What tyre pressure?

DamonC
DamonC Posts: 263
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Is there a guide on here?

I am going up to a wet Llandegla tomorrow and no idea what to set my tyre pressures to?

Running Panaracer FIRE XC PRO 2.1 and the side wall says 35 - 50 off road.

My question is in people's experience are the side wall recommendations bang on or do you run a little softer? I've set them to 35 and it seems a little firm.
Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.

Comments

• DamonC
    Thanks I did a search and I know its annoying when a newbee asks old questions but when I used the search at the top it brought up allsorts of editorial stuff :oops:
  • you need to search the forum not the site

its below the search box at the top under your name
  • DamonC
    Ah yes much better, thanks for that :)
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    For Llandegla, in the wet, with XC Fire Pro's, I'd go with about 40psi. That's on a Giant NRS with a 13st rider.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    I have had to take off my Fire xc Pro 2.1's as have found them to be crap in wet muddy conditions. Back wheel slides all over the place and front gives no confidence. In the dry they are brilliant though and run 40psi. Now on my winter Maxxis Minions :D
  • DamonC
    I ran 35psi and I am heavier and found them great. I am not going at any real pace though.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    35psi rear nad 30psi front unless ur 15+ stone.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    richg1979 wrote:
    35psi rear nad 30psi front unless ur 15+ stone.

Again, in English?

There is NO ANSWER to the "What tyre pressure for..." question. There are too many variables. A 2.5" tyre does not need as high a pressure as a 1.5" tyre. A fat rider needs more tyre pressure than a race snake. Downhill riders looking for grip at the expense of all else needs less pressure than a cross country boy heading out on a 50 mile epic. You need more tyre pressure whilst riding rocky trails than riding un-rocky trails.

To set your tyre pressure:
    Sit on your bike, look at the back tyre. It should be squidged a little. If it is squidged a lot, add a bit more pressure and test again. If there is no give at all, let a little out. Your tyre pressure should ALWAYS be within the min/max numbers on the sidewall.

If you are pinchflatting constantly, add more pressure. If you are getting bounced around or not getting much grip, take pressure away. Either way, do it carefully. Pressing the valve in on your tube releases more pressure than you think it does. If you haven't got a pump, don't drop your pressures.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    ok
    if your 3 stone run 5 psi rear and 7psi front and if you 30 stone run 65 psi rear and 55psi front.

and you dont have to run what is says on sidewalls maxxis say 35-55psi but i never run that much neither do anyone i ride with.

you obvioulsy cant read english alex as he did say in black and white LLANDGELA so wind ya neck back in, this is not a technical trail at all and not rocky so shouldnt have to worry about pinch flats.

im 14stone and run everything from 1.9" to 2.4" at same pressures unless its a rocky ride where im likely to pinch easy.

there is no answer to the question full stop as tyre pressure is totally down to personal preferance, so all anyone can provide is an opinion.
  • Never been to Llandegla. I am on the larger size of well built and I run my tyres at around 35-38psi , Nobby nic 2.3? front and Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 rear. If I hear/feel pinging when on rocky bits i just hiss abit of pressure out of the front. its all personal. If I was lighter/fitter/faster i would probably run lower psi
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • leon69
    leon69 Posts: 53
    Running Panaracer FIRE XC PRO 2.1
    Am 16 stone :wink: run them at 40 psi min nice fast tyre's
    that said i beleave i run all my tyre's at 40+ psi hot dry summer days ( if any one in the UK can remeber them :shock: ) i can go up to 50 psi :wink:
    If you dont bleed your not trying ...
  • zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    I wouldn't have said that Panaracer were fast tyres, but when I'm comparing the with the cheapo rock hard rubber on my knacker Saracen it's not really a fair comparison. ANd although I know my pressure in the Panaracers is probably a bit low, I can't check as I haven't got a gauge that'll fit the Presta valves, only guages for Shrader valves... :roll:
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • zedhead
    Anyone know where I can get a pressure gauge for Presta valves?
    Can't find one and bored of guessing pressures...
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a presta to schrader adaptor.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • zedhead
    I was thinking that there may be adaptors available, but haven't been able to find one as yet... local Halfords and LBS don't have them, maybe Evans?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    DamonC wrote:
    Is there a guide on here?

I am going up to a wet Llandegla tomorrow and no idea what to set my tyre pressures to?

Running Panaracer FIRE XC PRO 2.1 and the side wall says 35 - 50 off road.

My question is in people's experience are the side wall recommendations bang on or do you run a little softer? I've set them to 35 and it seems a little firm.

http://www.bicicletta.co.za/Downloadabl ... trated.pdf
  • Macster1
    Macster1 Posts: 122
    I have Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1's fitted too and christened them on Sunday. I have them pumped up hard as I ride road to get where I am going - muddy woodland rides with some very messy clay parts - my bike must have weighed at least twice it's weight with all the clay that stuck to it! I'm also 17+ stone which is why I like them firm but will probably play around with them a bit now.

I'm a newbie [sort of, back riding since May '09] and found having them pumped hard didn't do much for grip as the back was a bit wishy-washy on the icy surface [not ice but remains of the frozen ground]

I have bought 2 different presta to schrader adaptors to use with my fork pump but can't for the life of me get them to work :oops:

Look at item 370305232936 on eBay, this is one that I bought but maybe it isn't suited to my fork pump which is why it won't work?

HTH

Baz
    Rockhopper Pro Disc 2009 :D
  • I usually run at 35psi. It works for me. I don't like to run to low because of snake bites
  • jweston
    jweston Posts: 37
    edited February 2010
    I usually put 30 - 35 in for playing, and as much as 55 in my Maxxis Crossmarks for racing. One thing I always do is check the pressure before riding with my track pump. Don't know how many punctures this has saved me, but I don't get many flats (touch wood;)
    ~Jessica
    Astounding Adventures
    Hill Walking - Mountain Biking - Climbing - Team Building
    http://www.astoundingadventures.co.uk
    Call free: 0333 121 2125
  • I normally go by feel, if its a technical course/ride then they should be a bit dofter but its difficult to give psi's as different rider weight can mean different readings for everyone.
  • I need to ask a silly question...

I am fine with pressures etc. but the valves on my tyres are the presta type and none of the pressure gauges I have will fit. I have two pencil type gauges and an expensive dial type one.

I take it I need a specific gauge for these valves? I had to buy a new pump too.

Sorry for the daft query.

Andy
    Why so serious?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    andyp79 wrote:
    I need to ask a silly question...

I am fine with pressures etc. but the valves on my tyres are the presta type and none of the pressure gauges I have will fit. I have two pencil type gauges and an expensive dial type one.

I take it I need a specific gauge for these valves? I had to buy a new pump too.

Sorry for the daft query.

Andy

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2910

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=8504
  • Thanks for the links!

:)
    Why so serious?
  • zedhead
    I bought a Presta/Schraeder adaptor from the cycle sales roadshow thingy in Stoke yesterday, but if that proves awkward to operate I'll be going for a dual style pressure gauge!