Irritating & Useless Warning/Help Messages...

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
edited December 2009 in The bottom bracket
I've got an EEE PC and really like it. Except for just 1 thing..

Each time I plug a lead into the headphone socket it pops up a box to say:

"Information You just plugged a device into the audio jack!"

Why? What possible function could this message serve? And why the exclamation mark!!!!!!! Its not as if I'm doing anything particularly dangerous or adventurous. I've tried putting various objects and parts of my anatomy into the socket and no warning. If such risky behaviour is condoned why warn if you use the hole for the manner intended??

And then when I unplug the lead it helpfully tells me "A jack has been unplugged".
Notice the lack of an explanation mark this time...when you may (very) perhaps think there may be some justification (e.g for those that like their Motorhead turned all the way up to 11 so have lost all sense of hearing but would like to spread the gospel of rock to throughout their neighbourhood?)

There are I think 2 reasons for this message:
- The programmer responsible is an imbecile
- The programmer responsible is an especially sophisticated sadist

I favour the latter.

Any other examples of such?

PS If anyone can help me get rid of message above (that doesn't involve use of a soldering iron or brick) I will be eternally grateful and happy to provide the wherewithall to purchase a beverage of choice.
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• I finally took the plunge with vista about 6 months ago and it has literally hundreds of stupid, annoying messages.

"This programme wants to open, allow?" YES! That's why i clicked on it! Every time I get asked this.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I finally took the plunge with vista about 6 months ago and it has literally hundreds of stupid, annoying messages.

"This programme wants to open, allow?" YES! That's why i clicked on it! Every time I get asked this.

rofl... I never installed Vista. Still got post os upgrade trauma from XP.

I love operating system upgrades. They all have the same advert.. "You know all those things that we got wrong last time, well just install this latest version (paying us money and wasting huge amounts of your time and making your PC run a lot slower in the process) and we'll fix them, Honest."

Indeed on topic the latest adverts from the Bill Gates Money Making Foundation definitely are irritating in the extreme.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Does anyone ever send the Microsoft error messages off when a programme 'ends unexpectedly' (it's not unexpected at all, the software is made by Microsoft so unexpected would be a full day without a crash!)?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I finally took the plunge with vista about 6 months ago and it has literally hundreds of stupid, annoying messages.

I disabled UAC, that gets rid of enough annoying messages that it has less than in Windows 7, allthough in Windows 7 I keep UAC on, it's not really that annoying. It does ask me if I want to run the .exe for WLM though.
    Pross wrote:
    Does anyone ever send the Microsoft error messages off when a programme 'ends unexpectedly' (it's not unexpected at all, the software is made by Microsoft so unexpected would be a full day without a crash!)?

Do you get allot of crashes?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Quite a few but to be fair it is mainly non-Microsoft design software I use that requires a lot of memory. Still get the silly message asking if I want to report it though!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross wrote:
    Quite a few but to be fair it is mainly non-Microsoft design software I use that requires a lot of memory. Still get the silly message asking if I want to report it though!

Control Panel | System | Advanced | Error Reporting | Disable Error Reporting
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I'm on win7. Perversely, installing it onto my netbook that had xp on before and no cd-drive was bliss, worked perfectly and hasn't missed a beat other than the day after doing the install i was presenting a meeting, and the damn thing wouldn't boot, grabbed a spare laptop and did the meeting and whilst another talk was going i fixed the issue.

The desktop however, going vista 32 to win 7 64 was a nightmare, ended up having to flash the bios, remove half the ram, the gpu and two HDD to get it finally install and boot happily. It however has not missed a step since i finally managed to install it.

No useless messages either.

OP, definitely a sophisticated sadist, linux programmers tend to fall into that camp; being sexually depraved sociopaths.
  • Pross wrote:

Has anyone ever answered yes? The only one I get (or that sticks in my memory) is when trying to shut down. 20% of the time I get a pop up advising me that wlanconfig is not responding, I dont care anymore as Im shutting you down anyway.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    sometimes when I open internet explorer it goes to a page called crash recovery and shows the last page I had opened and tells me that IE had crashed and do I want to go back to where I was. This would be great if it worked when IE crashed, however when IE crashes it doesn't think to save the last page so it doesn't come up. When I close IE normally it thinks its crashed and does this stupid thing! YOU HAVEN'T CRASHED....I CLOSED YOU, really annoys me!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Ollieda wrote:
    sometimes when I open internet explorer it goes to a page called crash recovery and shows the last page I had opened and tells me that IE had crashed and do I want to go back to where I was. This would be great if it worked when IE crashed, however when IE crashes it doesn't think to save the last page so it doesn't come up. When I close IE normally it thinks its crashed and does this stupid thing! YOU HAVEN'T CRASHED....I CLOSED YOU, really annoys me!

Don't use IE
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr