Boardman Hybrid Pro or Comp

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I have to apply for my C2W vouchers tomorrow and can't decide whether to get the Boardman Comp or Pro.

There is £300 diff between them.

I tried a £1000 Hybrid Limited Edition on Saturday and it was lovely. Will the Comp feel as good?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    moonio wrote:
    I have to apply for my C2W vouchers tomorrow and can't decide whether to get the Boardman Comp or Pro.

I tried a £1000 Hybrid Limited Edition on Saturday and it was lovely. Will the Comp feel as good?

Hydraulic disc brakes
    Carbon forks
    Better rims - ooow er!
    SRAM X7/X9 instead of X5
    Slightly better crankset
    and 1.2KG lighter, not that I have any idea what KG means of course

That would be just about £300 worth of upgrades, either way I'm sure it's a nice ride but to be honest I bought my Ridgeback storm for £210 new and have only changed the oil, seatpost, saddle, tyres & chain in three years.

Edit: I think having a compact chainset on a hybrid is very bizarre esp. so in London when would you ever use a 34T up at the front, seems like a very odd gear selection.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • moonio wrote:

I'm going to be faced with a similar choice around March time as my firm is with Hellfrauds too - though I can also apparently use another shop which gives me the option of getting a Trek Fx7.6 - decisions decisions
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    itboffin wrote:
    moonio wrote:

Edit: I think having a compact chainset on a hybrid is very bizarre esp. so in London when would you ever use a 34T up at the front, seems like a very odd gear selection.

Is that a high or low gear? I have lots of hills on my commute so hoping the gearing will be ok for that.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    moonio wrote:

I'm not sure whether about how much better the Pro would feel compared to the comp, but I bought on the basis of getting the best one in the range then I'll never get 'upgrade-itis'. I'm still happy with my choice.

PS: not had any real issues with gearing: 20th is good enough for any flat out hill I've come across in London and 1st is fine for me to get up any hill I've come across.

Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]