What to pack? (yes i know theres loads already but hey)

forcutty
forcutty Posts: 1,055
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
So my commute is as below 16 miles off road, now normally i'd only do this in the summer but due too my car accident today, i'm gonna have to bike. No street lights, fields and gates! What should i pack just in case i break down/hungry. Ive got a saddle bag with innertube,zip ties puncture kit and a pump. Will also have a backpack but unsure exactly what to put init?
Oh and i'll be riding a heavily modded GT Avalanche. :shock:

4150546268_dfab20a135_m.jpg

7-13mls is an old railway track and as you can see is a gentle incline. the rest except the last 2miles is off road. My best time is 1hr5mins but it usually takes 1hr20mins.Is this a half decent time for winter or should i allow longer. :?

Comments

• "hope for the best, prepare for the worst", basically pack anything you feel may go wrong on your gt, (spare tubes, pump, hex keys, chain splitter) and for yourself, (first aid, food, water, lights, maybe a whistle) and definitely allow more time for winter, its cold so you will get fatigued easier, the winds are stronger and visibility is often worse, a handy option to bear in mind is to have a safety net of calling someone prior to your departure so you wont be alone for ages if somethings gone badly wrong, best of luck and enjoy your commute!
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Chuck in one of those silver foil blanket things they put around marathon runners when they've finished. Just in case. They pack down less than the size of a pack of fags and weigh next to nothing but will help keep you warm and the wind off you if the worst should happen.
    us0.png
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Warm jacket. Head torch.

Chances are that what's comfortable for riding won't be comfortable for fixing a mechanical or a p*****ure. And trying to fix anything with a bike-light in one hand is challenging!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Sounds like a very remote commute.

I would recomend a revolver and a single cartridge...... just in case......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Some cut down tyre/rubber bits of various sizes incase you split a sidewall...
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    For my 15 miles each way of pretty grim canal path/mud/gravel I have:

multi-tool
    tyre levers
    spare tube
    puncture kit
    chain tool

The furthest away you can ever be is only 8 miles which isn't that bad if you had to walk home pushing the bike.

In summer on the bike I'm currently using the commute would take me about 55 minutes. With the weather at the moment it's more like 75.
  • forcutty
    multi-tool -got
    tyre levers-got
    spare tube -got
    puncture kit -got
    cableties -got
    first aid kit -got
    mobile -got
    mars bar- got
    chain tool -er yeah i'd better pack one
    Head torch.-don't have one
    silver foil blanket-don't have one
    tyre/rubber bits-will make some!!!

for lights iv'e got a maglite(140lumens) Cateye EL-320 (1000 candlepower)and a Terralux torch(220 lumens)on the front and a blackburn mars on the back.Do you think it'll be enough? :)
    Iv'e got to make a bracket for the terralux but it should be o.k
  • rhext
    The lights sound fine.

But I seriously recommend either a head torch or a means of mounting one of your lights to your helmet. Having had to fix a p***ture in the pitch black using only bike lights in the past, it's definitely an experience to be avoided. Particularly if you're facing an 8 mile walk home if you can't get it done. You might be able to get a headband for the maglight which would do the trick. You just need some means of illuminating what you're working on without using one hand.
  • forcutty
    oh well as i don't have headband suppose it may be a bit tricky. There is a few farms on the way so if needs be i'll have to walk and plead for light/tea and biscuits. :lol:
  • rhext
    Tell you what, if you are unlucky enough to get caught out, this'll be the best £6.99 you ever spent....

http://www.penroseoutdoors.co.uk/acatal ... dband.html
  • forcutty
    cheers yeah i've seen them. its just that i'm not going to be able to get one by tomorrow. :(
  • Petzl head light, essential when trying fix puncture/chain etc in the dark. The lite model packs down to about the size of a matchbox and weighs next to nothing.

Plus they make an ok spare light to get you home if your main lights fail.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Spare lights
    Spare Bateries
    A waterproof coverup thing that packs down to nothing
    Spare sweater
    Some hot snapz ;)http://www.hotsnapz.com/FAQ.htm
    Some emergency food
    Reflective tape on the bike

I can't really think of anything else
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Fudge ?

:lol:

(great emergency energy food is fudge. Much less brittle than Kendal Mint Cake too....)
    Misguided Idealist
  • forcutty
    So this week so far i've had too ride into work twice.
    Thats 64 miles and my legs don't feel too bad. Took loads of high five zero energy drink and i can't rate it higher, the stuffs ace. :lol:
    Came across some zombie runners, lost coppers and a lot of mud! lots of fun was had but doing it long term is insane!! So i'm going car shopping tomorrow.
    I really don't like cars that much but i know i can't keep cycling in as it tires me out!
    Can't wait till the new year and being closer to work, then the car can sit in the drive doing naff all and the bike can rain supreme again!
    Food wise i took frusli bars as i thought they'd give slower burning energy and the high five drink for rapid hydration etc. Then a elevanses bar and a chocolate frijj (asda 50p)when i got to work as a treat. :lol:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    forcutty wrote:
    I really don't like cars that much but i know i can't keep cycling in as it tires me out!

Ah - keep it up for a few weeks, and we'll see you in the Tour de France next year! :D
    forcutty wrote:
    Food wise i took frusli bars as i thought they'd give slower burning energy

That's what I use on day rides. They get a bit bland and cardboardy after a long day but they keep me going. Good fuel.
  • forcutty
    iain_j wrote:
    forcutty wrote:

Ah - keep it up for a few weeks, and we'll see you in the Tour de France next year! :D
    forcutty wrote:
    Food wise i took frusli bars as i thought they'd give slower burning energy

That's what I use on day rides. They get a bit bland and cardboardy after a long day but they keep me going. Good fuel.

Yeah my boss is calling me Bradley Wiggins and mad!! :roll:
    The cardboard taste got worse after the "new improved recipe"
    Jordons should just leave the old product line alone and maybe make a specific natural energy bar instead!!