Keeping Waterproofs Waterproof

ropey
ropey Posts: 96
edited December 2009 in MTB general
I'm just after getting a pair of Endura Superlite Shorts http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19369
Haven't worn them yet,but what is the best way to look after them and keep them waterproof?

Comments

• Get yourself some Nikwax Techwash for cleaning them and some Nikwax TX Direct wash in to reproof them (it does work). Use it on all my waterproof stuff (goretex, random other fabrics). The wash in re-proofer isn't suitable for things for breathable liners though, just outer shells so maybe get a spray on re-proofer like the TX Direct spray on.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    As bluehelmet said, but you could try simple snow flakes washing stuff, cheap and effective. stay away from biological stuff.
  • i-drive
    i-drive Posts: 527
    wash them very little . eco balls is a very good option & long term investment.
  • ropey
    So even hose them down along with the bike after a spin untill they start to reek?
  • bluehelmet wrote:
    Get yourself some Nikwax Techwash for cleaning them and some Nikwax TX Direct wash in to reproof them (it does work). Use it on all my waterproof stuff (goretex, random other fabrics). The wash in re-proofer isn't suitable for things for breathable liners though, just outer shells so maybe get a spray on re-proofer like the TX Direct spray on.

TX Direct is made for breathable linings, like GoreTex, eVent etc. The washin is better value than the spray on version too. Although, it is a good idea to get some to spray the arse area of the shorts as extra protection as this is where the most mud/water tends to go - unless you have a mud gurd.

If you neglect the washing/reproofing your clothing will not stop being waterproof, the reproofers improve the DWR coating, when this goes the shell 'wets out' stopping the clothing/liner breathe, you get wet from condensed sweat from the inside, not water from the outside.

Grangers is good but avoid if the clothing care label will not allow you to tumble dry, as it needs tumble drying to activate it.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    dont use bio washing ppwder what ever happens, use eco balls to wash them, and occasionaly hand wash them with nickwax, and if they have lost their waterproofing, follow that with nickwax rewaterproofer.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ropey
    Ah well,there goes the hope they would fine just sticking them in the wash with the rest of the gear and forgetting about them :(
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    If you go to the Nikwax website and do the quiz about their products, they send you a sample pack of a product. I got Techwash last time.

Just thought I'd mention it.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • ropey wrote:
    Ah well,there goes the hope they would fine just sticking them in the wash with the rest of the gear and forgetting about them :(

Like I said they will not stop being waterproof, you'l just get a bit sweaty inside. It's always best to look after your gear though.
  • Just as an aside, my new Endura Event jacket says that, after washing, you should use a steam iron to reactivate the waterproofness of the Event fabric :shock:

Anyone ever tried this, as I'm a bit worried about getting stuck in with an iron on an expensive jacket like that! :?
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Broonster wrote:
    Just as an aside, my new Endura Event jacket says that, after washing, you should use a steam iron to reactivate the waterproofness of the Event fabric :shock:

Anyone ever tried this, as I'm a bit worried about getting stuck in with an iron on an expensive jacket like that! :?

Just read this on the eVent fabric web site:
    Do not use fabric softeners or bleach. Never dry-clean your garment. We also
    recommend that you avoid ironing the garment but if you do use the steam setting
    on no higher temperature than "warm". At some temperatures, the heat from the
    iron can have a rejuvenating effect on the DWR finish but there is a greater potential
    for fabric damage if the iron is too hot

http://www.eventfabrics.com/care_and_maintenance.php
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    edited December 2009
    alfablue wrote:
    Broonster wrote:
    Just as an aside, my new Endura Event jacket says that, after washing, you should use a steam iron to reactivate the waterproofness of the Event fabric :shock:

Just read this on the eVent fabric web site:
    Do not use fabric softeners or bleach. Never dry-clean your garment. We also
    recommend that you avoid ironing the garment but if you do use the steam setting
    on no higher temperature than "warm". At some temperatures, the heat from the
    iron can have a rejuvenating effect on the DWR finish but there is a greater potential
    for fabric damage if the iron is too hot

http://www.eventfabrics.com/care_and_maintenance.php

Hmm, it does say "warm iron" on the washing label to "rejuvinate" the DWR finish. Still a bit reluctant to do that though. And since the site does say that you should avoid doing it, I probably will. Begs the question though - why mention it on the washing instruction label?!

I remember many moons ago putting gore-tex garments in a warm heat in the tumble drier to 'rejuvinate' the fabric - it did actually work too. The fabric used to suck up water, after much washing - although rain water still didn't come through when wearing it - but after tumble drying, the water just beaded on the top like when it was new.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Yes, it is a bit worrying and contradictory - and if they say avoid doing it then you can bet they would cite that as a reason to refuse warranty support (though I have enquired what sort of warranty they offer but they have never bothered to reply).