Bike box for Airnimal Chameleon

careful
careful Posts: 720
edited December 2009 in Tour & expedition
I am thinking of buying an Airnimal Chameleon but I am having trouble sourcing a suitable sized hard case mainly for air travel. The Airnimal cases seem to be unobtainable. There are plenty of hard suitcases that are long & deep enough, but none are wide enough to accomodate the 24" wheels (I guess about 26" dia including tyres). Any ideas?

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Have you looked at Wiggle?Has plenty of hard & soft cases
    Also This bike shop really plugs airminal when I asked about a folder..Maybe they can help..it seems their website as a few recommended bags for airnimal
    http://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/folders_airnimal.html
    jc
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Thanks jc4lab - bicycledoctor list a Delsey case that is just right for the Chameleon.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Have you contacted Richard Loke at Airnimal?

I have a very early Airnimal, and IIRC the suitcase option was a standard Delsey model. If you get the size / model from Richard then any reasonable luggage shop could get one for you.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • If you are still stuck then see if Spa Cycles can help as they are airnimal dealers; I seem to remember that they told me Delsey were no longer doing the suitcases but a different brand was now sourced.
  • FWIW
    I have a standard Samsonite and I put the bike in that, after taking off the pedals, seat post and the handlebars. I also run the derailleurs to the small ring and big cog which gives them more protection. I then put the wheels in the wheel bag from Richard and take it as handbaggage. It will fit through all the scanners I've used. All in all takes about 10 minutes.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I have a dahon 20inch wheel folder and use normal size large suitcases from the local charity shop.

Beware the increasingly awkward air travel rules.

Actually I would like to know if there is a site that tries to keep up to date with the consstantly shifting airline rules regarding cycles.

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow