Saddle advice

Sailingalong
Sailingalong Posts: 156
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Hi guys.
Had some pain on the inside of top leg on the inside, and I'm pretty sure it was caused by the saddle being a bit too wide for me.
So what do you think of those really thin saddles (look like an arrow) :shock: as it would give me a bit more freedom.

It may be the answer for me so any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    get along to a good bike shop and ask them to size up your bum. ( dont worrie they use a gell pad on a bit of wood and give you a number in MM of sit bone to sit bone... im about 140mm so i fit well on a 143mm saddle.

the saddle needs to be wide enough to fit your sit bones any wider and you will get rubbing.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Thanks Bikerbaboon, I didn't even know you could get measured for a saddle. Can't go through this pain again.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    oh and minty arse lard can help on the longer rides.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Udder ... 360038454/
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    get along to a good bike shop and ask them to size up your bum. ( dont worrie they use a gell pad on a bit of wood and give you a number in MM of sit bone to sit bone... im about 140mm so i fit well on a 143mm saddle.

the saddle needs to be wide enough to fit your sit bones any wider and you will get rubbing.

To clarify, this is a Specialized BG fit system... Not available just anywhere... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Bontrager also do this saddle fit system, if the OP can get to a Bontrager stockist if not Specialized.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Ands wrote:
    Bontrager also do this saddle fit system, if the OP can get to a Bontrager stockist if not Specialized.

:oops: I stand corrected..... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Thanks for all replies. Tried a slimmer ssddle this morn and it's a lot better (not good enough yet) but it tells me part of the prob.
    The other part of the problem is I could do with the saddle further back but I have it at the limit on the bolts. This was creasing me as well.
    How do I get the saddle further back when it's on the limit?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Fit a seat post with more set back.
    You should not be too far back however. As a rough guide you should have the knotch under your knee cap straight above the pedal spindle with the crank at 3 o'clock. This is not set in stone but is always a good starting point.