Durham

FHKJ
FHKJ Posts: 151
I'm off for the next ten days in Durham, with a few days in the lakes in between xmas and the new year, anyone know any good routes around Durham/Croxdale for 2/3/4 hour training rides??

Thanks, FJ

Comments

• Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Years since I lived round there, but I'd try getting in touch with Houghton le Spring Cycling Club (just outside Durham). Their website is http://www.houghtoncc.btinternet.co.uk/
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • Anderl
    Anderl Posts: 70
    From Durham you have lots of options. Generally speaking you head either South or West. I quite like to go via Bearpark to Edmundbuyers and around Derwent reservoir (around 3 hrs ). My favourite is Willington, Woodlands, Middleton in Teesdale, Stanhope, Tow Law to Durham. 4 hrs although at the moment with all the snow it's hard to imagine the roads will be in condition for your arrival but things change quickly. My club, Ferryhill Wheelers meet up at Rushyford RA at 9.30 on Sundays for our clubrun ( flatish routes in winter ). That's the RA south of Chilton and about 30min from Durham. Hope you enjoy it.
  • FHKJ
    FHKJ Posts: 151
    Guys, thanks so much for the replies. Arrived yesterday to glorious sunshine today but too much slush for a ride, so about to climb on the turbo. Forecast says it should improve this week, so hopefully I'll get out tomorrow.

Anderl, ignorance is bliss, but what's an RA?

I'll be trying the Willingon-Tow Law ride when the roads improve.

FJ
  • roundabout ?

not certain like
  • Weardale, Stanhope and Muggleswick Common are very near Durham. Loads of routes there. However, it can get icy. The Muggleswick Common roads are high moorland roads and subject to icy blasts.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4