Visiting the Pyrenees - travel options

rc856
rc856 Posts: 1,144
edited December 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi folks,

I'm looking to see who's either driven to the Pyrenees and camped or stayed in hotels and which was found to be the best?

At the moment, the 'idea' is to travel from Glasgow via a ferry to Santander etc in a campervan type (not the quickest mode of travel!) and drive to where we want to be, sleeping in the camper. Thought this would be cheaper than staying in hotels etc.

But...with possibly only a week to do it in, would I be giving up about 3 days for travel to and from the UK?

The other option is to fly, rent a car and have hotels booked along the way. A bit more planning etc.

I like the campervan idea as we can be more flexible and take more kit. Also with planning it in the next 6mths, wondered if there might be difficulty getting booked in some places.

Any info or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Me and my family drove from london to Luz st sauvier at the foot of the Tourmalet this year.We went via the ferry to St Malo and took 2 Days to drive from therewith a stop over in Bordeaux.Hotels very expensive because of the euro ,petrol about the same as we pay here.What you realise the first time you drive the length of France for the first time is that it is a very big country.Overal we had a very good time but extremly expensive
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Cheers.

Drove from Glasgow to Allemont (6miles from Bourg d'Oisans) a few years ago.
    Know what you mean about the size of the place!

That time we had the luxury of 2 weeks but this time round I want to get the best out of my time if I've only got a week.
    That obviously means to fly but due to us not having a lot of miles in the legs, we would have to drive to other climbs.

*** Since posting I've been told about Pyractif which sounds good. Will get in touch with them.
  • Ryanair Edinburgh - Carcassonne - shuttle bus -train station - Toulouse - Foix/Tarascone sur Ariege
    All in a day, and you have at least a dozen mountains within cycling distance.
    Col D Agnes
    Plat De Beille
    Col de Port, (all tour d France cols) ect.

Rent a villa http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/search/keywords:Ariege

Peter
  • You could also try Jet2 from Edinburgh to Toulouse (I am not sure of the summer start date) and from Toulouse catch the Navette to the train station where you can catch a train into Bagneres de Luchon. This is the perfect base with a great selection of cols on your doorstep. No car needed - and lots of apres ride activities including a fantastic spa.

Portillon, Peyresourde, Bales, Ares, Mente, Porte d'Aspet, Aspin etc etc.

Everything you need is here including a couple of good bike shops.

Good luck in your search

Mike
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    There's also the bike bus (European Bike Express)
  • I went in September. Flew to Montpelier, which is only a couple of days pleasant riding from the Pyrenees. Toulouse is probably even closer.

My first flight with my bike so was a bit worried but it all went fine (EasyJet) - no hassle or damage.

France is great for touring, whether you camp or stay in hotels - both are excellent. We were staying in Logis de France hotels - smaller privately owned places. Some were excellent, others were ok but none were awful. Most had good food.