pedals

cal_stewart
cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
edited December 2009 in Road buying advice
new bike so buying some new shoes and pedals. looking at stainless speedplay zeros is there any others that are better at this price. been using shimano pedals but new bikes got campy on.
eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
Cervelo P5 EPS
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

Comments

• aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    edited December 2009
    I've always used various types of Time pedals and really liked them; for their float and large surface. However, my last two pairs have both broken. although in fairness i got at least 1 season out of each (1st pair was the basic grey ones, the next was the carbon version).

I've now moved to the SS Speedplay Zero's as of 6 month ago. The float was very different to begin with, your movement is so free it's odd to start with. After using for a month or so though i wouldn't have used anything else. Very, very secure once engaged, easy entry and release and you can really dial in your float.

Only downside is the cost of cleats, but they do look to wear much better than others, and i've spotted a few knocking about for around £30. (I bought a spare set for my winter shoes.)

I'd highly recommend the speedplays zero's, i imagine it will be a long time before anyone convinces me to try something else.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    +1 for the speedplays. Since making the switch from look style shimano pedals a couple of years ago I cannot imagine going back.

So easy to use - engaging the pedal is the easiest of any system I have tried as it doesn't matter which way up the pedal is and no more trying to catch the front of the pedal with the cleat like a look-style pedal. Very easy to service and keep clean as well.

The cost of replacement cleats is the only downside, although I believe they are supposed to be good for 5,000 miles of riding? The benefits of the additional float to my poor creaking knees is a price worth paying!

One other thought - I tried Speedplay Light Action Zero's recently when I found a pair cheap on ebay. Whilst I didn't exactly hate them, I was not happy at all with the amount of extra float. It felt like much more of an exaggerated action was needed to release your foot and there was a much more vague feeling when riding. I am not suggesting there was any danger of pulling out of the pedals, but they were definitely less confience inspiring IMO. I have now switched back to standard Zero's and much happier.