Winter bike question

S0rin
S0rin Posts: 106
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Hey,

I’m a novice, after my first road bike, looking to buy it within the next few days, but have a few questions – sure the store will answer these questions, but good to know beforehand.

I’ve read that many people have winter bikes, are these a necessity? Are they preferred as to minimise cosmetic or mechanical wear caused by salt on the road, etc, to main bikes, or are they required to facilitate different tyres etc?

Also, can you put mudguards on all road bikes?

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    You c an't put full mudguards on all road bikes, that's one of the reasons for a winter bike.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    my winter bike runs 7/8 speed which are much cheaper to replace than 10 speed. Salt destroys steel and eventually get into bearings so keep them cheap. I can't afford to have a 600 pound bike destroyed in a winter, far better to get a hack and save the best bike. And, you can't have too many bikes :lol: so make one your winter hack.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Also, can you put mudguards on all road bikes?

You can fit Crud Road Racer mudgurards (clip ons) which are very highly regarded.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    You can fit Crud Road Racer mudgurards (clip ons) which are very highly regarded.

As in the ones which everyone is finding a right bodge job to fit properly in the name of saving 50 grams :shock:

I use Tortec razor guards, they do the job fine.
  • S0rin
    S0rin Posts: 106
    dodgy wrote:
    You c an't put full mudguards on all road bikes, that's one of the reasons for a winter bike.

That answers my question perfectly, cheers.
  • S0rin wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

That answers my question perfectly, cheers.

.......Or gives you an excuse :wink: 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    PianoMan wrote:

As in the ones which everyone is finding a right bodge job to fit properly in the name of saving 50 grams :shock:

I use Tortec razor guards, they do the job fine.

No, as in the ones that are easy to fit and give you almost full coverage and a quiet ride whilst still being cheaper than most of the alternatives...