts, will I need to buy new bolts or will the existing set I take off the 185mm or 160mm suffice?

This 203mm adaptor. It's going onto an IS set of RS Revelations, with standard QR:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13720
Again, can anyone tell me if this will come with the relevant fixing bolts or do I need to buy these separate?

Finally, this 185mm adaptor for the rear:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15259
As above, will this have the relevant fixing bolts with it and will the rotor bolts I take off be fine to use when fixing back onto it again at the rear?

Phew! Thanks in advance for any help offered!
Winter: Moda Nocturne
Road: Cervelo R3
'Cross: Ridley X-Night
Commuter: Genesis Day One

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    re-use the existing bolts for both new rotor and adaptors.
    the new stuff may come with new bolts but they will fit pretty much the same as the
    old ones.
    shouldn't be any problems either way , its just post mount brakes that have varying bolt
    lengths.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    presuming the same fitting for the fork and frame and the same calipers are being used the adaptors will be the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Luvely jubbly, thanks chaps. :D
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    edited December 2009
    Can you buy an adapter to fit a 203mm disc to the rear also?

EDIT: Sorry bit of delving and yes you can. What does the IS bit mean?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • nicklouse
    Yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Ok cool thank you. I'll have to go measure mine to see what they are. Nothings straight forward is it...

The Juicy 3's should be more effective with a larger radius due to more leverage I believe? Cheaper than Codes and I'm sure as inefectual in enqual measure.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • nicklouse

EDIT: Sorry bit of delving and yes you can. What does the IS bit mean?

Looked in the FAQs? or the tech links sticky?

try it some time.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Can you not use the existing front adaptor on the rear rather than buying a new one?....
  • nicklouse
    *AJ* wrote:
    Can you not use the existing front adaptor on the rear rather than buying a new one?....

if it is a 185mm front adaptor.

Look in the FAQs.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Im not asking, I dont need to know, I was just curious for the thread starter.