cheap turbo wheel

fuzzynavel
fuzzynavel Posts: 718
edited December 2009 in Road buying advice
Got myself a kurt kinetic to play with...now I need a new/second hand back wheel so that I can have it fitted with a turbo tyre full time.

Saw wheels on chain reaction for £24,99 but was too slow and they are now discontinued...

Does anyone have any other ideas as wiggle/ribble etc can't compete with that price. Would prefer one cheap as chips as it shouldn't need to be that durable for turbo use.

Also are there any 9 speed tiagra compatible screw on cassettes?....the cheap wheels seem to like to use screw ons for some reason!
17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!

Comments

• sea_v
    sea_v Posts: 1
    I had a similar idea and bought a Rigida Flyer wheel with Shimano freehub from www.woollyhatshop.com for £41. Turned up in a few days and is great for turbo use.

Carl
  • sea_v wrote:
    I had a similar idea and bought a Rigida Flyer wheel with Shimano freehub from www.woollyhatshop.com for £41. Turned up in a few days and is great for turbo use.

Carl

thanks for that,

have had a look and there are some competitive prices on there.

Shame I chucked out my spare wheel when I had a shed clearout a month or so ago!
  • I like the idea of this as well... my bike is a 10 speed Ultegra though - would I need to buy a wheel that can fit a 10 speed cassette?

What would you say the total cost is? I guess you'd need the wheel itself, the cassette, inner tube and tyre?
  • Same wheels on CRC at the moment, £39.99 a PAIR with an EXTRA 10% off this weekend !! £36.00 !!!! Bargain ! :D They take a Shimano 10 speed cassette no probs (I bought a pair last week for my turbo bike)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Cheers for the tip.

Actually I'd rather put a cheap Tiaga 8 speed on the cheap wheel. But if my usual drivechain is 10 speed, will i need to use a 10 speed instead?
  • 10 speed shifters and chain, then you`ll need to use a 10 speed cassette.

• I ended up with the pair of wheels and a cassette from CRC and a trainer tyre and inner tube from Wiggle. now I am all set to buy a spinervals DVD and get sweaty...
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Same wheels on CRC at the moment, £39.99 a PAIR with an EXTRA 10% off this weekend !! £36.00 !!!!

What wheel is this? Anyone got a link?
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=42536

I got a pair, look OK for the money

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537

Thanks - please post some feedback when you've used it. The one review on the website absolutely slates them.
  • Mines on the turbo bike with a turbo tyre, it`s absolutely round, doesn`t wobble or anything untoward :? I`ve done probably 50 miles on it so far without any drama and not expecting any. The wheels look easily as good as any cheaper end OE wheels I`ve seen, the standard Jalco wheels on a basic Spesh Allez don`t look any better or worse TBH.

I only bought the pair as I needed the front one to the forks off the ground :) Fitted with an ultra cheep tyre, never turned a wheel. Both wheels are indeed round though :)

If that guy with the bad review had a bad wheel then he shoulda sent it back asap. Could easily have been damaged in transit. Sure they would look sympathetically on it as it`s new, unless he`s not great at fitting tyres, maybe he buckled the thing ? :wink:

• so what's the cheapest shimano-compatible 10 speed cassette? 105 I guess?