It's decision time - please help me make a decision

road_runner12
road_runner12 Posts: 113
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Right, nearing the end and thanks for your help so far on the other thread.

Been to look at a few bikes lately and my small hands can't cope with the Sora shifters. So I've narrowed it down to a few bikes, I've included the price I can get them for too.

Trek 1.5 £700
Giant Defy 2 £745
Scott Speedster S 30 £799
Cube Peloton £799

Which one would you go for? Any other bikes I've missed in this price range that you'd recommend - feel free to mention them.

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    and my small hands can't cope with the Sora shifters.

Well at least they've all got Shimano Tiagra or better on them so you won't need to worry about small hands. On the down side, you'll never get on with Campag :shock:

Anyhow, my personal favourite of those four would be the Giant, because:

1. It was the first brand of road bike I ever had
    2. The Mavic CXP22 wheels are most likely the best
    3. Colour scheme is more striking than the others

Though make sure you get at least the rear end covered by mudguards if the chain and seat stays are white............
  • prod_21208.jpg
  • I'd go have a good look at teh Cube. Not only is it the best looking of them all but I think Cube are very understated bikes. I'd already got my Trek 1.5 before I'd found a local Cube dealer. I was a bit gutted to be honest.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • This is where we recommend our bikes, so! I like my Cannondale CAAD9 - you might find a last years Tiagra within your budget. Make sure with any of your short list you try before you buy, not just to get the right size, but to get a feel of the bike too. Have fun in making your decision. But beware decisions always exclude! :wink:
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • CAAD 9 V Good Bike, Evans has some Tiagra 09 models for 809 CAAD9
  • Any info on the Scott Speedster S30?

Think I am leaning towards the Trek in terms of price and the popularity of the brand. Anyone got a 1.5?

Thanks for the help so far, much apreciated
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There is no contest.

Cannondale CAAD9.

One of the best frames I've ever ridden.
  • By the way - anyone aware of a Merida or Wilier up to £850 that's worth looking at?
  • I got a Trek 1.5 yesterday, the Triple model, really enjoying it so far, its only my first road bike though so I can't tell you much but I've had no problems with it so far at all.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    By the way - anyone aware of a Merida or Wilier up to £850 that's worth looking at?

worth a look. Just bought a wilier and it looks fantastic! Not ridden it yet due to a bad neck :(
  • Anonymous
    Bl00dy hell, if it's your size it's a must buy!

The frame is normally 700 quid on it's own!!

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-CAAD9-Tiagra-Compact-2009-Road-Bike_21193.htm
  • NapoleonD wrote:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-CAAD9-Tiagra-Compact-2009-Road-Bike_21193.htm

Wish it were my size, but with an inside leg of 29inches and being 5ft 9, I think I'm struggling...

Thanks for that though
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:

Wish it were my size, but with an inside leg of 29inches and being 5ft 9, I think I'm struggling...

Thanks for that though

That is your size then?!?

Or do you prefer a 54?
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Thanks for that though

That is your size then?!?

Or do you prefer a 54?

Have sat on a few bikes and was advised that 54 would be the one for me, simply to allow me the best possible position to ride from. Do you think I could possibly manage a 56 frame?
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm, best to try. Go by top tube length rather than seat tube height.
    A 56 would be towards the large size for you but may be perfect...
  • Anonymous
    Tiagra Triple in a 54 at the same place!

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-CAAD9-Tiagra-Triple-2009-Road-Bike_21194.htm

Honestly, the CAAD9 frame blows anything else remotely near the price out of the water.

In fact, I would rather have a CAAD9 frame than a lot of Carbon Fibre ones...
  • Will phone them tomorrow to see if they'll still got it. Hoping it'll be in their Swansea branch because I'm only around the corner - thanks for the help Nap-D!
  • CAAD 9 for me!
  • CAAD9. The easiest 'what bike?' question ever. :D
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Contacted the shop regarding the Cannondale CAAD9 54cm - they told me that they didn't have it at the store and that it was stored in a warehouse. The only way I could try it was to buy it which is I was really annoyed about to be honest. That's twice I've had poor service from there.

May just stick with my other bike shop who haven't got the mentality of "we'll sell you anything you want even if it isn't right for you"

They sell Giant, Trek and Wilier - any comments on the bikes previously specified or any others I should be aware of?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    CAAD9
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • prod_21208.jpg

waw, this looks well nice
  • Think it's going to have to be either the Trek 1.5 or Giant Defy2 simply because I can't get 2009 models on sale price with the cycle 2 work scheme.

Anybody got one?

Also, if you had the choice - compact or triple? Pros & Cons?

• Also, if you had the choice - compact or triple? Pros & Cons?

...the argument rages on... :wink: I would toss a coin, heads for compact; tails for triple and on the edge for Standard.

Seriously, if you're an inexperienced cyclist go for triple. 30 year veteran cyclists have spend weeks/months/years deciding compact or triple.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Anonymous
    Think it's going to have to be either the Trek 1.5 or Giant Defy2 simply because I can't get 2009 models on sale price with the cycle 2 work scheme.

Anybody got one?

www.royles.biz

CAAD9 on Cycle to work...

Give them a ring, ask for Dan. Tell him Alex recommended them...
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Think it's going to have to be either the Trek 1.5 or Giant Defy2 simply because I can't get 2009 models on sale price with the cycle 2 work scheme.

Anybody got one?

www.royles.biz

CAAD9 out of my price range on that website. Got to stick with a budget of £850 for the cycle 2 work scheme.

By the way, general question for any bike I'll get, compact or triple? Also as a beginner, what would be better suited to me?
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:

Anybody got one?

www.royles.biz

Go for a triple. My first road bike has a triple, and as I now use that bike for commuting and winter/training I usually keep it in the 42 ring in front as its really versatile. You will have a 52 usually and a granny ring for bigger/longer climbs that wil get you out of trouble. I would have died if I hadn't have had a triple the first time I did the Dragonride. You can change the triple later on if you want anyway, upgrade the spec.
    If you get into cycling bgtime, you have only started spending money anyway. :wink:
    Just my opinion. :D

CAAD9 out of my price range on that website. Got to stick with a budget of £850 for the cycle 2 work scheme.

By the way, general question for any bike I'll get, compact or triple? Also as a beginner, what would be better suited to me?
  • Just to update the situation.

Tried the Trek 1.5 and it didn't feel right for me. Whilst at the shop I spotted another two bikes worthy of consideration. So my current list is:

Giant Defy 2 - £825
    Ridley Eos - £850
    Wilier Escape Xenon - £799

The Ridley looked bloody fantastic so I'm really keen on that one. Can't find many reviews on it though. Also with the Wilier, not sure what the gearset is like with that one.

Any info much appreciated.
  • Bl00dy hell Nap-D, how much commission are 'dale giving you? Every time - CAAD9, if other bikes were as inferior as you imply surely there would be only one bike left :wink:

PPS why did you never recommend it for me :cry: