Petition to No. 10 - please do read and sign if you can!

glenncampbell
glenncampbell Posts: 51
edited May 2010 in Campaign
Hi all,

This was posted up on xcracer.com by Roy - it's a petition to make 3 feet the minimum overtaking distance for drivers overtaking cyclists, as oppossed to 3cm if we're lucky in London.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/3feet2Pass/

Please do sign it if you get a chance - every little helps. . . . .

Comments

• beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Enact that law as it's written and the next time a cyclist is struck by someone opening a car door the police would prosecute the cyclist.

It would also define "too close" for cycists with regards to rule 163 in the HC:

"Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should...not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake."

So if you want the law to safeguard the driver of a 44 tonne truck when, travelling at 70mph, they pass 36.1 inches from a cyclist go for it.......

Bob
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    beverick wrote:
    Enact that law as it's written and the next time a cyclist is struck by someone opening a car door the police would prosecute the cyclist.

It would also define "too close" for cycists with regards to rule 163 in the HC:

"Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should...not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake."

So if you want the law to safeguard the driver of a 44 tonne truck when, travelling at 70mph, they pass 36.1 inches from a cyclist go for it.......

Bob

I'm not sure how you go to your first line. Have I missed something?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Beverick, you don't say whether you signed it or not :wink:

I can't open the link at work for some reason but I guess it details the onus of blame onto the overtaking object whatever it is, so a cyclist taken out 2 and a half feet from a randomly opened car door would automatically be considered to be at fault as the overtaker.

if thats right, it'd be interesting to see how that squared with the assertions on the recent 'bike hits opened passenger door whilst riding on the pavement' thread that the responsibility is on the vehicle driver to ensure it is safe to open their door prior to doing so.

theres only one way to sort it out, fiiiiiggggghhhhtttttttttt...............

serious question tho , probably to Spen, if there are contrasting laws on both sides of the same incident how is priority and culpability sorted? case by case consideration or is there a poker hand hierachy of laws?
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    spen666 wrote:
    beverick wrote:

Bob

It's hypothetical and tenuous (so I won't be entering into further debate) but my line of thought was that, by assuming that the cyclist wasn't present when the vehicle was parked the motorist will by definition have left the distance required by law. Therefore, and given that this is a fair assumption, if a cyclist is then knocked off by a door being opened they must have entered into the space left by the motorist. Hence the proposed legislation could be used to provide prima facie evidence that the cycist was riding carelessly at the point of impact.

Bob

ps By the way, I won't be signing the petition as I belive the legislation would weaken the legal position of the cyclist.
  • spen666
    beverick wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    beverick wrote:

Bob

It's hypothetical and tenuous (so I won't be entering into further debate) but my line of thought was that, by assuming that the cyclist wasn't present when the vehicle was parked the motorist will by definition have left the distance required by law. Therefore, and given that this is a fair assumption, if a cyclist is then knocked off by a door being opened they must have entered into the space left by the motorist. Hence the proposed legislation could be used to provide prima facie evidence that the cycist was riding carelessly at the point of impact.

Bob

ps By the way, I won't be signing the petition as I belive the legislation would weaken the legal position of the cyclist.

I find your interpretation of the wording of the petition strange. I don't see the negativity in it that you do and am puzzled whee you find the negativity.

The wording could not mean the cyclist is committing an offence.

It is worded clearly to cover mororists passing cyclists. It does not cover the reverse situation.

how do you come to theconclusion it will weaken the cyclists position?

Twittering @spen_666
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Isnt it advised in the HC to pass by much more than 3ft? There are also clearly circumstances when 3 ft would not be enough room e.g, the lorry passing at high speed mentioned above. The danger is that 3ft doesnt become the minimum but becomes the norm give or take a foot or two either way. Just as most drivers will happily do high 30s in a 30 zone, 85-90 on a motorway, etc, I can easily see drivers testing that limit. Of course some will already pass closely but enshrining this distance in law seems to me to be a mistake.
  • 3ft not nearly enough.
  • spen666
    3 feet is better than the 3 inches you get at present if lucky

Twittering @spen_666
  • Imagine the scenario:

You are cycling along in one lane with empty road ahead of you; on the other side is a long line of gridlocked traffic.

You have a car behind who has waited patiently but who wants to overtake; a queue is starting to form behind them.

Unfortunately it's going to be a long time before the car can overtake with 3 feet of room because of the gridlock on the other side so, would you rather the cars come past you slowly but closer than 3 feet or have a queue of (possibly) impatient drivers forming behind?

Personally I'd rather the first option because I'd rather someone passed me slowly and carefully BEFORE they've got to the point of impatience but they wouldn't get the option if this OP was law.

If you prefer the second option how long would you be prepared to have a queue forming before you felt awkward (if ever) and would you pull over?
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    done
    Justice for the 96
  • The Gov'ner's response is thus:

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page22257
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The Gov'ner's response is thus:

A good pile of sh1te - that they take all those months in order to write that tripe really makes me feel angry.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    gabriel959 wrote:
    The Gov'ner's response is thus:

A good pile of sh1te - that they take all those months in order to write that tripe really makes me feel angry.

I agree, and as I said on another cycling forum earlier the last paragraph is simply a f***ing salespitch. :evil:
  • iRider
    iRider Posts: 33
    Nice work!
    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever."
    Lance Armstrong
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    unfortunetly most car truck drivers are not cyclists and some do not give room to bikes thats life
    going downhill slowly