Kona Stuff < 456

rubins4
rubins4 Posts: 563
edited March 2011 in Your mountain bikes
After having my GT Zaskar nicked last year (bastards) I thought i would put something together on the cheap! So thought for a bit of fun i would get everything off ebay that i didnt have knocking about at home, so here it is! I think cranks, BB, and pedals were the only things i had already. Some of the stuff is brand new from ebay, the rest is 2nd hand.
Tell a lie, saddle, seatpost and headset were shop bought. :oops:

DSC02536.jpg
DSC02542.jpg
DSC02541.jpg
DSC02540.jpg

Chassis:
Frame: Kona Stuff (2000 so I'm told!)
Forks: RS Tora 302 U turns, 2009
Rims: Halo Combat 24" (F+R)
Tyres: DMR Moto RT 24x2.3

Drive train:
XT 9sp shifter
9sp chain, cassette and XT rear mech (all brand new)
24Seven 3 piece cranks and rubbish pedals.

Brakes:
Avid Juicey 5's (203mm front, 180mm Rear)
Goodridge Stainless Steel braided hoses in blue.

Steering:
Husselfelter oversized riser bars and stubby stem.

Bontrager saddle and budget seatpost.
Gusset Slim Jims, standard length pins.

Comments/criticism welcome. :wink:
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Bit different from the Zaskar, what do you plan to use it for? - It'll certainly take the hits - nice bike
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Not bad at all!
    Got a rough estimate as to how much it all cost you?
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • rubins4
    Cheers guys!

I had the zaskar when i lived out in the countryside, but have since moved to the city so mostly just playing around the street and a bit of transport. I think i may have gone a bit overboard with the specs to be honest with you.

I was running a list of parts and prices as i wanted to know myself, but that went out the window. I would put it in the region of £450, possibly £400. I think thats quite good value for what i ended up with, I dont think i could get that from the shops. What do you guys think, should i have just bought a complete bike 2nd hand or from the shops?
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Ahhhhhhhhhh good old Kona Stuff, i used to have the same one as that with Black Halo combats on it. Its a 2000 model that one :) Cracking little bikes and pretty bomb proof also. Loved mine till the chav tastics nicked it :cry:
  • rubins4
    Sorry to hear that, seems nothing is safe these days. :cry:

I was thinking of gaffer taping the frame up to make it look more of a shed to maybe deter the chavs, do you reckon its worth it, and what else, bar selling it and getting a proper hack, can i do?
  • rubins4
    Just thought I would update this as I've had a change of forks...

The inside edge of one of the drop outs on the Dirt Jumper 3's had cracked and worn out some of the material, either through not tightening the QR up enough/not fitting the axle into the drop outs properly/brakes are just too awesome and tried to rip the wheel out ( :lol: ) or some combination of the three. Anyway, every time i used the front brake it would pull the axle out of 'true' in the drop outs, resulting in some weird steering characteristics and savage brake rub. As well as being incredibly annoying, it was also down right dangerous, so I invested in some new forks sharp-ish....

Photo0025.jpg

So, a pair of 302 U-Turns were aquired from Evans in Brighton.

I really like em, but I'm a bit worried that they wont take some of the knocks that the DJ3's could, particularly some of the ham-fisted drop off I'm likely to manage around town. On the other hand, they are considerably lighter, have more and smoother travel and lock out. I guess I'll just have to be a bit easier on them.
  • Looks nice mate :) i miss mine. This ones mine when i was changing bits on it

DSC00161.jpg
  • rubins4
    :D:D

I love it, bwfc, i think thats identical to mine. Not as heavy as they look, are they? Although, they do look quite heavy! :lol:

Just to add, I got some slim jims in white during the summer, which are awesome pedals for the money. :idea:
  • rubins4
    Ok,
    I've made one or two slight alterations to the Stuff. It looks abit like this now...

Photo0090.jpg

Headset, brakes, shifters, grips have all been fitted now.

Just waiting to fit seatpost/clamp/seat, front mech, gear cables, chain, rim tape/inner tubes.

Most of that has been sourced or ordered, so should be finished soon. I cant wait. I might do a full spec list when its done.
  • jaybo1973
    jaybo1973 Posts: 301
    rubins4 wrote:
    Ok,
    I've made one or two slight alterations to the Stuff. It looks abit like this now...

Photo0090.jpg

Headset, brakes, shifters, grips have all been fitted now.

Just waiting to fit seatpost/clamp/seat, front mech, gear cables, chain, rim tape/inner tubes.

Most of that has been sourced or ordered, so should be finished soon. I cant wait. I might do a full spec list when its done.

My kona cindercone looks a bit like that now too ;)