perianal hematoma

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
From what i ca gather i have one of these, i thought it was just a simple haemorrhoid but because it has a blue/purple tinge it's a hematoma, apparently too much cycling can bring this on and i did bike hard in the gyn for 60 minutes with no padded shorts the other day.

Am i right in thinking it'll go away on it's own, my diet is very healthy so no problems there, been to see the doctor and he did suggest it will go away on it's own and will be the best form of action in most cases.

Anyone?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    A haematoma is in effect a bruise or blood blister, so with care that should resolve without treatment. But if in doubt see the doctor again.
  • Dazzza
    Well looks like it's gradually subsiding or at least feels like it is thank god i was getting worried at one stage, looks like i'll be wearing padded shorts next time i hit the bikes in the gym, they have quite a pointy nose so i guess that's what caused the problem in the first place.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    I had exactly this about a month ago.
    It's sometimes called an external pile but it's not.
    It is where the blood vessel bursts/enlarges and causes a clot of blood apparently, so my GP said.
    They gave me a steroid cream which took 4-5 days to work but then all was fine.
    Excrutiatingly painful and if the non-evasive treatments don't work surgery is considered.

Cycling doesn't cause it but won't make it any better.

Can't believe I just put this on a forum :oops:
    I ride therefore I am
  • Dazzza
    edited December 2009
    Pain yeah tell me about it, it's kept me away from work for two days so far i though it was just a haemorrhoid but after a lot of reading it's like i said a haematoma, nasty piece of work.

Gp didn't say much just that it should sort itself out on it's own or as a last resort surgery, hurt for the last two days but now it's setting, big bugger too so for now i'll leave it go cross my fingers and and legs and hope it goes.

Im assuming you're fine and well now, what sparked yours off, i think mine was overdoing it on the bike in the gym or my job at work which involves heavy lifting.

Won't be diet related as that's spot on.
    Giant Anthem X
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    any general straining would potentially bring one one. Many are just seen as "piles" then they reduce after a week or two. Only if they stay and start going hard do they generally need any intervention. Like it or not, the general direction of movement in the bowel is predisposed to pushing things out, even the fittest person with the best diet can end up with hemorrhoids. From what you say I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.
    I used to work in operating theatres and have seen a few.
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Am fine now thanks.
    very aware of not "pushing" too much............if you know what I mean.
    I went to the loo followed by a run, 5 miles or so. Imediately felt in pain and it got worse very quickly.
    Were you lifting any weights at the Gym ? That would do it.
    I wouldn't leave it too long if it doesn't settle quickly.
    I ride therefore I am