Words in conversation (OT)

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Inspired by Attica's "malodorous" comment in the "you lot" thread.

I am gonna try and fit "malodorous" into conversation or a meeting today at somepoint. So, my challenge to you guys is: fit a random/insignificant/clever/big word into a meeting or conversation.

Give us the word/scenario and how you managed to jam the word in.

In a previous meeting I enlightened some senior management in a high level meeting that we have a technical network failure because of "Bad Trumpets" - and got away with it.

So come on....give it some randomness today.

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Haha, your bad trumpets remind me of "Shatners Basoon"

I once explained away an Exchange server fault because the "DFA Switch" wasn't set.

Of course DFA stands for Does F All (nothing to do with the fact that the log files had filled the disc - is my geek showing? :wink: )
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Isn't malodorous a bit sesquipedalian? (that's me done for the day... :wink: )
  • attica
    Deptford, don't be so floccinaucinihilipilificatious
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    Deptford, don't be so floccinaucinihilipilificatious
    :lol:
  • Attica wrote:
    Haha, your bad trumpets remind me of "Shatners Basoon"

I once explained away an Exchange server fault because the "DFA Switch" wasn't set.

Of course DFA stands for Does F All (nothing to do with the fact that the log files had filled the disc - is my geek showing? :wink: )

I have often thought of doing this to get user's off my back.....

A favorite quote I remember in times like this:
    If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with you bull$hit!"
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Inspired by Attica's "malodorous" comment in the "you lot" thread.

I am gonna try and fit "malodorous" into conversation or a meeting today at somepoint. So, my challenge to you guys is: fit a random/insignificant/clever/big word into a meeting or conversation.

Give us the word/scenario and how you managed to jam the word in.

In a previous meeting I enlightened some senior management in a high level meeting that we have a technical network failure because of "Bad Trumpets" - and got away with it.

So come on....give it some randomness today.

I see a flaw in your plan.

Any word I use in work to the majority of callers which isn't a swear word will be big and clever and any word I use to Jake he will be able to out do me easily with something even more big and clever than I could every hope to aspire to. :(
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Not clever or witty, but many moons ago my fellow bar staff and I used to play the 'f*ck you game'...

The idea of the game was to replace 'thank-you' with 'f*ck you' in conversation with a customer, and you gained more points the more blatant you were, as long as you got away with it.

It's amazing what people don't hear when they're not really listening. :D
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Not clever or witty, but many moons ago my fellow bar staff and I used to play the 'f*ck you game'...

The idea of the game was to replace 'thank-you' with 'f*ck you' in conversation with a customer, and you gained more points the more blatant you were, as long as you got away with it.

Now I would try that one in work if our calls weren't recorded and audited :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • attica
    Not clever or witty, but many moons ago my fellow bar staff and I used to play the 'f*ck you game'...

Somebody took this to it's logical extreme
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • as a grad student in a chemistry lab, my colleagues english isn't the best. I have to restrain myself to simple words otherwise they don't understand :(

that said, i can use the wrong words sometimes, just to confuse them!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707

Heard a superb one regarding getting announcements at Heathrow. Someone posing as a taxi driver approached Airport Information and said they were meeting a Mr Makolig Juspharted and Leftiroom Dahbashtard and could they announce this. They did and clips are on the web somewhere, it is hilarious!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    edited December 2009
    Following on from the theme

I really don't want to share this as it's my most triumphent 'wordy' moment ever and I'm very protective of it (you can tell from the following I don't have that many moments)

In a bar, my mate orders a pint with a dash, the bar man turns to me and askes if I would like a dash also, I reply "no thank you I like my beer like my men; straight". Absolute genius...

I feel almost equidistant between telling that story and not, however I decided to share with you all.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • I used to work s a supervisor in a Photo Lab and was 'managed' by the bosses son, A management course numpty without a clue.

He'd regularly complain to me about the paper wastage (AKA getting it right for the customer) and I'd regularly fob him off telling him that it was bad perebolas in the emulsion layer.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    LOL - I managed to get the phrase "Sofa of my Lethargy" into my morning management meeting!
  • My favourite one is callipygian. It means, "Having, or pertaining to shapely buttocks". :D
  • attica
    gtvlusso wrote:
    LOL - I managed to get the phrase "Sofa of my Lethargy" into my morning management meeting!

Gotta love early Supergrass
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Wallace1492

I have said file of airport announcements it is a word file with audio attachments, however I can't past it into this reply, any ideas how to post it or are word file strictly off limits?[/url]
  • Wallace1492
    owenlars wrote:
    Wallace1492

I have said file of airport announcements it is a word file with audio attachments, however I can't past it into this reply, any ideas how to post it or are word file strictly off limits?[/url]

I think it is brilliant. I cannot access it from work, and forgot to try and link in last night.
    I would think just sticking in the URL link would do, doubt you can link in audio attachments.

GO ON PEOPLE - HAVE A LISTEN!!
  • attica
    http://www.queenhill.demon.co.uk/airspeak/air_speak.htm

I think this is the page in question
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Wallace1492
    Attica wrote:
    http://www.queenhill.demon.co.uk/airspeak/air_speak.htm

I think this is the page in question

That's the one - its excellent! Especially "My Colleague Just Farted...."
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541

You would only have gotten "is that an offer or insult?" from me. :lol:

I try to listen as I work IT support on phones and I know how much it annoys me when people don't listen.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    The very same