Anyone using 2010 Revelations yet?

toasty
toasty Posts: 2,598
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Just curious what people were thinking so far. My Meta and my Mojo are currently sharing a pair of Fox Float RLs which obviously isn't ideal, so I need a nice light set of 140mm trail forks for the Mojo early next year. It's too shiny to use in the current mud so it's not massively urgent but I'm impatient :)

I'm not massively bothered about 20mm axles, don't need U-Turn, I'm perfectly fine with Motion Control damping and the fact that the Race model is claimed to be 1630g at £275ish is a bit of a winner for me currently.

Has anyone weighed them yet? Are those claimed weight numbers hideously optimistic? That's 145g heavier than a 2010 Sid Team apparently, seems a bit crazy.

I did ponder going the pretty fork route and sticking some DT Swiss EXC on the front, seems a waste though for near triple the price, more weight with worse performance :( Anything else worth pondering? New Manitou Minutes? Any better deals than £275 about? ;)

Comments

• grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    2010 ones are 150mm travel aren't they? According to mbuk qr on long travel forks is 'obsolete' ;)
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    yup 150mm but you get the spacers supplied to reduce travel.
    im running them on my 575 and find them superb. used float rl/vans and 09 revs on the 575 but the new revs are best by far. fox's are too twangy even with the 15mm axle and i hate the play in the bushes wich fox say is normal, feels like the headsets loose when you brake.

ive not weighed them but they are lighter than the 09 rev u-turn maxle they replaced.

thumbs up from me.
  • I've got 2010 rev race dual air but no way of weighing them sorry :(

They look lush though :lol:
  • toasty
    grumsta wrote:
    2010 ones are 150mm travel aren't they? According to mbuk qr on long travel forks is 'obsolete' ;)

They're available as both, the ones Merlin and On-One are selling cheap are both 140mm.

Fine by me using an obsolete system, it's on a lightweight bike and certainly won't be getting dropped off anything bigger than the Meta will. I'd probably have maxle if it cost and weighed the same, otherwise I doubt I'll notice the difference :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The weights are indeed incredibly good if true - makes you wonder why we even have a Reba - just use a shortened Rev!

Though that weight will be for the very lightest model which may have custom chopped stanchions ie a 140m max QR Rev. WHich is what you want anyway lol.
  • toasty
    Yup :) Given the claimed weight I thought the weight weenie types would be all over them, sadly I can't find anyone with a set yet. At that claimed weight I'd save half a pound over a set of Floats, which is pretty silly.
  • I've just had a pair fitted and they were considerably lighter than the pikes they replaced but didn't get round to weighing them. :oops:

BTW the travel adjust spacer is a service only job unless you routinely service your own shocks - however the Bike radar test on one of the '10 revs stated that they were only 4mm taller than last years 140mm so it's probably not worth bothering with.

Haven't yet ridden with them but they look ace! 8)
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    They're available as both, the ones Merlin and On-One are selling cheap are both 140mm.

Almost certainly OEM ones I reckon - not that it's necessarily a problem.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    I`m currently running 09 Maxle U-turns and was considering upgrading to the 10 Maxle teams with the blackbox. I don`t think the outlay is really worth it though. :cry:
  • I have 2010 Rev Race dual air maxle which I accurately weighed at 3.86 lb. 3.85 lb claimed by RS. Replaced a Pike on my 2007 Orange 5 but not fully tested yet.
    Also FYI
    2009 Rev dual air 140mm maxle, weigh 4.4 lb, RS claimed 3.85 lb, hmmmm. Pike lowers what do you expect?
    2008 Pike 454 dual air u-turn, weigh 4.76 lb. 2009 u-turn Revs would be similar so better off with a cheap old Pike than a 2009 Rev. Great on a 456Ti.
    2007 Rev dual air 130mm, weigh 3.76 lb. Still a brilliant fork and perfect on a Summer Season, much better than the Pike.
    Orange Clockwork 2007
    Orange 5 2007
    Just bought 2008 P7 frame (Orange fan? Me!)
    Cotic Soul
    Pace RC303
    Marin Mount Vision 2005, for sale
    Stumpy HT 2006, shite, sold
    Kona Lava Dome fully rigid
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    scottalej wrote:
    2009 Rev dual air 140mm maxle, weigh 4.4 lb, RS claimed 3.85 lb, hmmmm. Pike lowers what do you expect?

Mine don't weigh that much :? Just over 4lbs for me including the maxle, so I guess they'd be close to the claimed weight if you don't include it (which would be reasonable since you don't include quick releases with a regular fork) I think that was after I'd removed the poplock mind, but they don't weigh all that much. I was pretty surprised myself mind but they're not drastically heavier than my 08 QR Revs.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • toasty
    scottalej wrote:
    I have 2010 Rev Race dual air maxle which I accurately weighed at 3.86 lb. 3.85 lb claimed by RS.

Thanks very much, just what I was after :) I'll assume they're telling the truth on all of them.
  • GarryM
    GarryM Posts: 77
    If you are in two minds about whether to have the Maxle or not - I'd recommend having it. I have Rev 09s with 20mm Maxle and I am very impressed by the direct steering - much more so than my 08 Rebas with QR and the 140mm Fox forks I tried with QR. It feels very stiff and secure. It's one of my stand out memories of the first few rides on my current bike. I'd be surprised if you couldn't tell the difference.
  • toasty
    GarryM wrote:
    If you are in two minds about whether to have the Maxle or not - I'd recommend having it. I have Rev 09s with 20mm Maxle and I am very impressed by the direct steering - much more so than my 08 Rebas with QR and the 140mm Fox forks I tried with QR. It feels very stiff and secure. It's one of my stand out memories of the first few rides on my current bike. I'd be surprised if you couldn't tell the difference.

I'm keeping the Meta of more of a burly AM bike, the Mojo just wants to be light and fast. It depends how much more it costs and how much weight it adds to be honest. Both my bikes are running Hope hubs though so it's definitely a consideration.

Edit: Oh, it looks like the maxle lite weighs 80g for the entire axle, only 30g or so heavier than QR. Wonder how cheap I can get the maxle version.
  • Toasty wrote:
    GarryM wrote:

I'm keeping the Meta of more of a burly AM bike, the Mojo just wants to be light and fast. It depends how much more it costs and how much weight it adds to be honest. Both my bikes are running Hope hubs though so it's definitely a consideration.

Edit: Oh, it looks like the maxle lite weighs 80g for the entire axle, only 30g or so heavier than QR. Wonder how cheap I can get the maxle version.
    I got the 2010 Race Dual air Maxle light for £350 from Rutland cycling. Cheapest I found on the net, but I think they've now taken it off their site due to zero stock :(
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i found rutland cycling to be cheapest. you get 10% off code if you become a fan on there facebook page. i paid about £320 for my 150mm duel air maxle race's
  • toasty
    Nice find cheers, might well do that if the offer is around in a couple of weeks :)
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I am confused by all these Revelation options. I would like an adjustable travel, lightweight, stiff front end for the Cotic Soul I am thinking of (or On-One 456 or Genesis)So what do you all reckon I should go for with a max of 140mm travel?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Adjustab;e travel.. you want a Uturn for starters.
    That leaves you with:
    Race Air Uturn
    Team Air Uturn
    xx Air Uturn.

The Team and xx have the blackbox technology whereas the Race has motion control.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    What's the difference?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Blackbox is the newer damping system, motion control is the older one. Blackbox is supposed to be a little better, I've not used it, but I've never felt motion control's really lacking myself.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • What's the difference?
    check out SRAM website... its all on there :)