RPCC Ride - Sat 19th / Sun 20th Dec

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Right, as last week's thread is already turning to talk of this week it's clearly time to kick this bad boy off again! :P

Once again, lots of plans to race on Saturday, so Sunday is looking like the day for it and there already seems to be a few takers - please be sure to post on here though, just so we can easily tot up the numbers 8)

If you do want to go out on Sat then don't let us stop you, and please feel free to use this to arrange something :D

Now, to convince myself not to run the tubs now that I have the winter tyres on them... :roll: :lol:

So, for those of you heading out, here's the usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 9am start on Saturday is most likely,
although keep an eye out as different start times seem to be happening now and Sunday might be favoured by some
:arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate), by the little white building
:arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph usually, but nobody gets dropped (unless a 'hoonfest' is on the cards - see note * below) :arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-30mins)
I say it every week, but it remains true so I won't stop: As ever we'd like to emphasise that new faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! 8)

It would also be good to see some of the faces we have seen over the past months re-appear too - not sure where they've all gone or if they've stopped watching these threads due to the emergence of the hoonfest, but hopefully some of you might venture out again this weekend, if not sometime soon...? :?

A collection point at Hampton Court can be arranged as that tends to be the route out. Please let us know if you need to take this option - it's usually just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again so if you plan to use this option we need to know, and please be on time (although there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be a little late coming through). Collection time there is likely to be around 20-30mins after the agreed RP start time so again, keep an eye out.

So, who is about this weekend? :shock: 8)

Comments

• i am. definately.
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    What's the plan? Is there a Hoonfest™ happening, or is it just a leisurely one? I presume the latter, as Saturdays' efforts might have taken it out of a few of us and it might be good just to bimble and stretch the legs and chit chat. Social, like.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    might be good just to bimble and stretch the legs and chit chat. Social, like.
    That was always my plan - decent length, nothing hectic, wrap up warm and get a good 4-6hrs in 8)

Oh, but a hoon through the roundabouts, clearly :wink:
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    And then ride home via the Boaters in Kingston for a pint of Christmas ale (or a mulled wine, if you're that sort of person)...
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Potentially - chances are I'll stick with the north london sunday ride though.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I agree :-) I haven't been out with you guys since August and am itching to get out for a proper ride. I'm assuming mudguards are the order of the day? I've just fitted my raceguards and want to try them out too :-)

I'm happy for a Sunday bash if that's the general concensus. Box Hill tea stop still open now?
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Rich-Ti
    jrduquemin wrote:
    I'm assuming mudguards are the order of the day?
    There'll be none on my bike :P
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Yep, definitely up for this one....am not back in London long so would be nice to get out with you guys (Won't next be riding in London until summer! I can hear tears rolling down your cheeks)....
    ....Agree with Phips, we'll probably give it some up the hills but waiting and regroup should be the order of the day I reckon...it is winter after all. Up for blasting on the roundabouts though....if people get dropped then, we could just stop and wait at that left turn off after the last one (the junction with the arrows to hook etc, oh and the petrol garage.....I believe there is a layby shortly before it, could be mistaken, ask Rich the resident expert of laybys and quiet hard-shoulders :wink::lol: )
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    We could do a 'standard format' - i.e. we wait. It's always nice to give it beans up the hills then regroup, eh?

If everyone knows the way home from the roundabouts though, then it's defo time to unleash it and have a hoon. If there are people along who don't know the way then it's just rude, and we shouldn't do it.
    Agreed.

Or we could do a loop of the roundabouts and latch onto the back of any slower folk, regroup that way?
  • FHKJ
    FHKJ Posts: 151
    If it ain't snowing my bald head will appear for the first time to say hello and take up the role of back marker...
  • i'll be on my fix so will hang on if possible but othewise trundle back with anyone else who wants to go slow :D
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • Mark73
    Mark73 Posts: 146
    I am itching to get out at the moment, but work and family commitments seem to be conspiring against me right now. Really need to get out for a proper ride, but its just not happening, the daily commute is just about keeping me sane!

I have just built up an all black, super stealth, Dolan Pre Cursa Fixie too and I haven't even been able to get out on that for a proper ride either. If any of you guys are about over Christmas and intend to head out keep the posts coming because things should ease up a little for me in the next few weeks.

Anyway, have a lovely ride folks and wrap up warm. Love riding at this time of year; cold crisp and clear!

cheers
  • voxegam
    Also, quick question.....What's Richmond Park like these days?....haven't ridden round it since summer.....apparently the resurface was horrible....it bedded down at all?
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • Rich-Ti
    Park seems to be a bit better James - not been in there much myself lately for the same reason, but we're hearing of less problems now.
  • Tbag
    Tbag Posts: 3
    I can't make this one but will definitely be up for the odd steady paced ride (training plan pending) in the new year. :)
  • london-red
    The park's in pretty good nick, as long as you can ignore the snow, the freezing fog and the pi55ed off deer who seem a bit more interested in becoming road kill than usual... Must be the weather.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    So, is it to be Saturday or Sunday? :?:
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • Rich-Ti
    Sunday is what's mostly being discussed here, 9am start as nobody's suggested otherwise...
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Shall we say Sunday, 9am, Richmond Gate?
    C'est parfait 8)
  • see you there :D
  • voxegam
    Anyone know the condition of the usual routes at present?.....I imagine the lanes may be quite icy?!?!? Maybe want to consider a slightly more main road route?!?
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • You are all very brave... or mad.

I'm based in west London.. this morning at 9 AM it was -4 C... went out a bit later with my MTB... a few laps of Hillingdon Park with fresh snow... good workout.
    Only major roads are clear of ice and even those have patches of ice by the side

Good luck
    left the forum March 2023
  • london-red
    You are all very brave... or mad.

I've got to admit to having some sympathy with this...

My commute this past week has been Baltic, Friday was dodgy through the park with a load of ice on the central paths (the main road was fine). I'd hate to think what the Lanes will be like considering it's going to be even colder tomorrow than it was last week...

Voxegam's main roads suggestion seems sensible. So does a chaingang in RP :P

Is everyone still up for it? And will there be any summer steeds out?
  • Rich-Ti
    London-Red wrote:

I'm still up for it, and I only have 1 bike! Won't be on me summer wheels though...

I reckon the hoonfest route is probably safest :?:

It was CHUFFING cold at Hillingdon today. Oh, and I beat Voxegam :wink::lol:
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

I'm still up for it, and I only have 1 bike! Won't be on me summer wheels though...

I reckon the hoonfest route is probably safest :?:

It was CHUFFING cold at Hillingdon today. Oh, and I beat Voxegam :wink::lol:
    Ah, definitely hoonfest route - hoonfest pace too to get back without getting too cold! Also a one-bike person here, so no choice in the matter (though that will change soon when weather and finances allow!)

p.s. have you paid Voxegam his fee for him letting you beat him :P ?

p.p.s. Can't make it :(
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • london-red
    Oh, and I beat Voxegam

Good effort. I'm sure you'll be reminding him of that once or twice tomorrow... :roll:

Are there many hills on the hoonfest route? I've got a 53:39, 11:23 set up at the moment!!

Loving the new ride by the way Rich. Pleased with it?