Grand for XC bike.

BenChaffer
BenChaffer Posts: 82
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
Looking at Boardman Pro HT and GT Aggressor Elite (Possibly Boardman Team FS)

Leaning towards HT, don't think I need a rear shock for what I do (Road, Towpath and some Trail)

Cheers :D

Comments

• i would pick the 1 which has won the most awards.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Aggressor hasn't even been tested much so it's not had much chance to win awards. But, you say XC in the title so that's the Boardman. Or, possible, the Carrera Titan, though it's very XC, very focused.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Or, possible, the Carrera Titan, though it's very XC, very focused.
    Very XC? How does this work? :lol:
  • Northwind
    Ah, just a figure of speech... The Boardman (from what I could tell on my test rides) is the better allrounder, it's a bit more comfortable, bit more forgiving- whereas the Titan really felt like it had racing in mind, it's stiff and extremely responsive but it doesn't give the impression that it wants to go and do a black route or anything like that. I don't think the geometry's all that different but they felt different in use, basically the Titan feels faster and the Boardman feels, well, nicer.

Still, both very cool for a grand, I was close to buying either for my cycle to work. In the end, I bought neither, but I might have done ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bump :)
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    09 cube ltd race if you can get hold of one.
  • Hm, that Malt 4 looks good.
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=39
    What is the most efficient way to upgrade it though?
    I'm thinking SLX group and Recon SL fork. Is rim and finishing kit upgrades worth it?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Still more expensive than the Boardman, GT and Carerra, and the spec is a fair way behind.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    The Malt's nice, but bails is right, it doesn't bring enough to the table to justify the loss of spec IMO.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    You won't be disappointed with the Boardman and depending on where you live it maybe hard to test the Merlin. Value wise the Boardman is cracking, its also very light and willing. Since my mate changed from his GT to one of these I have to work hard to keep up with him :)
  • Hm, just seen this. Looks like a proper bargain. Only difference is brakes and finishing kit from what I see. This is getting tricky! :?
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Well my (unbiased :lol: ) view is...

Boardman all the way. The Team FS vs Pro HT will be down to the type of riding your doing obviously but from a Pro HT point of view, fantastic bike. You really won't be disappointed :D
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • I'm advising my partners Dad on one of these and it looks like everyone is pointing to the Chris Boardman Team \ Pro. I had a play with it and it was shockingly light.

My problem is the ride to work scheme :evil: it's not available via the schemes we've got available. So does anyone know what has a similar weight at as the Chris Boardman Team but from the usual suspects? (Spec\Trek\Marin etc)

Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread :D

T1b
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You'll struggle to get the same spec for the same price as the Boardman, and the bits bolted onto the frame are a big factor in the weight. Just look at the models, from each manufacturer that you'd be able to get, that fit at the top end of your budget.

Scott are usually good for lightweight though. The Scale is their XC hardtail range.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."