Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I think we need a free letter or two
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    shazzz wrote:
    I think we need a free letter or two

What?? Clues?? actually......meenaghman was on the right track with one of his thoughts......but which one!!

Beat my Telegraph record on Saturday..... 7 mins 4 seconds :roll: :roll:
  • Beat my Telegraph record on Saturday..... 7 mins 4 seconds Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Have I got this right? You actually time yourself?

Turning - using the general sense of cycle and summat you do when you're on a bike?
  • Slapshot
    Beat my Telegraph record on Saturday..... 7 mins 4 seconds Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Have I got this right? You actually time yourself?
    Absolutely, few of us at work are real crossword geeks.
    Turning - using the general sense of cycle and summat you do when you're on a bike?

Nope
  • PBo wrote:
    slapshot wrote:

spotted rising star in mirror ballet dancing (6,6)

Robert Miller

shurely shome mishtake? :wink:

millar?

That's not the worst of it, he failed to mention that the man himself is (probably) back posting! I didn't know that at the time...and just spotted Slapshot on that thread. Maybe I should have made a clue about someone he's less likely to have just been talking to :roll:
  • Slapshot
    bazzargh wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    slapshot wrote:

spotted rising star in mirror ballet dancing (6,6)

Robert Miller

shurely shome mishtake? :wink:

millar?

That's not the worst of it, he failed to mention that the man himself is (probably) back posting! I didn't know that at the time...and just spotted Slapshot on that thread. Maybe I should have made a clue about someone he's less likely to have just been talking to :roll:

Sorry Bazzargh, he is one of my absolute heros mirror ballet dancing gave it away though.
  • Slapshot -7mins or so to do the crossword - chapeau ..
    doubt if I could even read the clues in that amount of time.
    my father in law tends to do the Telegraph crossword while having a few pints so on the occasions we're visiting or he's visiting us, that's the only time I really get into it.. and beer seems to help... there have been occasions where we've deliberately slowed down to enable some extra pints to be served.. at your rate my Guinness wouldn't be settled.

I'm still stumped .. Must need beer.
  • Since noone else has had a go and slapshot said meeaghman was onto something, here's a couple of weak answers:

'bicycle'. Take 'cycling,maybe' and cycle it round (joining start to finish) you get becycli... and maybe would be the anagram indicator. Doesn't make much sense as the 'cycle' includes letters that are excluded from the anagram.

'commute' fits, but must be wrong cos meeaghman didn't mention it. ie, the clue's meaning is 'a possible mode of transport', and commute also means switch/change, as does cycle. Doesn't feel like a slam dunk.

I'm with meenaghman on the beer thing... best idea so far
  • Slapshot
    I've been a crossword freak since school, it was always a form of relaxation while studying, something not maths, physics or chemistry!! At work we're very sad, we actually had a set of league tables running a couple of years back!!

Sorry folks, still not there, I have to admit it was a teaser but I didn't think it was this bad.
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot wrote:
    I've been a crossword freak since school, it was always a form of relaxation while studying, something not maths, physics or chemistry!! At work we're very sad, we actually had a set of league tables running a couple of years back!!

Sorry folks, still not there, I have to admit it was a teaser but I didn't think it was this bad.

Still nowt folks???

Okay Cycling, maybe - Sportif

yes i do have an odd mind!!
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Whooosh! Straight over my head. :(

Right, can we get on with a new clue please? Whose turn?

Ruth
  • une randonnée cyclosportive, surely?

Anyhow, to get the ball rolling....

Mixed use in, for example, dinghy bridge. (6)
  • BeaconRuth
    Mixed use in, for example, dinghy bridge. (6)
    HYBRID!

Righto - better get my thinking cap on.........

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth
    Hard groom men shuffle into British hero (5,7)

Ruth
  • Roger Hammond!

In London, new driver, initially in the pack, proves to be a winner. (8,9)
  • BeaconRuth
    Roger Hammond!
    Indeed. Now, no guesses why I set a clue about him................ http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/beaconrcc ... 9510115970

:D (He was a brilliant after-dinner speaker, BTW! Really really nice chap. Got myself a noo hero.)

Ruth
  • Roger Hammond!

:?:
  • Roger Hammond!

:?:

That looks a bit confusing, doesn't it? Roger Hammond is the answer to this clue: Hard groom men shuffle into British hero (5,7) - his name is an anagram of ''hard groom men''

And the ''In London....'' bit is the next clue, which I'll put into italics this time

• BeaconRuth
    I think we need a hint please, if you would be so kind, deptfordm? All the crossword-pros are clearly busy getting ready for Christmas.

Ruth
  • You know what? Please don't throw sharp objects at me. I'm usually very good at spelling and I have a post-grad qualification in French...yet I managed to get the spelling wrong for a simple cycling term (oddly, the site automatically corrects this error - but I'd spelled peloton with a second /e/) making the clue wrong. Sorry, sorry , sorry, sorry and sorry.

I was wondering why it was proving so difficult :oops:

I've put another one up, but if you have a clue ready put it up and I'll take this one off - I don't think I should really get another go straight away having messed up the last one.

Safe place to watch the Owls? (9.5)