Look Keo Easy pedals How easy are they?

Synapse2010
Synapse2010 Posts: 55
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Look claim that the above clipless pedals are the easiest pedals to disenage out of is this the case. Considering that you cannot adjust them anyone out there using them? I am a newbie to clipless pedals so I am looking for something that doen't take much effort to disengage. :wink:
I don't sleep with my bike really!

002-2.jpgSummer Bike

Comments

• BAD DECISION!!! If it were me, I would get a pair of Keo classics and crank the tension down. spending 70$ for a pedal that has a static tension is just not worth it. As far as how "easy" it is, by releasing tension on a normal keo pedal, such as the classic(which has the same shape as the easy) you can make it just as easy to clip in and out.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Not such an easy question.

If you are nervous I would start with SPD - then you can take advantage of platform type pedals(see below) - meaning you can pedal unclipped , and clicking in first time isn't so vital.

I started with SPD - and about 2 years back - I switched to spd\sl - these make you feel more attached to the bike - and are great when pedaling - they are slightly more tricky to get into , as there is less pedal to aim at. then my spd pedals

these are what I started with - and still use for commuting :-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Wellg ... 360006644/

£20 you can't go wrong !
  • pmac1893 wrote:
    BAD DECISION!!! If it were me, I would get a pair of Keo classics and crank the tension down. spending 70$ for a pedal that has a static tension is just not worth it. As far as how "easy" it is, by releasing tension on a normal keo pedal, such as the classic(which has the same shape as the easy) you can make it just as easy to clip in and out.

+1 - standard Look Keo are disgustingly easy on their own. Never tried the "Easy", but honestly there is no need to IMO.
  • Thanks for the advice, but IMO! not sure what you mean. :oops:

002-2.jpgSummer Bike
  • In My Opinion ;)
  • brh77
    brh77 Posts: 242
    I got KEO easy for £9.99, so was happy to try, and 4 months later, I still have not fallen over while clipped in which I imagine is a greater testament to the pedals than my balance...
  • That's what I wanted to hear will definitely give them a try watch this space!

002-2.jpgSummer Bike
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    edited November 2009
    clipping out has more to do with technique, and less to do with spring tension - adjustable or otherwise.

If you are doing it wrong, you will still fall over - no matter if you are using a £10 pedal or a £100 pedal.
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    I got the Easy's as my first SPD-SL pedals, and have had no problem with them. I have fallen over once, but that was my fault and not the pedals :oops:

I have a new bike on order currently, and am tempted to get the Easy's again, as I dont see the need for the adjustment personally, as I have no problem with the Easy's...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    To me it makes more sense to me to go for the Keo Classics, and back them off to a low tension. As you get more confident you'll want to have the tension up higher - I have my tension up at max now.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • There are two side to this issue that both make sense the Easy's are on order from Chain Reaction, I am tempted to return them and go for the classics. :?

002-2.jpgSummer Bike
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I just got a set of Keo Classics and wondering what the technique for clipping out is? On my current SPDs clipping out is easy... just twist the heels out, it became a second nature. Is it the same for Keos? Is there a special technique? I don't want to "forget" which pedals I'm in and not be able to unclip!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    To me it makes more sense to me to go for the Keo Classics, and back them off to a low tension. As you get more confident you'll want to have the tension up higher - I have my tension up at max now.

+1 for this. Spot on.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    pst88 wrote:
    I just got a set of Keo Classics and wondering what the technique for clipping out is? On my current SPDs clipping out is easy... just twist the heels out, it became a second nature. Is it the same for Keos? Is there a special technique? I don't want to "forget" which pedals I'm in and not be able to unclip!

the pedals should have come with instructions - but either way the technique is identical...
  • I have a pair of Keo Easy's on the commuter bike so that I could use the same shoes and cleats from the main road bike, I paid £19 for mine about a a year and a half ago.

Not as 'easy' as a double sided spd in my opinion.

Ive not had any tension problems even under stress of hills and at speed..

If you can get the 'Easys' cheap enough they make a good second pedal or starter.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I started off with SPDs, because you can put the cleat for them on shoes with a bit of rubber on the sole, so it's not the end of the world if you miss the engage at first.

I've since used Keo Classics and Easy am using SPD SLs now, both pretty simple once you got used to them.

If it's a choice between easys/classics, I agree with the other posters - get the classics and turn the tension down, as you'll soon find you want them tighter and will out grow the easys.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Keo Easys are pretty good - the tension is set maybe a bit lighter than I would normally have it, but not too light. They are also very light - when compared to the Classics for example. I have the Sprints on my good bike and never bother with the adjustable tension anyway (I think the allen key head is knackered) so the Easys are a pretty good option - especially when available for £10 (my bro got a pair for a fiver!)
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010

Why? No need to have them on max unless you're a sprinter
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    APIII wrote:

Why? No need to have them on max unless you're a sprinter

Well I was implicitly talking about my SPD-SLs, I have pulled out of them pulling away from lights, trying to keep up with the hubmeister, so I have the tension cranked up these days - doesn't seem to provide any negatives, I don't have any issues clipping in or unclipping.

I have heard Look Keos have a stronger spring in the pedals and they take more force to clip in and out, but my Keo Classics only arrived today, so haven't had chance to try them, perhaps I won't need them at max.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Yeah, probably not. When I got my Keo's the default tension was set quite high. I think if it's too high you may have a higher risk of hurting yourself if you do come off.
  • I wouldn't disagree with any of this. Fwiw I've ridden Looks since I was fifteen. 20 years of experience in these and also with SPDs and my view is that unless you sprint or race or are a less than fluid pedaller then the Easys should be perfectly adequate, especially given that they can be obtained for pocket money and are lighter than the carbon equivalent.
  • here's my tuppence worth. I'd get the classic's. On the face of it the easy's are a good deal but you may prefer a different tension and then you have no choice. ultra light or tight are only for racing. as Daan says.

I have classics for general training and carbon for TT bike.

Although I had SPDs's to start with before going with look, in retrospect, there was no need.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business