Cycling form confusion.

mask of sanity
mask of sanity Posts: 610
Am getting very confused about my cycling ability at the moment. I started cycling in June and had gotten my average speed up to the mid 18 low 19's mph (I know average isn't a great indicator but that's with factors effecting it considered) for distances up to 60 miles. But since going back to uni I've not been able to get out as often as I was in the summer (was cycling about 120 miles a week on average) and as a result my performance has suffered.

The thing that's confusing me is that I'm able to maintain a similar speed for the first thirty miles or so but after that I'm finding that I'm bonking in just a couple of miles. I'm not eating any less then I did in the summer and keep hydrated. I expected my lack of form to show in an inability to maintain the same speeds not in more frequent bonking! Is what I'm experiencing normal or is there likely to be another factor involved?! (I often feel faint and have quite a low BP).

Cheers.

Comments

• Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I'm not eating any less then I did in the summer

This might be your problem. As you get fitter, you can put out more power for a given time, therefore, you probably need to eat more per hour for the same effort because you're burning more fuel per hour.

That's my theory anyway, maybe i'm wrong...(?)
  • If you're not as fit you can't maintain the same speed. Try easing back a bit. This time of year it's harder to go fast anyway, so don't count your summer averages.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • If you're not as fit you can't maintain the same speed. Try easing back a bit. This time of year it's harder to go fast anyway, so don't count your summer averages.

So if you're not as fit it's possible to go at the speeds you used to but you won't be able to maintain it for the same amount of time?
  • So if you're not as fit it's possible to go at the speeds you used to but you won't be able to maintain it for the same amount of time?
    Yes
  • So if you're not as fit it's possible to go at the speeds you used to but you won't be able to maintain it for the same amount of time?
    Yes

Ohh, that's what I've been doing wrong then! Cheers.