WKO+ version 3

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
Just checking it's not April 1st....

Despite having shelled out $99 for WKO+ version 2, Training Peaks now expect me to chuck another $64 their way to upgrade to the just-released version 3.

Thanks lads, I think I'll wait til the new version of Poweragent comes out. Nice try though.
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Yeah, can't see the point tbh, I'm probably just about hitting information overload as it is and I don't think anything new will add any more to my training.

Does it give anything new and great?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Don't buy it! The NP calculations are broken if you're using a PowerTap that's not recording at 1second, and probably also on an SRM at other than 1second recording.

So even other than the annoyance of having to pay a lot for upgrades, the actual product is worse than 2.2. Aswell as the actual analysis bugs - which letting out into a release suggest very poor internal testing which leaves me suspicious of all the calculations - not the thing you want from a company which only has the calculations selling it - the UI certainly isn't a seller.

The new Quadrant Analysis feature is available for free in both GoldenCheetah and SportTracks. The scatterplot in SportTracks (although in a pretty poor UI there) however it's pretty poor in WKO 3.0 aswell, why does the HR axis start at 0, when there's not a single value below 160 - you just get a blob at the far right hand side.

The other new feature is region comparison - letting you compare graphs of two or more seperate sections or rides. Not excessively useful that I can see, and Dot Racing in SportTracks does it for a lot lower cost if you want it to.

A disappointing release, not supporting PowerTap is a real kick in the teeth of credibility for me, and I will not be upgrading.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • chrisw12
    Quadrant analysis...

Going to spend my reading time over the weekend on that one.

Can someone start me off?

When I'm teaching correlation, we plot the mean point then draw vertical and horizontal lines splitting the plots into four, is this what quadrant analysis does/is, or am I barking up the wrong tree, or just barking?

By the way, I've learnt more statisticss from these forums than I could ever learn from textbooks.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    If its any consolation, I feel a bit cheated by SportsTracks as well. I came to the end of the trial period for the map overlay plugin so thought I'd do the decent thing and donate. Instead of getting rid of the splash screen at startup telling me the trial period has ended, I now have a different splash screen telling me full functionality is available for another 10 Euros. Funny thing is, that 'full functionality' appears to be what I had before I donated in the first instance! I've now paid for the plugin and got LESS than what I had with the free trial! :? :evil:
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    GavH wrote:
    If its any consolation, I feel a bit cheated by SportsTracks as well. I came to the end of the trial period for the map overlay plugin so thought I'd do the decent thing and donate. Instead of getting rid of the splash screen at startup telling me the trial period has ended, I now have a different splash screen telling me full functionality is available for another 10 Euros. Funny thing is, that 'full functionality' appears to be what I had before I donated in the first instance! I've now paid for the plugin and got LESS than what I had with the free trial! :? :evil:

I do agree that the Old Man Biking plugins and their nagware - which are just about the only non-free things in ST are annoying. The core ST is free though.

Also it looks like the NP calculation in WKO+ will be fixed very shortly - well fixed already, hopefully released very shortly.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • DaveyL
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Quadrant analysis...

Going to spend my reading time over the weekend on that one.

Can someone start me off?

When I'm teaching correlation, we plot the mean point then draw vertical and horizontal lines splitting the plots into four, is this what quadrant analysis does/is, or am I barking up the wrong tree, or just barking?

By the way, I've learnt more statisticss from these forums than I could ever learn from textbooks.

I think there's a bit in Coggan and Allen's book about Quadrant Analysis.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL wrote:
    Just checking it's not April 1st....

Despite having shelled out $99 for WKO+ version 2, Training Peaks now expect me to chuck another $64 their way to upgrade to the just-released version 3.

Thanks lads, I think I'll wait til the new version of Poweragent comes out. Nice try though.
    If your purchase was very recent (like in the past 30 days) I suspect if you asked them you will get the upgrade for a reduced transfer difference only.

Remember that this new version (which I haven't as yet downloaded myself yet) does provide two, user transferrable licences, enabling you to deactivate/reactivate on different machines as you see fit.

As for additional features, well I haven't played with it yet but as I understand it, you can now overlay ranges or workouts, which might be pretty handy at times when you want to compare rides, efforts or races (or parts thereof).

QA is a well discussed / documented functionality and there are items on that on the TP website here:
    http://support.trainingpeaks.com/traini ... lysis.aspx

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/ ... lysis.aspx

There is also a 14 day trial available for no charge.
  • I have shelled out and was disappointed to find I can't download direct from my Foreunner 305. Had to download it into WKO2.2 and then upload the file into 3.0. Anyone else solved this? I want to drop 2.2 eventually but looks like I will run them in paralell for a while. I also found that when I uploaded 2 years data from 2.2 it didn't upload estimated TSS values I have always put in for rides on my non Powertap bike (by overiding original zero values). Going to have re-enter these manually, that's going to be fun day over Xmas/New Year
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, so far I'm sticking with 2.2 :shock:
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Hmm, I've just bought a second hand Powertap Comp, so I'm new to all this. I downloaded the free trial of v3.0, and on my work laptop running Vista it reads the data successfully with the Device Agent, but then crashes WKO+ when I try to open the file. On my spare laptop running Windows 7, it produces an error reading the data. The Poweragent software works fine on both machines.
    I don't think I'll be paying for a licence just yet, I've already spent more time figuring this stuff out than training....
  • chrisw12
    Edwin wrote:
    Hmm, I've just bought a second hand Powertap Comp, so I'm new to all this. I downloaded the free trial of v3.0, and on my work laptop running Vista it reads the data successfully with the Device Agent, but then crashes WKO+ when I try to open the file. On my spare laptop running Windows 7, it produces an error reading the data. The Poweragent software works fine on both machines.
    I don't think I'll be paying for a licence just yet, I've already spent more time figuring this stuff out than training....

Edwin, stick with it, it is worth it in the long run.

If you can get the data from the device using poweragent why don't you just transfer it across to wko+ using <file> <open>?

Good luck with it.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Thanks, rookie error really - there was no proper data on the device! Looks like it's working now, I just need to spend some more time setting it all up, so I can get proper readings for everything. Unfortunately I'm away all of Christmas, but I'll make it a priority in the new year to get some decent data to analyse before I decide whether to buy it...
  • GavH wrote:

Try the Training Plugin. It's free and provides NP, TSS, IF, CP and all that.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    GavH wrote:

Try the Training Plugin. It's free and provides NP, TSS, IF, CP and all that.

Got it already. It really does seem to provide a good bit of what WKO+ is renowned for and is very useful. The GPS 2 Power Track plugin is very interesting also, but without even beginning to understand how it works, I can't even begin to understand if it's actually any good! Interesting nevertheless.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Plug Ins?....
    I'm still dealing with the basic WKO+ :shock:
    Maybe I should move with the technology.... :?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • xlr8
    xlr8 Posts: 2
    I signed in yesterday to watch Hunter Allan give a webinar tour of the new features in version 3.0. Prior to watching, I was certainly pretty skeptical about the value of the upgrade. After watching I have a bit more appreciation for the new features, and probably will upgrade - the multi-file analysis letting me compare key monthly power test workouts side-by-side is the clincher.

The webinar was recorded and is now available on the training peaks site here: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/videos/archived-webinars---professional-edition/wko-v3-overview-for-athletes.aspx. The session lasts about an hour, but it's the best overview of the new features and what they can do for you that you're going to get.
  • hopper1 wrote:
    Plug Ins?....
    I'm still dealing with the basic WKO+ :shock:
    Maybe I should move with the technology.... :?

Plugins are for SportTracks, not WKO+!!
  • DaveyL
    xlr8 wrote:
    I signed in yesterday to watch Hunter Allan give a webinar tour of the new features in version 3.0. Prior to watching, I was certainly pretty skeptical about the value of the upgrade. After watching I have a bit more appreciation for the new features, and probably will upgrade - the multi-file analysis letting me compare key monthly power test workouts side-by-side is the clincher.

The webinar was recorded and is now available on the training peaks site here: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/videos/archived-webinars---professional-edition/wko-v3-overview-for-athletes.aspx. The session lasts about an hour, but it's the best overview of the new features and what they can do for you that you're going to get.

Thanks for this - will check it out.

I am sure it will be very good if it is an improvement on WKO+ 2.x. My only gripe is the cost. Those for whom WKO+ is their first purchase will pay $129 for the software. Those who are coming to WKO+ 3 from WKO+ 2.x are expected to pay $64 in addition to the $99 v2.x cost. I do feel that's a bit excessive.
    Le Blaireau (1)