Gear cable through swingarm

cunning-stunt
cunning-stunt Posts: 614
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Ok I know you should thread the new cable through the old outer then replace the outer but I binned the lot.
Anyone got any tips for getting new cables and outers through a swingarm?

Kicking it is not a tip btw.. :wink:
=========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me

Comments

• try poking some stiff wire through then pushing the outer onto it, and pulling it back through.

But basically good luck!
  • That's about as much as I could come up with, straightened coat hanger. Should I order a kicking post?

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hang the frame vertical, remove any grommets and go for it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 45 degree kink is already mocking me :cry:
    Manufacturers have to be so bloody clever..

• you'll find that threading it one way is easier than the other as the hole is in a way that just pushing leads the cable to the exit, try hanging it vertically both ways.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cunning-stunt

the frame is a?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Commie 08 Meta 666

• Hey I don't know much about MTB but I've had a thought. What if you tie a small ferromagnetic object like a small screw or washer onto a piece of thread. Drop this through the entry hole, then pull it along the inside of the swingarm using a strong magnet from the outside to the exit hole. If that works then you can use the thread to pull the gear cable through.

Just a thought.
  • Ok I know you should thread the new cable through the old outer then replace the outer but I binned the lot.

Kicking it is not a tip btw.. :wink:

Sorry had a chuckle, my mate pulled his outer out of his GT, same problem. I'll ask him how he fixed it.
    P.S I'm glad I'm not the only one who does silly things!
  • He used a welding rod. The hoover trick almost worked.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Ok I know you should thread the new cable through the old outer then replace the outer but I binned the lot.
    I did this (once) on my Proflex :(
    Some 23-gauge stranded wire is the perfect size and stiffness to push through the cable noodle.

And don't do it again :twisted: