JE James service.....

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm currently hacked off with JE James, and am currently being, what feels like, ignored.

I ordered a helmet, some grease and bearings online back in November 18th. On the 24th I hadn't heard anything so dropped them an email. Next day I got a phone call from them saying that the helmet was out of stock, and I can either have a refund, or they will split the extra cost of an upgrade to the next model. So I decided to go for this.

They posted this, and kindly also upgraded the grease on my order for stock reasons, and also upgraded the helmet to the next model (£5 more on the website) as the previously offered upgrade was out of stock. At this point I was happy with this, yes they'd taken their time processing my order, but had done all they could to solve it.

Then I realised the helmet was the wrong size. When I measured my head I was borderline, so foolished plumped for the smaller size.

I phoned and spoke to the same guy who I had previously dealt with (James) and he said no problem, send it back addressed to him and he'll send out the other size. Ideal.

So I sent it back special delivery, addressed to James and it arrived with them on Thursday 3rd.

I hadn't heard anything so phoned them on the Sat. Spoke to someone else, who promised to phone me back in half an hour after he had spoken to James. He didn't so I phoned a couple of hours later. He had spoken to James, and assured me the replacement would be dispatched on Monday, to be delivered Tuesday 8th.

On Monday 7th I had a phone call from the returns department saying they had received my return and the colour was out of stock, and what would I like. I told him about my previous conversation and that it should have already been dispatched, he said he'll check, and phone me back to let me know either way.

No one phoned back.

On Wed 9th I phoned back, told the story again, was told the replacement is coming from another store and I'l get it sometime. Not helpful at all. Half an hour later someone more competent phoned back, confirmed the details, promised it will be sent out saying I'll get a confirmation email with a tracking number shortly.

No email. I phone again on Friday 11th and am told that James is now based in a different department and that he'll email him asking him to call me back. Nothing.

So I ring again on Sat 12th and speak to the same chap, who again spends quite a bit of time taking all the info and emailing it over. He said he'll put a note on my account saying to make sure that someone calls me to let me know whats happening either way.

Still not heard anything, had no email or delivery.

JE James had started well, solving the stock issue kindly, however since I returned the item for a replacement its gone rapidly downhill, to the point I'm prepared to sit here for 20 minutes typing out my fraustrations!

I also left a message on their answerphone at some stage, which hasn't been returned.

Tomorrow I think I'll phone back and insist on speaking to whoever is in charge.....

:twisted:

Jeeze, just realised how long this story is, sorry that it is slightly dull but I feel like venting and their closed.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    No worries, Milese, the story needed telling.

I think a generous verdict on JE James is that they are a good, well meaning bunch, that sometimes don't deliver (literally, or service-wise), and people who use their "real" shop seem to rate them highly.

Personally, they are a "barge-pole" experience for me (as in "wouldn't touch them with a"). They are consistently at the top of Google Shopping searches for the cheapest price, and the reason is that their web site is full of items they don't have in stock. There is also a suspicion that for the items claimed to be in-stock, they actually order from the distributors after you order from them. Forum members have reported that they say "its coming from the warehouse" to explain delays - truth probably is more like "its coming from the distributors". I had one frustrating time-wasting episode over an "in-stock" (but not really) item, and I have since resolved that advertised price is not the best criteria fro choosing an online shop. I want cheap, yes, but actually, I would actually prefer to have the goods, as described, promptly, without hassle - cue CRC, Wiggle, Merlin, PBK.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    They are great when the thing you want is IN STOCK. Otherwise they are the worst shop in the UK.

And I have bought a LOT of stuff from them. Worst customer service EVER.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Pokerface wrote:
    They are great when the thing you want is IN STOCK. Otherwise they are the worst shop in the UK.

And I have bought a LOT of stuff from them. Worst customer service EVER.
    except Hinde - who is a class apart!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Ordered a blue 23mm folding Conti Ultrasport from JE James.

Up turns a black 25mm rigid.

They even had their own label with the incorrect description of the tyre about two inches from the correct Conti sticker.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The shop is pretty good, but I rarely believe the stock information on the website. I probably wouldn't buy anything from them online though without phoning to confirm stock.
    More problems but still living....
  • Tell you what Milese. Why don't you use your LBS, then you won't get in this predicament again.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • With the spokes i was after they were so much cheaper that I was prepared for the wait, plus it was for my WIP. I wouldn't use them for anything i needed urgently
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I agree with the customer service comments made above when using their mail order service, but in store they have always been more than helpful. When I'm shopping I tend to find what I want on the internet and then go to their Rotherham store and get them to price match as I like having a point of contact to take something back to if it's faulty. When looking on the website though, an item that is listed as 'in stock' means that ONE of their shops has it so it's worth calling before travelling to the shop (I live 20 miles way) to make sure that 'in stock' doesn't mean that they have one in Chesterfield.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    I ordered a Campag Record Groupset from them last year. It was ridiculously cheap and was in perfect condition with every part delivered as ordered - I was very impressed, and they saved me around £400. I also got it delivered next day.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I have had mostly ok experiences with JE James.

