Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon - First ride

gregster10217
gregster10217 Posts: 469
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
I've had it since Monday, and managed to set it up, but due to work, only just been able to get out for the inaugural ride. A brisk 10 miles really just to make sure everything was as it should be, saddle at the right height and position, etc, etc.
Anyway, first thing I noticed was how much smoother the road felt. So much of the bumps and humps seemed to disappear and those that didn't felt so much different - softer if you like. The bike just seemd to absorb it all. It is very light (well compared to my old steel framed Dawes!) and very responsive when you put the power down. Got to remember when I come out of the saddle to sprint how light it is. It's a completely different feeling to anything I've ridden before.
The SRAM Rival groupset is very easy to use. I was riding Shimano 105 on the Dawes and thought the change to the double tap SRAM system would take a while to get used to, but it quickly became second nature and by the end of the ride, I wasn't thinking about it, just doing it. The old Dawes had 52/42 front chain rings, so riding a compact was noticably different. Going up hills was so much easier, and where I used to use first, I was in 7th/8th up the last hill before the short blast to home.
The saddle is ok. I think I need to give it a few longer rides before I fully make up my mind about it, but did not get any numbness, and it felt like my sit bones were being supported, but I'll see how it goes.
The tyres are Vittoria Rubino (?) and not the Continental Ultras I expected them to be. A bit dirty now though, but they do look good against the white frame.
Anyway, if someone could tell me how to add pics, I'll put them on.
Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
Boardman MTB Team

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Add pics by uploading them to a web location [FlickR, your own web space etc), then copy / paste the URL into your msg and surround it with the IMG tags - click the Img button above the message text edit area. Trim of any spaces, and remember to include the complete URL from http all the way through to the extension (jpg usually).

Take out any spaces in this example to see how it should look
    [img]http%20:%20//%20somewebsite/pics/mypic1.jpg[/img]
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    Is it this one?

DSC01027.jpg
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    they look so good in white. lovely ride and explosive acceleration. koolstop will keen the brakes up the calipers are fine.
  • Where did you get the bottle cage? Looks great!
  • Are there no wheel reflectors on the spokes? My standard team boardman has them.
  • There WERE wheel reflectors, but they came off, along with front and rear reflectors and the bell!!!

Hope the links below work.
    ?action=view&current=IMG_1851.jpg
    ?action=view&current=IMG_1848.jpg
    ?action=view&current=IMG_1850.jpg
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Doesn't seem to work, don't know what I've done wrong!?
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Bah, cant wait to get mine!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Doesn't seem to work, don't know what I've done wrong!?

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Anybody thats got one able to answer what sorts of mudguards would fit?
  • Probably only the clip on ones as there are no specific holes ready 'drilled' to take the more permenent type.

And how did you get my photos to appear? Very odd, must be me!! Thanks
    Boardman MTB Team
  • rokkala
    Was gonna get a Condor Fratello for winter bike as my work doing C2W now too, but seriously tempted to get this now instead, arghhh
  • the frame looks sweet the only thing I'd change is the yellow hoods.
    I have a standard black team carbon. If I had white bike I'd have to clean it constantly after use.

gregster10217 what pump have on the frame?
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    Picking mine up this afternoon, very excited now :D
  • what size have you both gone for? Im waiting on the XL, as its 2" longer top tube than my trek 58, and I feel I would prefer a slightly bigger frame.
  • rake
    how tall are you squilset the xl is a big rig.
  • 6 foot 1, sat on it in the shop and liked it. I have what would be the L. and find it a tad cramped, and I run a 130mm stem!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That looks mighty fine in white!

Miles better than that black.

Shame they don't do frame only...
  • Im correct in thinking that the XL boardman would be a 60cm trek 1.5?
  • rake
    sounds right. i could probably used a xl im 5'12" shortish body. bikes pleanty long enough but the seat had to be jacked up.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    rake wrote:
    sounds right. i could probably used a xl im 5'12" shortish body. bikes pleanty long enough but the seat had to be jacked up.

So you are 6'' then :wink::)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    White is sexy.
  • rokkala
    'Tis a fine looking bike, black one is fugly tho.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Actually that is a whole lot better in the flesh (so to speak) than the pics on the Boardman/Halfords website. Very nice.

apart from the yellow hoods. They'd have to go.
  • Am I the only one who likes the yellow "hoodz"
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    I like the yellow hoodz :)

Rode it to town to show the guys in my lbs, its quite a conspicuous bike, not hiding from anyone on it!

Mines already had its first bit of damage though, had a stone hit the frame and chip the lacquer over the paint. Very frustrating! :(
    Hopefully can find something to re-touch it back in, looks like the white paint underneath is intact.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Am I the only one who likes the yellow "hoodz"

I like them, but gutted none left as I was wanting one!
  • Went back to the shop to double check size, after now sitting on the Large & XL, I have ended up with a L..

Good thing I went back to try!
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Looks really nice in white! Is that flat white or pearlescent? How stiff is the frame? (please let me know as a service to cydesdales!)

Congrats on the acquisition! :twisted:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • rake
    edited December 2009
    theyre really nice in black too.equally in my op