Unscrewing the cap on a CamelBak reservoir

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited December 2009 in MTB general
The other week one of the comics reviewed a 'tool' to unscrew the cap on a CamelBak reservoir; fair enough I thought - maybe some folk find it difficult. Then this week I read another CamelBak review and cap is difficult to unscrew was listed amongst the negatives :shock: :)

So - truthfully - are there any hairy-ars*d MTBrs amongst us who find it difficult to unscrew the cap? Just curious like.

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    I've always found the camel back reservoir difficult to unscrew, especially with cold fingers.

The shape of the cap means its very easy to tighten (and hence overtighten), but very hard to undo. It's just badly designed.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    If I'm unscrewing it at home after a ride, then I remove the mouth piece from the tube and let the pressure out. Seems to make it a bit easier.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    bit of gt85- no trouble!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    An arthritic 99 year old woman would be able to unscrew a Camelbak reservoir cap!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited December 2009
    There's a tool available to unscrew it. But I'm at a bit of a loss myself, I have the hands of a child, a girly child at that, but I've never had any problem. Don't really understand Jedi's comment, assembly is the reverse of disassembly after all, the design works exactly the same way to tighten or loosen.

<edit, no, that's cobblers, for right handed use it's easier to tighten, Jedi's right>
    Uncompromising extremist
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I find they can be a bit of a Sh!t to undo, It's difficult to get your fingers in there for a good grip. My other half is looking for a new bladder for her pack but is looking for anything but a camelbak one, reckons it's harder being left handed to open it :?:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Northwind
    scale20 wrote:
    reckons it's harder being left handed to open it :?:

Mmm, I would have thought that'd be easier.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Northwind wrote:
    scale20 wrote:
    reckons it's harder being left handed to open it :?:

Mmm, I would have thought that'd be easier.

Yea, thinking about it you get a better grip with your thumb to push.

I will have to try later :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Northwind
    Though now I need to go back and edit my post because suddenly I understand what Jedi meant, and he's right...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • MrChrisP
    MrChrisP Posts: 321
    I've never had a problem with undoing camelbak bladders. Then again I'm a skinny git so prob can't tighten them all that much.
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    I seem to remember the tool thing being called a Slug??
    Seem to remember it in MBUK or MBR. :D
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/j ... ener-23668

Looks like a useful tool. I know what people mean about it being easier to tighten than it is to undo for the right-handed user.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • you all need to MTFU!!! :lol:

almost as bad as the tool that puts a tyre on for you....
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    you all need to MTFU!!! :lol:

almost as bad as the tool that puts a tyre on for you....

+1

come on ladies there is a limit to how many things you can buy to make it easier for you. You ride bikes in freezing conditions, baking conditions, up hills that quad bikes wouldn't attack and down hills that have the potential to cripple you for life - you can use your hands to undo the cap of a camelback!!!
    Not really active
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    you all need to MTFU!!! :lol:
    Thanks Ben :lol:
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    If it's tight use your teeth!!!
    oh and MTFU :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i always manage to unscrew them....but it is definately more awkward to undo than it is to do up....especially with my big mashed hands and fingers...

And if some water gets frozen in under the seal, then it pays to defrost that under running water before trying to turn it.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    It's not difficult, but the pressure used does mean that I'm worried about my big fists of ham ripping the bladder.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    My 5 year old one sometime is completly locked on and I don't even tighten it up fully as it can be a little leaky through the top. I've been in situations where my hands are raw and none of my mates can undo it either. It always gives in the end and that is the reaon I've not bought a new one. The tool looks great but I'd rather just buy a new bladder... but am strangly fond of 5 year old one that I have never cleaned out. Gross or what.

Grease and oil only seem to make the situation worse for some reason it acts more like some form of Camel Pack super gluing compound.