I am aware, and happy to chance the fact they frequently do not have stock in that the website claims they do have.

But I tend to risk taking the punt, if the price is good enough.

Have to say when I did have to send some clothing back it was refunded with no issues.

The OP's predicament is shoddy though to say the least, I would not shop with them again if I was treated that way.

Good luck with getting a good resolution.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ordered some shoes a few years ago but after waiting for several weeks i contacted them, they told me that they never received order or lost the order (cant remember which) and advised me to reorder. i duely did but the colour (silver) was no longer available so i bought the black pair (not my first colour choice) which arrived a few days later. i havent reordered from them but will give them another try if they stocked something i needed - their original excuse for not fulfilling original order was due to the flooding which crippled large parts at the time at the time so will give them the benefit of doubt. just put it down to bad luck /act of god.
  • @Milese,

Having picked up on this issue, i have forwarded it to the manager of our web team and cc'd the general manager of Rotherham into the email.

I'll follow my email up with a phone call and prompt them to contact you today.

Apologies for the negative experience when shopping with us.

All the best.

JEJ
    Visit Our Website: www.jejamescycles.co.uk
    Join Us On Facebook & Win an Endura Jacket: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/facebook.html
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Good of someone from JE James to reply (genuine comment).

But it would be better if you explained what you are doing to address the concerns of those of who have had negative experiences with your mail ordering department. You do seem to generate a high percentage of unflattering comments across the forums.
  • @Smokin Joe

If you've noticed the unflattering comments, you should have also noticed the pro active positive approach we have taken in sorting out customers who have unfortunately experienced issues when shopping with us.

We regularly browse singletrack, bikeradar, mbr etc etc.

We use these forums as a safety net for when orders go wrong because we know people vent there frustration here, which they do. We edeavour to address each issue and reach an ammicable conclusion where the customer is happy with the result.

We discuss as much as neccesary via the forums then due to not wanting to post any personal information of the customers, we tend to deal with the issue via email/telephone.

The customer usually comes back to the forum and re-posts to the likes of yourself that their issue has been sorted and they are happy with the customer service that they have received.

A lot of issues are resolved in the way which you are requesting though, us explaining what went wrong, what we've done to rectify the issue and help the customer, and also what we've put in place to make sure the issue doesn't arise again in the future.

The hardest job is coming across these posts. We are very pro active in finding such though, and to date i would estimate nearly all have been addressed. If i'm wrong and you wish to point me in the right direction i would appreciate the help.

Thanks for the input and hope this post answers your comment.

JEJ
    Join Us On Facebook & Win an Endura Jacket: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/facebook.html
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Can you answer me this - why do you never have anything in stock?! I have placed orders with JE James probably on half a dozen occasions (maybe more) and I can only recall one time where you were actually able to complete my order. It seems to me that you advertise items with the lowest available price even though they aren't in stock - is this just incompetence or is it a deliberate tactic to get people onto your website? I've now given up on you, due to frustration at having my time wasted.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    MatHammond wrote:
    Can you answer me this - why do you never have anything in stock?! I have placed orders with JE James probably on half a dozen occasions (maybe more) and I can only recall one time where you were actually able to complete my order. It seems to me that you advertise items with the lowest available price even though they aren't in stock - is this just incompetence or is it a deliberate tactic to get people onto your website? I've now given up on you, due to frustration at having my time wasted.

I too have experience this. Given up bothering looking at JE James now.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • @alfablue
    There is also a suspicion that for the items claimed to be in-stock, they actually order from the distributors after you order from them.

In reply to the above, your statement of suspicion is completely un-true.

There is no way possible we could run our business in this way. At the moment we are in the transition stage of moving all product from our existing warehouse, to the new 40,000sqft warehouse we have recently purchased due to massive growth in mail order sales. This move alone, upon completion will cut out many stock issues experienced in the past.

Only a very small percentage of the thousands of orders we deal with every month experience negative issues, however much we'd like it to be zero, we'll always come across slight glitches, but having a presence on the forums is enabling us to improve constantly.

We are also working very hard at the moment cleaning up our website database to remove items that are no longer available from our suppliers so any items we do have on our website that are not in stock are all readily available to order from our suppliers.

My experiences having spent time in the forums since the autumn is that we, along with the other un-named mail order companies all experience negative feedback on the forums.

I wouldn't say we get it anymore than our competitors, but i am happy to say that we address a high percentage of issues we come across, where our competitors don't.

We value all customers equally and are working hard on improving our customer service at the moment, and with the new warehouse not too far away from completition, a 20% increase in staff on the mail order side of our business, and a very pro active approach in dealing with issues when they arise, the customer service level we would like to achieve is in close reach.

All the best.

JEJ
  • @MatHammond

Having looked into your account there does seem to be a very large amount of out of stock emails sent to you upon ordering.

There is no way possible of me giving you an answer now as to whether we had the item physically in stock at that time or not.

We were certainly showing the product in stock looking at stock history, my answer to you is that the item could not be found upon picking therefore you were informed that it was out of stock.

All i can do now is apologise for the inconvenience caused.

As a gesture of goodwill i'm happy to issue you with a discount on any future purchase you wish to make via us.

If you are in the market for anything at the moment, or in the future, please contact me on the below email and i'll assist in the completion of your order.

forums@jejamescycles.com

Apologies once again and all the best.

JEJ
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I bought my Look from the Chesterfield store in Jan 2007, it was a very pleasant experience.

However it really p*sses me off when JEJ appear at the top of the google search for something at a cheap price but it's never in stock :x
  • @redddraggon

I have looked into your account, i can only come across one order placed in January 2008, again i can't tell what the status of the stock was upon ordering, but we did send you an email informing it was out of stock.

Have you ordered from us more recently outside of this order and experienced the same issue?

Cheers

JEJ
  • @NapoleonD

From out previous comment
    We are also working very hard at the moment cleaning up our website database to remove items that are no longer available from our suppliers so any items we do have on our website that are not in stock are all readily available to order from our suppliers.
  • redddraggon
    Have you ordered from us more recently outside of this order and experienced the same issue?

No because you seem to have zero stock levels when ever I have navigated to your site from google shopping.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538

No because you seem to have zero stock levels when ever I have navigated to your site from google shopping.

That's a very good point, a lot of searches take you to pages where on occasion the item, or items if different sizes are involved are all out of stock.

Good to see you trying to sort things out, and clearly you have some things in place to try and improve things, so that should be commended in my eyes.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • @redddreagon

A lot of our customers do order items that are out of stock.

It states on an item that is out of stock:

Out of stock. Please phone or click on the email link at the end of the page to confirm availability.

If you do this we'll inform as to whether the item is available or not. If it isn't the item will be removed from our site, if it is we can place an order for that item the same day.

As stated previously we are working constantly on the database to remove everything that isn't available giving our customers a cleaner clutter free shopping experience.

We would be losing custom by excluding from google anything that is available to order from our suppliers.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

JEJ
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Why would anyone order something that isn't in stock on your web site? I certainly wouldn't. I would rather go elsewhere and get the same thing and know I'll be getting it, price withstanding of course.

I haven't ordered anything from your web site but only from your store at Rotherham. The customer service I received was fine must admit. Just my two penneth worth.
  • redddraggon
    We would be losing custom by excluding from google anything that is available to order from our suppliers.

To be honest there's so much competition now with PBK, CRC, Wiggle, Ribble, Merlin, PlanetX (all seem to be more truthful with their stock levels), that I don't even bother clicking on links for JE James. The lack of stock whenever I have looked in the past has lost you my custom.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • @giant mancp
    Why would anyone order something that isn't in stock on your web site? I certainly wouldn't. I would rather go elsewhere and get the same thing and know I'll be getting it, price withstanding of course.

The orders that include out of stock items tend to be multiple product orders. Customers order a couple of products that are in stock, and then maybe one item that isn't in stock but they order it anyway while ordering other goods. This tends to be the trend behing out of stock orders.

Cheers.

JEJ
  • @redddragon
    To be honest there's so much competition now with PBK, CRC, Wiggle, Ribble, Merlin, PlanetX (all seem to be more truthful with their stock levels), that I don't even bother clicking on links for JE James. The lack of stock whenever I have looked in the past has lost you my custom.

I think your choice of wording of more truthful is a little off the mark, but we have taken on board your comments and are saddened at the loss of your custom.

As a gesture of good will if you are in the market for anything at the moment or in the future please email forums@jejamescycles.com I'll happily assist with your order and offer you a further discount on the item.

All the best.

JEJ
  • One thing that i would think would be a good move to make, would be to make it absolutely clear that it is necessary for the consumer to ring up to confirm special orders.

When i ordered my spokes, i rang in advance, then ordered them. But when i phoned up to check they hadn't been ordered. This did delay my wheel building by a couple of weeks, and perhaps just adding something to the default message stating clearly that no special orders will be made without confirmation would be good.

P.S. although i might sound it i'm not actually completely stupid!
  • @ride_whenever

We are in the process of changing the below, (or doing something similar)

Availability : Out of stock. Please phone or click on the email link at the end of the page to confirm availability.

to

Availability : Out of stock. Please phone or click on the email link at the end of the page to confirm availability. (Please follow up your order with an email/phone call informing us you would like the item ordering).

Cheers for the input.

JEJ