Old big hits

All-rounder malli
All-rounder malli Posts: 250
edited December 2009 in MTB general
What is the point in all the old specialized big hits having 24 inch rear wheels? Can you not put 24 inch wheels in?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What is the point in all the old specialized big hits having 24 inch rear wheels? Can you not put 24 inch wheels in?

think you have typoed there.

correct, a 26" wheel does not fit unless you buy a new rear linkage from BETD.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BETD dont make them any more - ive got a mate who wanted one - we I tried to get one for him - but no luck - would be interested to know if theres anywhere else that does them tho........

we managed to fit a 26" with a semi slick summer trail tyre on - it just looked all wrong......
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited December 2009
    At the time it was the only way to get the amount of rear travel and geometry that Specialized's designers wanted :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ibbo68 wrote:
    At the time it was the only way to get the amount of rear travel.

not true.

there were other bikes with the same or more travel and did not need a 24" wheel.

It was what the designers of the Big Shit wanted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Big Shit
    That's a bit harsh. I like mine.

But now I know how to post words that are otherwise blocked or hidden.

More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    iv never understood why they did that....? i know it accelatrates quicker, and the wheel is lighter and stronger, but it doesnt carry speed as well, and tyres are a mission to get...
    I like bikes and stuff