1 x 9 Set up

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Hi All

I have been thinking for some time about trying a 1 x 9 set up and when I saw the news item on here about the Cyclo Crossers it got me thinking about it again.

Just wanted some opinions really. Has anyone doen this, was it easy, will I need a singlespeed chain ring and chain, what chain guide would be good etc.

Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i did this thread yesterday :)

Do a search on my previous posts mate :)
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    It's easy and what most DH bikes run.

You could do it as simply as removing your front mech, shifter and the rings you don't want to use any more and adding a guide.

Single speed chain will be too wide.

I run an E13 chainguide, but it's a DH bike so weight isn't really that much of a concern.

If you're running a guide, any type of front ring will be fine.

You can run a shorter cage out back and take a few links out of your chain if you want.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I've had one before and it's easy, you don't need a single speed chainring or chain, or even a chain guide if you're doing mainly xc with a fork up front.

If the wife manages not to blow another huge chunk of money before christmas I'm planning on finally building up a 1x9 inbred to annoy the people of Rendlsham on.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • I run 1x9 on my winter bike, I just took the mech/shifter and rings off. I don't run a chain guide but I am a wheels on the ground rider.
    Sometimes I put the big ring back on if I know I'll be doing quite a bit of hard pack and I will be riding with people who are likely to drop me, although the shifting process is to manually move the chain between rings. If it wasn't for this I would shorten the chain.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    I'm thinking of doing this too.
    Can anyone recomend a good, hopefully sub £30 chainguide?
    Thanks
  • Cheers for thesuggestions.

I read your post weeksy. Didn't notice it when searching. I'm like you though. I want something made for the job. I don't really like the idea of using a front mech although i'm sure it'll do the job more than well enough.

I was quite intersted in an MRP 1x series chain guide but they don't seem readily availabel (que the links!). Not sure if a down hill type set up would be worth the extra money?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    for a cheap chain guide just use an old front mech :) thats what i did

running a single ring at the front is good i reckon, no chicken out gears so you have to push hard, makes you fitter
  • lawman wrote:
    for a cheap chain guide just use an old front mech :) thats what i did

running a single ring at the front is good i reckon, no chicken out gears so you have to push hard, makes you fitter

I just think a single front would simplify things. I live in East Anglia so not many hills, mainly ride trail centres and trails near where I live so I only ever use about 4 gears and really think I could get on with a single front. What size do you use?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    standard 32t, altho i might get a 33t E13 when my xt one wears out