Singlespeed. Cassette

spaniamania
spaniamania Posts: 80
edited December 2009 in Road general
Hi just buildin my singlespeed.
Removed gears from rear wheel.
Its one big solid lump.
Now can i saw this up to use as a spacer?
On you tube the bloke smashes up a cassette and uses that for gears n spacers.
What should i do?

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Would be neater just to get a spacer kit. Check velosolo.com

Matthew
  • thanks i have got the Gusset set.
    It does not screw on to the threads.
    Am I doing somthing wrong?
    Just get the impression if I Pedal the cogs going to spin but the wheel wont.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Pics of the hub, sounds like you have a screw-on hub.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    If you have a screw on hub then you can get a BMX freewheel for £5-10. They go up to 18t and even 20t if you can find one.
  • If you have a screw on freewheel you can use a fixed sprocket. A bottom bracket lockring will also fit on this thread, but will not be as secure as a proper fixed lockring which has a left hand thread.
    This is known as a 'suicide' setup because if you stop pedaling you can end up unscrewing the sproket. However if you are using a rear brake you might get away with it, and it is a cheap way to start fixed.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ loctite the sprocket on. Green loctite is the strongest, I think.

I think he wants to go singlespeed rather than fixed though.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I think you're getting mixed-up between a freewheel and a cassette - a freewheel includes the bearings and pawls and screw onto the hub whereas a cassette is a series of sprockets that fits over a splined fitting on the hub - the bearings and pawls are built into the hub. By the sound of it, you have a screw-on fitting on your hub - if you want singlespeed, simply fit a single speed freewheel as suggested.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..