Operación Puerto: case closed

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
edited December 2009 in Pro race

Comments

• Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Case Closed -- was it ever really opened?
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    Valverde off the hook as well as Contador,Nadal et al...
    Once again an opportunity to clean up cycling is missed
    Very frustrating
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    shakey88 wrote:
    Very frustrating

Two things-
    Is it possible that this so called "opportunity" wasn't really an "opportunity" at all????
    Very frustrating for whom???? Actually, I know the answer(for you apparently). Don't understand why, but if you're frustrated then I guess you're frustrated.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Frustrating for WADA.

valverde isn't off the hook. He can't be sanctioned in Spain but if the Italians have enough evidence, their ban will stand.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The Spanish law is an ass. Riders were using the services of Fuentes to cheat and there should be some justice there, people involved ought to be banned.

But above all, the clinic was not sanctioned to perform this sort of thing and those involved, from running the clinic to transporting ice coolers with pouches of blood, were taking big risks with the riders health.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    dennisn wrote:
    shakey88 wrote:
    Very frustrating

Two things-
    Is it possible that this so called "opportunity" wasn't really an "opportunity" at all????
    Very frustrating for whom???? Actually, I know the answer(for you apparently). Don't understand why, but if you're frustrated then I guess you're frustrated.

Not sure what your point is(if any),so i'd like to hear your opinion on yet another fiasco,cover up,call it what you will.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    dennisn wrote:
    Two things-
    It was clearly an opportunity: records and means of cheating were found. It wasn't, obviously, an opportunity to end all cheating, but it clearly was an opportunity to bring sanctions against some folk who had clearly cheated.
    Given the above, it's frustrating for anyone who wants to see less cheating.
    How is this one complicated?
    A doctor sells a way of cheating that grossly distorts results & is potentially massively dangerous. Who benefits from this? The doctor & those who benefit, don't get ill & succeed, obviously. Who else?
    Or is it OK that folk make a huge profit risking the lives of others for our entertainment?
    Some of the questions you ask make sense: this one is just a silly....
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Since people gamble on races should any attempt to distort results be a case of fraud?

Surely would put people off if they were getting a jail sentence.
  • Lausanne, 15 December 2009 - The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has fixed the hearing dates for the two arbitration procedures involving the Spanish cyclist Alejandro Valverde.
    http://www.tas-cas.org/en/infogenerales ... 92-15-1-1/
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • Bakunin wrote:

In terms of cyclists YES.

In terms of other sportsmen NO.
    Don't rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    dennisn wrote:
    shakey88 wrote:
    Very frustrating

Two things-

It was an OPPORTUNITY for authorities to show they take this seriously. It was a opportunity for the Spanish government, if they weren't take the case seriously themselves, to hand what evidence there is over to WADA.

It was an opportunity for WADA then to work with the implicated sport's Governing Bodies to show complete transparency.
  • Grimone wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

In terms of cyclists YES.

In terms of other sportsmen NO.
    Exactly. The door was slammed shut on this one about 1 day after it was mentioned that football players from Real Madrid and Barcelona may have visited the good doctor. All mentions of a Spanish tennis player disappeared too. The only statement made by Spanish authorities about Valverde was to say that he was definitely NOT involved.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Makes total sense that not a single Spaniard was using the Spanish and Spain based Dr. :lol:
  • And a gynaecologist at that. Leads to the obvious observation about treating .......
    Dan
  • Hardly surprising that the it was closed again, to much too lose for the spanish. Hopefully Valverde will get his ban when CAS finally make a decision on the Italian ban and it doesnt run into next season.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.