Gortex jackets

XxxBFGxxX
XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Just thought i would share with you all. I have been looking for a jacket for tirding for a while. But 150 quid for a named windproof waterproof jacket is a joke.

This got me think army jackets. So a quick search on ebay got me a ex army new gortex jacket for 45 quid.

This worn with my endura baa baa is totaly brill wore it today and it felt lightt to ride in and i was warm enough.

so if ya looking ofr a jacket check out the army stores for gortex.

cheers geordie

Comments

• Being ex military, they are unlined, no cut and designed to be invisible. Not any of the things on my list of requirements for a good jacket. Yes Gore is expensive, but I figure that the £100 I spent 6 years ago has well been repaid and if I'm honest I could get another two out of it even though I commute. I rode around work a few times in my mil spec one, now I like sailing but not on the bike.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • XxxBFGxxX
    its as a good option for someone that is looking for one tho mate. i liek the way mine fits even ifits a little long but it stop my arse getting soaked
  • Being ex military, they are unlined, no cut and designed to be invisible. Not any of the things on my list of requirements for a good jacket.

+1

My Gore tex DPM camo jacket remains in the same place, in the shed, from when it was last put away after a fishing trip 4 years ago.

It still amazes me that there is not one single Hi Viz Gore Tex commuting jacket available with a decent amount of reflective material on the back. No wonder the guy from Lightweights.org sells so many of those reflective clothing stickers.
  • XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    Just thought i would share with you all. I have been looking for a jacket for tirding for a while. But 150 quid for a named windproof waterproof jacket is a joke.

This got me think army jackets. So a quick search on ebay got me a ex army new gortex jacket for 45 quid.

This worn with my endura baa baa is totaly brill wore it today and it felt lightt to ride in and i was warm enough.

cheers geordie
    i thought just the same as you about gortex jackets,so did the same as you went on ebay got a goretex army jacket cost me £20,have worn it in all conditions, wet,cold,windy and its just great, keeps me warm and dry and i also wear a merino base layer underneath it
    andy
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:

cheers geordie
    i thought just the same as you about gortex jackets,so did the same as you went on ebay got a goretex army jacket cost me £20,have worn it in all conditions, wet,cold,windy and its just great, keeps me warm and dry and i also wear a merino base layer underneath it
    andy

to me its defo another option tot he exopensive stuff out there.