Deja vu... shopping for a(nother) new Road bike!

mattward1979
mattward1979 Posts: 692
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Hey all

After having my Spesh allez stolen and the insurance company being kind enough to pay for a replacement, ill be looking to get a new bike in the New year with a budget of around £750

Where can you reccomend for New year sales? Do you think I could get a carbon frame for that in a sale? Would I want to?! or stick with a top end Alu frame for the price..
exercise.png

Comments

• flip that reminds me to insure my new bike... who were ya with was it specific to the bike or part of your house insurance... I haven't a baldy about bike insurance as I've never used it before. (Probably obvious)
  • Was there anything wrong with the Spesh to make you go looking for a different make?
    Doubt very much you'll get carbon, even in the sales for that money, not new anyway, but maybe second hand?

Oceanblue - with regards to insurance, I've just added my new Ltd Ed Team Carbon to my house insurance (Barclays buildings and contents) and it covers use away from the home. No increase to my policy this year and only £30 extra next year. That also covers any bike upto £1000 not just my road bike I rang about.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Ocean, My insurance was with Abbey, but during the claim turned out the policy was with Ival (nope I never heard of them either!). And I only had to state brand, model and serial with a value and it was insured along with the contents. Not even a question about the type of bike lock!
    Called them with a crime ref, sent an email of a scan of myu receipt, and 1 day (1 day!!!!!!) later got a call confirming the cheque. Awesome service.

Greg, no the spesh never let me down, was a real pleasure to ride and I loved every mile I put in astride it.. Im just keeping my options open as sora shifters make my wrists ache so was hoping for a Tiagra/105 equipped bike for a small premium over the insurance payout. If it comes down to a toss up between a similar spec bike of a different brand, ill always go for the spesh again. Im new to road biking so obviously curious about whats out there....

Like a guy that loses his virginity and wonders about the difference between all the women he sees =D
    exercise.png
  • anyone have any thoughts on the Bianchi Via Nirone?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bia ... e-ec021257

Campag Veloce/Xenon setup
    exercise.png
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I think you'll get a Tiagra/105 Spesh for that with a small premium

Allez Sport, or whatever they call the equivalent these days?
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rich Hcp wrote:
    I think you'll get a Tiagra/105 Spesh for that with a small premium

Allez Sport, or whatever they call the equivalent these days?

Allez Elite is Tiagra-spec for 2010.
    List price is £799.99 , so not far off.

if you get a 10% discount code from Evans , that would bring price down to £720.
    (just checked & no current discount codes unfortunately)

I've got one & very happy with it.

Mike
  • Hmm thats a definite contender.. Just hope they do a Discount code for new year!
    exercise.png
  • Bill D
    Bill D Posts: 62
    Can't a bike shop make up one for you? You could have the (top end alu) frame you want with the components you want within your budget. Epic cycles did this for me this time last year - I got a made to measure one-off bike for the price of a standard £750 product. Epic are good, but depending where you live (they're near Tenbury Wells) I'm sure they're not the only place where you could get this kind of service.