cyclocrossword

Comments

• Slapshot wrote:
    okay.... two for good measure...

Noise in an old field stopped ringing (7)[/b]

If this is 'tubular' (a reference to Oldfield's Tubular Bells) it doesn't make sense as a cryptic (ringing meaning a tube? come on!)
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    bazzargh wrote:
    Slapshot wrote:
    okay.... two for good measure...

Noise in an old field stopped ringing (7)[/b]

If this is 'tubular' (a reference to Oldfield's Tubular Bells) it doesn't make sense as a cryptic (ringing meaning a tube? come on!)

Tubular......;

Tubular bells....without the ringing - I thought it was okay..sorry :roll: :roll:
  • Slapshot wrote:
    Tubular bells....without the ringing - I thought it was okay..sorry :roll: :roll:

Don't mind me I'm just cranky
  • Slapshot, in that clue, should it be two or to...not that it's going to help me, I'm just playing for time :wink:

Repeated Sicilian blow two the head for changes (6,3,..8.)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    edited December 2009
    cadel

edit:

bugg3r - missed a whole page of responses, so took my clue away again
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot, in that clue, should it be two or to...not that it's going to help me, I'm just playing for time :wink:

No Comment ..... :wink:
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot wrote:
    Slapshot, in that clue, should it be two or to...not that it's going to help me, I'm just playing for time :wink:

No Comment ..... :wink:

Still nothing???
  • I'm not getting anywhere with this one - nor is anybody else by the looks of it! Oh well, someone will crack it sooner or later... :cry:
  • Slapshot
    I'm not getting anywhere with this one - nor is anybody else by the looks of it! Oh well, someone will crack it sooner or later... :cry:

Clue - favoured method of execution

Come one guys, I'm buidling up a good list this morning!!
  • Chain sore massacre! Damn, doesn't fit :)
  • Slapshot
    Come on it's not that hard....... can't wait any more...

Double Tap Shifters

Mafia' s favourite excecution method is the Double tap two rapid bullet straight to the head; for changes - shifters

Want another??

The French, work of leading England, Good Queen encourages us without a spot in twisted race for the orient (7,2,8)
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Slapshot wrote:
    Come on it's not that hard....... can't wait any more...

Double Tap Shifters

Mafia' s favourite excecution method is the Double tap two rapid bullet straight to the head; for changes - shifters

Want another??

The French, work of leading England, Good Queen encourages us without a spot in twisted race for the orient (7,2,8)
    Well, I guess it would have been very easy if I'd been familiar with Mafia execution methods........... geez! It wasn't for lack of trying that I didn't get it. :(

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth
    Slapshot wrote:
    That's (7,2,8 ) then?

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth
    I want it to be Etoile de Besseges but that doesn't fit the letters. :cry:

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    I want it to be Etoile de Besseges but that doesn't fit the letters. :cry:

Ruth

But L'étoile de Bessèges fits nicely.

Though I don't understand the 'de' part. Le and toil, Bess eggs without a g-spot - the rest is just a blur to me :cry:

Assuming we're right, Ruth, set us a clue - I'd never have got it.
  • Slapshot
    L'étoile de Bessèges

Exactly

The French, work of leading England, Good Queen encourages us without a spot in twisted race for the orient (7,2,8 )

le - the, french work toil Leading England of - de (french again) Good Queen - Bess, eggs without g spot, Twisted is the anagram clue, for the orient gives the last e.

Was a toughie but I thought a bit easier than the double tap,

I;ve just started a LOONNGGGG night shift...give us some more
  • PBo
    Here you go:
    20 53 12 - just joking!!!

In shack, lives awfully. Drops south, begins to regurgitate pie at Nordic home A&E. (4,10)
  • PBo wrote:
    Here you go:

In shack, lives awfully. Drops south, begins to regurgitate pie at Nordic home A&E. (4,10)

Levi Leipheimer. lives anagram with s dropped, L (presumably 'begins to' = 'learner'), pie backwards, heim (except this is germanic, nordic for home is hjem?), and ER. In Team Radioshack.

spotted rising star in mirror ballet dancing (6,6)
  • Coming in on the end of this so not sure if something similars been done but

sorted allen keys (4,5)

easy but quite apt.
  • Slapshot
    bazzargh wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Here you go:

Levi Leipheimer. lives anagram with s dropped, L (presumably 'begins to' = 'learner'), pie backwards, heim (except this is germanic, nordic for home is hjem?), and ER. In Team Radioshack.

Robert Miller

Eleven go round on a chase (4,7)
  • meenaghman wrote:
    Coming in on the end of this so not sure if something similars been done but

sorted allen keys (4,5)

easy but quite apt.

It certintly is, as he'd say. Sean Kelly.

[edited to remove clue, messages crossed in mid-air]
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Slapshot wrote:

Eleven go round on a chase (4,7)

Team pursuit?

If it's correct then I give you:

Father Christmas laughs at half my scottish star (3)
  • Hoy! Had me giggling, that one :P

I haven't thought up a clue in readiness - feel free to take my turn....
  • Sorry to keep interupting but half scottish star? Explain please :) (helps me undersatand the mode of thinking :wink: )

Team persuit was more my level :oops:
  • No bother, Stefano. The ''Father Christmas laughs at half my scottish star (3)'' clue works a little like this:

Father Christmas laugh : Ho ho ho...

half my = y (i.e. half the word)

So the laugh plus half of my turns into Hoy.

That ''cycling, maybe (7)'' clue looks classic to me...it's one of those clues you get (or not) when your brain decides to look at it from a different angle. So sometimes the best thing to do is forget about it completely - and then revisit it later. Somehow, you always approach it with a slightly different mindset and that just might unlock it...
  • PBo
    slapshot wrote:

Robert Miller

shurely shome mishtake? :wink:

millar?
  • Cycling, maybe? (7)

If it wasn't for the fact that posts with the word ''pursuit'' surround this clue, I'd think of this as an answer. Cycling is a pursuit, the event you're competing in may be a pursuit. And it's conveniently got 7 letters.

So that's 2 criteria fulfilled. The 3rd one - getting the right answer - might be a little more elusive...
  • cycling, maybe (7)

thought of pursuit but couldn't justify it. u purist ?
    touring (with routing as alternative) but similarly can't justify it
    repeats --> etapers again can't justify it.
    Maybe = perhaps.. was there ever a cyclist shappers ? I know there was a shaepers or something similar.
    If you take the two words together, then "mangy bicycle" is an anagram of "cycling maybe"
    stumped..