Cairngorms.

Stoo61
Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
edited December 2009 in Routes
Looking to do a two day loop in the Cairngorms...any ideas, tips for mapping routes etc?

Anyone well educated in that particular range?

Comments

• KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    Go to http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php and search for Mount Keen (I can't add the link for some reason). I did this one in October and it's an arduous climb (for me anyway) and I must admit I had to push/carry the bike a couple of times on the way up. I also got caught in a heavy rainshower so I was soaked and it was very cold and windy at the top, so bring warm clothing. I started from the car park at Invermark in Glenesk.
    It's a fantastic place with great scenery and the most easterly of the Munroes (over 3000ft).

Cooked the brakes on the way down too. There's a fair bit of loose shingle on the way up, and because this was a bit wet, I couldn't get traction so had to walk some of it. Make sure someone knows where you are if you're doing it alone because there are some drops off the trail which are steep, and I couldn't get a reception on the phone from the start of glenesk until I reached the top of the mountain.

There are other routes nearby too you can search and download from the same site.
  • carrbridge-boat of garten-ryvoan pass is a good 40 k trip, get the maps for the area from bkely.com or co.uk cant remember which, well worth a look, consider the burma road too, well good fun!!!
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • +1 for the Burma Road. Nice wee jaunt that me & the missus did 2 or 3 months ago.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    I would watch out for snow this time of year already reported down to 600M
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    Ryvoan pass is good by bike or by foot. if there is alot of snow you could have a look at the shorter trails behind the badaguish centre in rothiemurcus, some superb tight little techy sections
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222