Saddle cutout

nax-ian
nax-ian Posts: 209
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Does the cut out in the latest saddles help in any way, or is it just a marketing ploy?
Comments please guys.
Finished

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Mine's got one - it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever had, even on 100+ mile rides the saddle is never the issue when it comes to wondering if I'll make it.

The cut out supposedly adds better definition to the contact points, and allows your nether regions more air circulation. It works for me.
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    and the pinching of a nerve that research has suggested can lead to a floppy k**b
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I've started using a saddle with a big cut out in the past year & think it 'works'
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I vote for "it works". It's not perfect but "it works".
  • dennisn
    DamonC wrote:
    and the pinching of a nerve that research has suggested can lead to a floppy k**b

I thought it was because the pressure of the saddle could cause any one(or all) of the three blood vessels, running into your penis, to permanently collapse, thus limiting your ability to get an erection.
    I can understand the nerve pinch idea though.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    dennisn wrote:
    DamonC wrote:

I thought it was because the pressure of the saddle could cause any one(or all) of the three blood vessels, running into your penis, to permanently collapse, thus limiting your ability to get an erection.

4500 miles this year on mine; no probs reported so far from the other half. I understood that the cut-out relieves pressure on the surrounding area, and concentrates it on what we call the sit-bones. Don't know if that's a medical term or not, but it works.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yes, the cut out works. 10,000+ miles and a pain-free knob say so!
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Pokerface wrote:

You sure that's not just because it's numb!!

:wink:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Pokerface
    teagar wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Excellent point. Can I recruit you to manually check it for me mid-ride next time I'm out? :P
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I've moved from a non cut-out saddle to a cut out one this year, as I was experiencing numbness down below on rides of 4 hours or more.

The cut-out saddle has completely solved this problem. :D
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Pokerface wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Excellent point. Can I recruit you to manually check it for me mid-ride next time I'm out? :P

What, poke it with needles to see if you can actually feel pain?

Sure... :twisted:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Pokerface
    teagar wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

What, poke it with needles to see if you can actually feel pain?

Sure... :twisted:

Normally I have to pay extra for that!
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    i have the selle italia gel flow and gel flow xc for my mtb, i tried loads of saddles and these are the only ones i get on with, and thats after trying all the really popular stuff without a 'scoop' it all depends on your shape so try whats best for you.
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • dennisn wrote:
    DamonC wrote:

:shock: I'm taking up running...........

EDIT; what's a good one top use then(currently have Arione and some crappy coda half wrecked jobbie), i'm actually getting paranoid now, aint worth the risk IMO
  • hmm, just got my first proper bike and am suffering numb knob.. Ditch the saddle? Adjust it? Get used to it?
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • timmyflash wrote:
    hmm, just got my first proper bike and am suffering numb knob.. Ditch the saddle? Adjust it? Get used to it?

Don't sit on your knob would be a good start big boy..... :D
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I have an Avatar Gel saddle with the cutout and I find it painful after 2 hours (Currently looking for something else). Even worse when the road is wet all the cutout seems to do is channel all the surface water up at my nether regions.
  • At least it'll keep the blighters cool :wink: What is uncomfortable about it? Your buttocks or nether's? :)
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    It's both actually. I think that it's too wide for my buttocks which makes it painful on my sit bones, and it crushes the nethers. It looks like the hunt for a comfy saddle is about to begin.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Bontrager seem to think that the cut-out only makes issues of soreness even worse hence their new "university study backed" saddles:
    http://bontrager.com/inform/saddles

Mine hasn't got a cut out at the moment but I'm thinking about trying one of the selle italia ones as a lot of people seem to sya good things about them!
  • Spesh Toupe - works for me
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Absolutely works!

Used a Selle Italia Flite with cut out for years. Earlier this year I thought I would find out what the fuss was with the Fizik saddles so swapped to one. After the first ride I went for a piss and had a burning sensation, which took almost 24 hours to go away. Needless to say I swapped back to the Selle Italia and I will not be trying saddles without a cut out ever again!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    lfcquin wrote:
    Absolutely works!

Used a Selle Italia Flite with cut out for years. Earlier this year I thought I would find out what the fuss was with the Fizik saddles so swapped to one. After the first ride I went for a wee-wee and had a burning sensation, which took almost 24 hours to go away. Needless to say I swapped back to the Selle Italia and I will not be trying saddles without a cut out ever again!

Your anecdote doesn't really prove anything though Chris. Most of the Pro Peloton ride without cutout saddles, and they can choose any saddle they want from their sponsor's range.

I've never used a cutout saddle and I've never had an issue.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    lfcquin wrote:
    Absolutely works!

Used a Selle Italia Flite with cut out for years. Earlier this year I thought I would find out what the fuss was with the Fizik saddles so swapped to one. After the first ride I went for a wee-wee and had a burning sensation, which took almost 24 hours to go away. Needless to say I swapped back to the Selle Italia and I will not be trying saddles without a cut out ever again!

Your anecdote doesn't really prove anything though Chris. Most of the Pro Peloton ride without cutout saddles, and they can choose any saddle they want from their sponsor's range.

I'm going to have to write a book about how nothing in cycling is known for sure. Nothing can be proven. Nothing is backed by facts that aren't in dispute. No formula exists
    for sizing and fitting a bike to anyone. No one knows if carbon, titanium, alloy, or steel
    is "the best". I could go on and on. :wink::wink:
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin wrote:
    Absolutely works! (for me)

Fair point.- Fixed! :wink:
  • fudbeer
    fudbeer Posts: 118
    Another vote for the cut out here.

I could not go back to a saddle without it now.

I don't think the traditional saddle is a good design as it puts all the weight in the wrong area.
    Currently I have been mostly riding a Specialized Roubaix Comp
  • redddraggon
    dennisn wrote:
    I'm going to have to write a book about how nothing in cycling is known for sure. Nothing can be proven. Nothing is backed by facts that aren't in dispute. No formula exists for sizing and fitting a bike to anyone. No one knows if carbon, titanium, alloy, or steel
    is "the best". I could go on and on. :wink::wink:

A lot of it is preference.

Saying cutouts are definitely better is like saying size 11 shoes are best for everyone
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • lfcquin
    Saying cutouts are definitely better is like saying size 11 shoes are best for everyone

That's just silly. Everyone know's size 10's are the best.
  • redddraggon
    lfcquin wrote:

That's just silly. Everyone know's size 10's are the best.

Well yeh, I use size 10s.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr