Converting Kona Dew (flat bar 700c hybrid) to Drop Bars

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited December 2009 in The workshop
Hello

I'm thinking of converting my flat bar 700c Kona Dew hybrid commuter to drop handlebars. Has anyone had a go at doing similar? Any tips or warnings?

Similarly, does anyone out there own a Kona Dew Drop (which is the inspiration for my idea)? What's it like?

Kona Dew Drop
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kona_ ... 360039059/

Thanks in advance for friendly thoughts, tips and ideas.

Alex

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Obviously you'll need new brake levers and shifters for a start, and if/how well they work will depend on what you've got at the moment.

For instance, if you've got normal V brakes you'll probably need new ones if you want to use them with road levers, and if you have an MTB- style mech that probably won't work with road shifters either.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Thanks

I've got an 8-speed deore rear mech and a triple shimano no name on the front. It's quite hard to find 8 speed integrated shifters now - so far I've found Sora.

The brakes are cantilever (direct pull) - does anyone know if road shifters will work OK with these? I can't see why not.

@ratsbey
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Thanks

I've got an 8-speed deore rear mech and a triple shimano no name on the front. It's quite hard to find 8 speed integrated shifters now - so far I've found Sora.

The brakes are cantilever (direct pull) - does anyone know if road shifters will work OK with these? I can't see why not.

They won't work because of the amount of cable pulled by the lever- a quick search on here will find more on this. I think there are workarounds though, like travel agents or getting mini-vs.

Not sure on the mech but I've a feeling you might have problems there too- somebody who knows for sure will be along soon I'm sure!
  • ratsbeyfus
    Thanks Mr Chuck

I've been googling this problem as well - yep it all looks a bit confusing and nasty...

oh dear I've opened pandora's box of bicycle componentry!

@ratsbey
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When it comes to the brakes you have two options, travel adjuster type things or mini v-brakes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ratsbeyfus
    What's a mini v-brake? Is it, um, a small V brake? Does it still attach to the braze ons?

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus
    ooh... Ignore last post...I just googled mini v-brakes. They look great! Dia compe's name keeps coming up, but according to bike radar's review they still feel spongy when used with sti levers. Does anyone have any recommendations about mini v brakes and shimano sti levers? What are the tektro mini v-brakes like?

@ratsbey
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I used some Acor mini v's with Sora STIs on my MTB when I ran it with drops and had no problems with them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • third option, get cantilever brakes
    <a>road</a>
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    You could look at the spec of the Dew drop to see what kit they use. Also, the tech forum on the konaworld website would have a few suggestions too.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Thanks for suggestions.

I want to avoid cantilever brakes as I have some fat cyclo-x type tyres I use sometimes. The Kona dew-drop uses disc brakes, but my dew doesn'y have the braze on's for them. Mini - V's sound good, if there'll be enough clearance for for x-tyres.

@ratsbey